Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Windows 7 Downloads

Started by DarkestEx, May 01, 2015, 03:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

I just updated the links, as they were broken.
Have fun!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool, thanks, although I should be fine for now. That reminds me, I should check if I can access my serial key on my computer. I wonder if I could simply download a Windows 7 ISO, reformat then re-install 7 and use my current serial key, or if it would be like TI-Nspire Student Software with which each key can only be used once?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

ben_g

For windows 8 and up, serial keys are tied to cumputer hardware, so if you uninstall windows, you can reinstall it using the same key as long as you reinstall it on the same computer (it should even enter they key automatically then if you have an internet connection).
I don't know how windows 7 handles it though. I never installed Windows 7 from an ISO file, but I always used a CD. I used the same CD for several computers and they all ended up with a registered (genuine and non-trial) windows installation. I never checked if the product keys were different though.

Dream of Omnimaga

What if you replace a part of the hardware, such as the video card?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 27, 2015, 04:15:24 AM
What if you replace a part of the hardware, such as the video card?
I'm not sure how a changed video card would effect OS installation O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

novenary

Detecting that it's the same machine for the key. That said I think it's probably based on the CPU serial number or something. Or it's the OEM thing where the BIOS stores the key.
Please don't buy windows

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 27, 2015, 11:26:52 AM
Detecting that it's the same machine for the key. That said I think it's probably based on the CPU serial number or something. Or it's the OEM thing where the BIOS stores the key.
Please don't buy windows
But if you change the CPU?

Also yes Linux is better, I would switch right now and forever, but so many tools that I use everyday are Windows only.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

novenary

Quote from: DarkestEx on September 27, 2015, 11:29:28 AM
But if you change the CPU?
You're screwed ? :P Windows hates it when you change hardware without reinstalling too which is a huge pain in the butt. Not sure about a CPU or a graphics card, but a motherboard, definitely.

Also yes Linux is better, I would switch right now and forever, but so many tools that I use everyday are Windows only.
My small print statement was more directed at not giving microsoft the money they don't deserve than not using windows at all. I still use it once in a while myself.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Streetwalrus on September 27, 2015, 11:34:55 AM
My small print statement was more directed at not giving microsoft the money they don't deserve than not using windows at all. I still use it once in a while myself.
Yes, they do not deserve it, and I am not a Windows fan at all.
Problem is, that they have such a huge ecosystem of programs already and only a few are Linux compatible aswell.
And Play on Linux or Wine are just not working well for many tools and programs.

One of the reasons I like writing my Programs in Java or C# is that they do run on Linux aswell, allowing others to use my stuff without having to have access to a Windows machine.
And as soon as Mono is installed, all my programs run natively on Linux and integrate just well. I don't think installing mono is a huge deal.

novenary

It depends on what you're doing really. I rarely need to use windows only programs, even games are getting linux support now. But that's just my own use case.
I agree that wine has horrible compatibility, but it's great for things that do actually work. Otherwise a VM also works. I use wine and dual boot right now, but I'm considering removing my windows partition and running a vm instead. Depends whether I'm really interested in windows only games or not.

As for java/c# etc, it's true that it just works with most programs but writing cross platform native code is easy too. To each his own I guess.

Dream of Omnimaga

HP Prime softwares are now Windows-only, for the most part. Even XP is no longer compatible with them.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 27, 2015, 03:49:58 PM
HP Prime softwares are now Windows-only, for the most part. Even XP is no longer compatible with them.
Well XP is dead anyway. A person who still uses XP really has to be a moroon :P
Windows 7 is way better than XP so who is still using XP should really upgrade.

Dream of Omnimaga

It depends. Some people are still stuck with XP for whatever reasons or simply can't afford a copy of 7 or 10 (I think 10 is only free for WIndows 7 users or above). I myself will never use XP again, though.

SiphonicSugar

What's so bad about Windows XP?
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

semiprocoder

No new updates. It's not supported anymore, so security issues are worse and stuff. Also don't like all bank atms have xp or did they upgrade by now, because I remember reading how the lack of support from windows for xp made atms less secure cause apparently they use xp, which I did not know.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.