Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Most annoying (and trustworthy) ads

Started by p2, December 06, 2016, 12:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p2

This is an ad I got today on AOL mail. I'm sure it's legit. (saying I'm the 1.000.000th visitor...)
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Sorunome

• Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Dream of Omnimaga

Nothing beats fake download buttons. When you go on a website and there are 5 download buttons, it's very hard to figure out which one is the right one. Sometimes, fake ones provides the same file, but bundled with malware and other junk.

The above ad was annoying back then too. Other annoying ads are the following:
-Pop-ups that appears when clicking anywhere on the page, which circumvents ad blockers and pop-up blockers.
-Ads with hover sounds. On Myspace there was a smiley ad once with extremely loud sounds that rivaled scary pop-ups in jumpscare potential.
-Alert box-based ads, especially the ones that appear when closing down the tab.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Eh, kinda why we never wanted Google AdSense here. We had a no ad stance until we discovered Project Wonderful was vastly superior.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Google Adsense is decent, but it has its issues with questionable ads sometimes. Sound ones are generally rare, but I bet most people would have disabled them with adblock, so no revenue at all.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah. Convincing people to turn AdBlock off would be more important, and you know like me the obnoxious warnings about it are even worse than the ads themselves on certain sites. Even then, the number of ad views is a pretty useful metric in Project Wonderful as it's shown on our page on there and their search engine.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, Juju once linked me to some Quebec-based video website with a guy doing weird stuff with his car. Not only the site blocked Adblock users completely, but once I unblocked it, it greeted me with 4 ads in a row. If you are gonna be cish enough to block Adblock users, at least have the decency of not making the user's experience miserable when they enable your ads. Usually I don't browse websites that blocks Adblock users, but such stunt is gonna make me want to visit the site even less.

p2

jup, for the German BILD newspaper (more tits than news, seriously, dont read that c!!) is completely blocking adblock users as well, even deactivating it doesnt help in most cases <_<
I pretty much refuse to use any site like that  :P
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Yuki

If you check the options of your AdBlock/uBlock or something, you might see anti-adblock killers, you might want to enable that, it does the job for most sites, including the one DJ mentioned 2 posts ago.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Hm I should check if my Adblock has this. I use Adblock, not Adblock Plus, so it has fewer features.