Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Seeking for nuclear Pokémons? Go catch 'em all before it's too late!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 11, 2016, 05:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

After 9 years of developement, Pokémon Uranium is now released!

It's a fan game based on Pokémon franchise, featuring 150 new creatures, but with a twist: all of them are of nuclear type! During your usual gotta-catch-em-all quest, you will also have to save everyone from numerous nuclear meltdowns around. And no, sorry, despite being irradiated, our walruses aren't in the game. :P

Because of what recently happened to AM2R, we recommend that you take a small break from Pokémon Go,  hurry up and download this game before it's taken down:

http://www.pokemonuranium.com/download/

Source:  https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/763567631009918976
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

I have a friend who will be interested in this..
Also it looks like the download link is already down :(
edit: nevermind it seems to be back again
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

I bet the site is hosted on a shared hosting or small VPS. Their forums had 2000 guests earlier so I assume the front page has even more. It probably made Reddit front page or something.

Because of what happened to AM2R a few days ago Pokémon Uranium is probably also getting more attention than usual from people wondering how long it will take before it gets on the wrong end of a C&D letter than people who are actually interested in playing the game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

GalacticPirate

I hope Nintendo will not fall on them like they did with the SM64HD Bob-omb Battlefield remake on Unity O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS (4.4.0), TI-83 Premium CE (5.2.1), TI-83 Plus.fr USB (2.55MP), Casio fx-92 Collège 2D+, Casio fx-92 Collège 2D
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Nintendo Wii U (NSMBU+NSLU premium pack, 5.5.1E), New Nintendo 3DS XL (Monster Hunter Generations, Sys 11.5.0-38E)

Dream of Omnimaga

They just took down the Metriuod 2 remake, so...

They're probably gonna sue themselves by accident one day.

gameblabla

Downloading it was a challenge because they have some issues with their servers.
I was finally able to download it though.

The game has a silly premise but most pokémons games do anyway.
But the awful framerate absolutely kills any kind of enjoyment you might have for this game.
I would especially not recommend you to run this game unless you own a i7.
The framerate occasionally dips around the 5~8 fps on my FX 6350.
I even disabled the virtual cores to get some speed ups.
It helped a bit but not much.
It also seem to suffer from the batman syndrome as it seems to run slightly faster on a SSD than a mecanical hard drive.

The battles are somewhat disappointing : the Pokémons are static, the special effects are not terrible, and that damn f***ing framerate
is even more terrible during battles and it is taking 100% of my FX 6350 ! f*** !

There's apparently a patch for the framerate issue but the servers are down so the game tells me i have the latest update,
even though this is not the case...

On the plus side, it fully implements the Nuzlocke rules, it supports the mouse, the design for the new pokémon is pretty good.

I would suggest you download the game but wait a bit for updates to come out before playing it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the remixed tracks are pretty good ! At least there's that.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, I think their server is either 1and1 (what Omnimaga used when it made Slashdot front page during the Casio fx-CG20 unveiling) or some cheap VPS. I bet CodeWalrus would suffer the same fate if it made Reddit front page, but again maybe that Pokémon site has an even cheaper server. On 1and1 when we had 1800 guests online I had a 500 error every few second. Besides, the extra popularity is welcome :P

As for the game premise, there cannot be anything sillier than the original version of Opossum Massage Simulator :P. I am surprised that it has frame rate issues, considering it's a 2D game. Heck, even RPG Maker games, despite RM not being very efficient for professional game making, runs at 60 FPS on lower-end machines (I got 60 from every RMVX game on my Intel Celeron back in the days).

Maybe they're running the game at your current resolution? I know my PC has issues playing uncompressed 1080p vids at higher than 5 FPS.

I'll probably give it a try soon but I doubt I will play much, since I'm not enough into Pokémon. The only reason why I downloaded it is in case Nintendo takes it down, so if, one day, I somehow decide to play it then it's not too late.

aetios

Quote from: gameblabla on August 12, 2016, 05:14:54 AM
But the awful framerate absolutely kills any kind of enjoyment you might have for this game.
I would especially not recommend you to run this game unless you own a i7.
The framerate occasionally dips around the 5~8 fps on my FX 6350.
I even disabled the virtual cores to get some speed ups.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the remixed tracks are pretty good ! At least there's that.

That's odd, I have no problems with the game at all on my HD530.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

gameblabla

Quote from: aeTIos on August 13, 2016, 08:55:54 AM
That's odd, I have no problems with the game at all on my HD530.
The game was made using RPG Maker XP, with some additional heavy scripts.
RPG Maker XP is very unefficient and :

• It does not use the graphic card at all. (software-rendered)
  • It is mono-threaded only (bad performance on low-end FX procs)

As for the game, it is running at the native resolution of 256x192, like DS games actually.
By default, it upscales it to 2x and can be upscaled up to 3x.
Even in its native resolution, it is slow as f***ing s***.
The game does not make use of your native resolution, it completely ignores it, like most RPG Maker XP games.

I somehow got Pokemon Uranium patches (the filename is PU_patch101.rar, google it) and it does not fixes the slowdowns at all !
Also, if you want to run it on Linux, Wine 1.6 works with this one but not the latest staging version.

I think the reason why it was not taken down now is because Nintendo do not actually own the copyright to Pokemon,
The Pokémon Company does and they did mobile Pokémon games since 2009. (that's how we got Pokémon Shuffle on Android)
While not as agressive as Nintendo, The Pokémon Company still isn't known for being kind to fan-games...

Dream of Omnimaga

Strange, I have a low end GPU and all RMVX games run perfetlyc. Maybe it's a RMXP-specific issue or intensive ruby script used in the game?

bb010g

• Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

gameblabla

Quote from: bb010g on August 13, 2016, 08:22:03 PM
Does anyone know how well this works on Wine?
Like i said, it works with Wine 1.6 after installing dx_36, directmusic and directplay.
It does not work with Wine staging.
Be warned, it might crawl on your PC.

Dream of Omnimaga

Are you sure this used RMXP rather than RMVX btw? I will try it and see and compare with other XP games if it uses XP.

garvalf

they've already removed the download because they feared about nintendo's lawyers.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...