Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

What programming language is your favorite?

Started by alexgt, March 27, 2015, 01:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What language do you use? (This is your favorite language and does not have to be calc related)

Ti-Basic (Any Ti calc's basic language)
3 (8.8%)
Asm
3 (8.8%)
Axe
1 (2.9%)
Grammer
0 (0%)
Java
3 (8.8%)
Ruby
2 (5.9%)
Lua
2 (5.9%)
C/ C++
9 (26.5%)
C#
2 (5.9%)
Other
3 (8.8%)
None :(
0 (0%)
JavaScript
0 (0%)
PHP
0 (0%)
Python
3 (8.8%)
Bash
0 (0%)
HP PPL
2 (5.9%)
Haskell
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Snektron

Quote from: Juju on March 29, 2015, 05:39:14 AM
And I never heard of Jai, but it looks pretty interesting.

Looks like what's used in Coach 6, a modelling program we sometimes use in Physics class. Though that maybe just the
same Syntax, because i don't think there is any flow contol in that
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

My favorite program languages are Java, C#, C, VB.Net, PHP and Lua.
And CSS, which is essentially not a programming language, but a descriptive language.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Snektron

alexgt

Quote from: Juju on March 27, 2015, 02:45:06 AM
I found a few inaccuracies in your poll:

- JavaScript is wildly different from Java. It should more be next to HTML, since they're both used together (although it's less and less the case with Node.js and Duktape on Nspire).
- JQuery is not a language by itself but more a library for Javascript. They should probably be together.
- C# looks more like Java than C and C++, despite the name. They should probably not be together.
- While we're on the web, why not add PHP, Python, maybe even Bash?

Well, that's my two cents. Anyway, to answer your question, I find both Lua and Ruby pretty fun to program in, while I'm trying to make a living with HTML, JavaScript and PHP, which are also pretty nice. I know quite a lot of the languages we mentioned in this thread. But the best language of all time is Fluffle Puff.
Will change thanks!

EDIT: you may want to change your vote because I updated the list thanks :)

And Curmed just lol
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Snektron

Also seems we can finally view the results

alexgt

Yup, I thought April 1st was too long to wait so I showed them.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

One more for C. But who put C and C++ in the same option ? They aren't the same langague or bear the same philosophy anymore!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Though they're often referred to as "C/C++"

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Tbis worked more or less at the beggining but C++ took direcitons that C won't, like auto types.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I thought they were still somewhat similar to a certain extent. That said, I wonder what's the amout of options allowed in forum polls? I should check if there's a limit because there are so many popular languages here that listing more would result into a massive poll.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

SiphonicSugar

You know, this is actually pretty hard for me. I can not choose between Axe and TI-Basic. TI-Basic brings back good memories.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya SiphonicSugar, welcome to the forums. Glad to see you are into programming. :)

I personally used Axe for a while in 2010, but then I switched back to hybrid TI-BASIC like I used way before Axe came out. I almost completely switched to color calcs, though, and I often do stuff in HP PPL on the HP Prime. I hope that KermMartian gets the signing key to make a Doors CSE for the new TI-84 Plus CE because the speed would be amazing compared to the CSE.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

I am now into hybrid basic (like dj) but I may be sliding over to ruby...
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

unknownloner

As much crap as I like to give Java, I can get stuff done pretty quickly in it while also having it run quickly too. It's not bad as languages go :P

/)

Snektron

How do you guys format your code btw?

void test(){

}

or

void test()
{

}

I myself do the latter :P

also you can combine the two too O.O

void test(){
{

}
}