Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your dream calculator (maybe real sooner than you thought)

Started by DarkestEx, October 02, 2016, 10:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Important update!

The CPU decision is made!
It will be an Atmel ATSAM4S4A. This is the CPU of the original microcat prototype:

The main reason is that I have a lot of these chips still laying around and I have all the test and programming equipment for them. They are also really fast and quite nice little things.
Also, I have already written software for them including a little bootloader and gained experience with them.

The new and final specs are:
128 MHz ARMv7ME CPU. 64 KB RAM. 256 KB Flash memory. 32 GB SD program memory (note that programs are NOT copied to RAM!).
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

p2

Looks great  :thumbsup:

But I know I might sound stupid now... but if your cpu runs at 128MHz (compared to the z80 which is at <20MHz) how comes it takes so long to display a text? ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p2 on October 05, 2016, 08:29:19 AM
Looks great  :thumbsup:

But I know I might sound stupid now... but if your cpu runs at 128MHz (compared to the z80 which is at <20MHz) how comes it takes so long to display a text? ^^
The emulator is not a z80 one but a 6502. The slowness is due to refreshing the screen completely for every character. I have not found time to optimize it yet.
The screen uses 16 bit colors and is 128x128 so it takes time. Also the cpu I running at 8 MHz for testing.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

xMarminq_

What battery will it have? Will it be a lithium ion battery or a double A battery? (-_(//));
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

p2

my actual dream calculator would be one running OS-2.43 of the 83+/84+ family but with a GB of ram and archive and variable clock speed ^^

Edit: @DarkestEx you maybe shouldnt post videos showing your IP adress on youtube ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p2 on October 07, 2016, 07:51:28 AM
Edit: @DarkestEx you maybe shouldnt post videos showing your IP adress on youtube ^^
What do you mean? And where?

p2

on the bottom of your posts (right size) you can always see your IP adress....
and in the video take a look below the console window you type that DISP HELLO.... ;)

DarkestEx

Quote from: p2 on October 07, 2016, 09:29:25 AM
on the bottom of your posts (right size) you can always see your IP adress....
and in the video take a look below the console window you type that DISP HELLO.... ;)
Ah yea. That shouldn't matter a lot. This video is quite old anyways.

Dream of Omnimaga

His IP address probably changed by now or will do so in a few months. In my case, it changes every 4 month maximum and usually changes beforehand. For some people it changes almost daily.

ANyway, I am late as you can see but I am glad this progressed earlier this month and I'm glad to see it in action above :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Nice work @DarkestEx , I like what I see ;).

I have started a Rasp Pi project similar to this, I am hoping to make it at about the same form factor as a ti 84+. It will feature a 480x320 Resistive touch display (I could not find any at that resolution with capacitive touch), a super slimmed down Rasp Pi 3 (completely removing the ethernet port, because of the built-in WiFi and replacing the double USB with single high ones), A full qwerty custom keyboard (with the display beeing directly hooked up to the GPIO pins and not leaving many left I decided to use an Arduino pro mini to multiplex the keyboard to save on GPIO, plans could still change though), and a 3.7v 2000mAh Lipo battery.

My goal with this s to have the portability of a calculator and the power of Pi smashed into one. Also, I could hook it up to any TV in my house and stream games to it from my host PC (don't know how well that would work with the lack of an ethernet port though). This will be a long-term project since I literally have none of the parts or the money to order them :P. And instead of rushing it and not having it just right I want to take m time ad plan everything, I plan on using it sooo... :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

@alexgt when you have the money and when it starts coming together, you should make a new topic about it. :P

(also I'M late lol)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: alexgt on November 16, 2016, 03:58:58 AM

I have started a Rasp Pi project similar to this, I am hoping to make it at about the same form factor as a ti 84+. It will feature a 480x320 Resistive touch display (I could not find any at that resolution with capacitive touch), a super slimmed down Rasp Pi 3 (completely removing the ethernet port, because of the built-in WiFi and replacing the double USB with single high ones), A full qwerty custom keyboard (with the display beeing directly hooked up to the GPIO pins and not leaving many left I decided to use an Arduino pro mini to multiplex the keyboard to save on GPIO, plans could still change though), and a 3.7v 2000mAh Lipo battery.

My goal with this s to have the portability of a calculator and the power of Pi smashed into one. Also, I could hook it up to any TV in my house and stream games to it from my host PC (don't know how well that would work with the lack of an ethernet port though). This will be a long-term project since I literally have none of the parts or the money to order them :P. And instead of rushing it and not having it just right I want to take m time ad plan everything, I plan on using it sooo... :P
Tried a while back. It's a never ending rabbit hole. TLDR: The battery will not fit. We are working on a modified Casio Classpad 300 which fits a Pi3 + TFT shield + battery perfectly fine.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aren't Classpad calcs prohibitively expensive, though? When I tried to build my calculator collection in 2009, the cheapest available ClassPad 300 and 300+ on Ebay were $310 in used condition without the instructions/cable/box... (three times what I paid my Clickpad Nspire with the 84+ keypad)

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 05, 2017, 08:01:02 PM
Aren't Classpad calcs prohibitively expensive, though? When I tried to build my calculator collection in 2009, the cheapest available ClassPad 300 and 300+ on Ebay were $310 in used condition without the instructions/cable/box... (three times what I paid my Clickpad Nspire with the 84+ keypad)
Bought a class pad in mint condition. Was fully working. Got it for 30€. However, the internals were all ripped out (except for the keypad PCB which is reused) to make space for the RPi and new Screen.

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 07, 2016, 05:25:29 AM
@alexgt when you have the money and when it starts coming together, you should make a new topic about it. :P

(also I'M late lol)
I haven't worked on this in a while money, time (FRC Robotics), and school have stopped me...

Quote from: DarkestEx on February 03, 2017, 09:14:36 PM
Quote from: alexgt on November 16, 2016, 03:58:58 AM

Tried a while back. It's a never ending rabbit hole. TLDR: The battery will not fit. We are working on a modified Casio Classpad 300 which fits a Pi3 + TFT shield + battery perfectly fine.
I planning to 3d print the case so that would solve fitting issues.

Wow, been a while since I posted *.*
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX