Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Japanese people take their calculators very seriously

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 29, 2015, 06:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travis

Ouch, that's the worst. Can't believe they still don't ask confirmation or anything before deleting something like the 89 (or gave it a different key that's not as easy to hit by accident).
Yeah, the order on the 89 took some getting used to, I think, but I got used to that just like I got used to the wacky order of keys on the QWERTY (and later Dvorak) keyboard layouts. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Snektron

Isn't qwerty standard in most country's? i know i use it and  to be honest i've never seen
another keyboard layout in the netherlands :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Nope, here we use good old azerty. Sometimes I wonder for which kind of layout vim is done for...
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Calcs use ABCDEF, else they would be banned in most US exams.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

Probably because it would be considered a full computer or something.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

In France, calculators with feull keyboards are forbidden. Why? I don't know as the Ti and Casio still have enough keys/variables to type the whole 26 characters. It's probably to block using them as cheating devices (it'd easier to type on a Voyager 200/Ti-92 than a Casio but that's a stupid reason as I am quite fast to type on my G35+)
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Snektron

That's indeed a stupid reason. I don't even know about qwerty calculators here in The Netherlands

aetios

qwerty calculators are forbidden in NL as well for the same reason. Laws are weird.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

I will need to check again about why they are banned. It seems weird that they would sell calculators that are almost banned in tests worldwide and every test to begin with. IIRC it's really the fact it's seen as a PDA and small computer that makes the QWERTY keypad a problem, though.