Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[calcs] Having win7 and win10 on the same PC ???

Started by alexgt, July 20, 2015, 12:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Well, y eah, I wouldnt expect to brick a comp. O.O
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

The popup checks if your hardware is compliant or not so it would be quite ironic xD
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Unicorn

lol,yeah. :P Anyways, hopefully everything works out :)
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

I was actually thinking of switching to linux. I've used linux VPS'ses before. I want to dual boot first so i still do things that absolutely require windows (like some games). I am also familiar with ubuntu. What disto should i get or should i just use wubi? :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on July 24, 2015, 11:40:42 AM
I was actually thinking of switching to linux. I've used linux VPS'ses before. I want to dual boot first so i still do things that absolutely require windows (like some games). I am also familiar with ubuntu. What disto should i get or should i just use wubi? :P

Thats my thinking to. Linux for dev, but Windows for games. :)

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

novenary

Avoid wubi at all costs. It's a very ugly hack.
That said, these days I'd recommend manjaro. If you want to get more in depth, arch Linux is awesome but requires more work to set up initially.

In the Debian world I recommend xubuntu or mint, or debian testing, if you want a funky distro check out fedora, or you could even go for a BSD flavor. The choice is broad so read up about all of these to choose whichever suits you. :)

Lionel Debroux

+1 for Mint or Debian testing.

Fedora is firmly in the "bleeding edge technology, but less stable" camp, though they've now decided to do a better job at stability.
It's been a long time since they fed the Pulseaudio and KDE 4 trainwrecks of the time well before they were ready for prime time. The hardship of Fedora users helped make these technologies better for other distros, but still.
Upgrades from one distro version to the next one (6-8 months later, with short-lived support for upgrades) aren't always very smooth on Fedora either. Not a sample of scientific size, but I installed Fedora in a VM, in order to build libti*/gfm/tilp in it, which required installing build dependencies, of course. The VM repeatably crashed updating to the next Fedora version, I left it bitrot there.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Unicorn

So for a beggining linux user, start with mint?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

And Ubuntu? I heard it's generally some "easier" distro since it has things like the Ubuntu market thingy.
Not that i need it easier, but i've used it before

Lionel Debroux

Like many other persons, I stopped recommending Ubuntu in 2011, as Ubuntu's specific Unity interface is... not universally appreciated, to say the least.
The fact that Ubuntu is going its own way with Mir, instead of contributing to the common Wayland goal shared by the rest of the ecosystem, isn't universally appreciated either.

Any given user may like Unity better than other options, it's a matter of personal preference.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

Snektron

Ah okay. I Installed Ubuntu with Mate on an USB a few weeks ago. It worked, but i ced something up and then i had to leave for vacation.

Unicorn

Well, I'm back on my computer, so I should set up a linux boot :) I'm going to start with Mint

??? ??? ??? ??? ???