Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Portal CSE

Started by MateoConLechuga, January 05, 2015, 06:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MateoConLechuga

So I am working on a Portal game for the TI84+CSE edition, and I thought that I would cross post from Cemetech to provide some eye candy. Well, here you go! :)

Quote from: MateoConLechugaPortal, now under development for the TI84+CSE series calculator! :) All project updates will be posted here.

Current Level Progress: 3/40 Complete
Level Editor Progress: 11%

Okay, here are some differences that I currently have:
::Energy balls can toggle switches -- Should make more puzzles available
::Doors can be controlled by multiple buttons -- See above ^^

Controls:
[LEFT/RIGHT] - Select Level
[MODE] - Quits in-game
[ALPHA] - Speeds up text
[CLEAR] - Quits in a text display or main menu

[Download Link]

Current Screenshots:

Older, but still the same thing and relevant, screenshot:

Finished: (Or, more accurately, "Hey it works right!")
::PHYSICS!!! (With friction too. :) )
::Movement within Portals
::Portal Shooting
::Portal Bumping
::Portal On Portal Bumping
::Portal Clipping
::Portal Movement
::Level Loader
::Collision Detection
::Button Collision
::Doors
::Energy Balls
::Energy Ball Switches
::Glass Walls
::Portal Eraser Fields
::Spikes
::Splash Screen
::Lifting Crates
::Crate Bumping
::Transitions
::Crate Physics
::Custom Color Background
::Main Level Pack is an AppVar
::Fail Animation
::Level Decompression
::Throwing Crates
::Transitions
::Text/Story between levels
::Better Splash Screen
::New Custom Text

Currently In Progress:
::Custom Maps/Level Editor
::Level Editor Compressor
::Main Level Pack
::Random Bug Fixes :P
::Testing - Oh boy, that will be fun... :P

TODO:
Wow, the TODO list is empty because everything is being worked on... Yay! :)

Snektron

:o looks amazing!!
Too bad i dont have a CSE :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

aetios

I don't think you really have to put a cross-post in a quote ;) But boy, that looks so awesome o.o Makes me want an 84CSE just to play this. One thing that I see that can be fixed/better is the walking animation: IMO it could be slower.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Keoni29

I tried it on my calc. Runs amazingly smooth :D

I noticed that when you get stuck in a door the game ends and exits to the home screen
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: Keoni29 on January 05, 2015, 09:39:09 PM
I tried it on my calc. Runs amazingly smooth :D

I noticed that when you get stuck in a door the game ends and exits to the home screen
Yes, there is nothing after Level 2 as I am still developing it; working on a level editor right now to make it a little easier. Custom levels will soon be supported. :)

Quote from: aeTIos on January 05, 2015, 08:25:09 PM
I don't think you really have to put a cross-post in a quote ;) But boy, that looks so awesome o.o Makes me want an 84CSE just to play this. One thing that I see that can be fixed/better is the walking animation: IMO it could be slower.
Yes, I've noticed this too, it is a little something on my todo list once I get around to ironing out all the little kinks. :)

Thanks guys! :)

Keoni29

Is a level just a tilemap? I am writing a level editor for the PC which might be useful to you. It exports in 8xv.
Can be found here: http://github.com/keoni29/cedit

I tested it on linux, but it should build on windows as well.

MateoConLechuga

Quote from: Keoni29 on January 05, 2015, 10:11:30 PM
Is a level just a tilemap? I am writing a level editor for the PC which might be useful to you. It exports in 8xv.
Can be found here: http://github.com/keoni29/cedit

I tested it on linux, but it should build on windows as well.
Yes, it is indeed a tile map,. :D but things like doors, buttons, and energy balls are stored differently, and then compressed to save space. I will definitely be checking that out though; that looks very useful!

Keoni29

At the moment the parameters for the world editor are hardcoded and it would require re-compiling to change the parameters, but I will soon push the new commandline options interpreter.
To use your own tiles simply replace the tileset.bmp image and specify a grid size.

MateoConLechuga

That is really neat! I'll try and see if I can get it to work on Windows.

Keoni29

You need SDL.h, SDL_image.h and SDL_ttf.h for this. Don't forget to link -lSDL -lSDL_image and -lSDL_ttf too :)

Dream of Omnimaga

I play this every once in a while, although I have yet to beat the main level <_<

As said on Cemetech, good job, though, and I hope this gets finished. This is definitively gonna be big in the community when this comes out, especially after seeing how popular Portal Prelude was outside the community (especially Reddit). :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

MateoConLechuga

So, been busy lately, just not here.  <_<. But anyhow, the on-calc level editor is nearing completion, and I should have a stable release out by Monday or Tuesday depending on how many testing bugs I get. :) Also, unlike the old editor, now you can add text before your custom levels, up to 290 characters. Pretty nifty. Here's some goodies of the current state of the level editor, followed by it in action. Also, the level text editor. :)

EDIT: Also, I changed the home menu and text, and added a couple sprites to make it look nicer. Of course, the background is customizable to four colors.
EDIT2: Now I just have to make levels... Oh, what fun. :)

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Woah, that title screen looks even better now :D, especially with the icons. And the level editor will definitively add replay value to this game (providing it's easy to use :P) :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

This looks pretty darn sweet. Mark my words this is gonna be POTY CSE '15. Unless something more awesome comes out and that's gonna be something like a full speed GBA emu for CSE.
ceci n'est pas une signature