Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Music on TI-84+ CE?

Started by Dudeman313, February 01, 2016, 03:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudeman313

I'm not sure if this should be in Music Talk, but is there, as of now, any way to play music from the TI-84+ CE?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Araidia

Wait, the TI84+CE has a speaker?
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

There won't be any I think. This calculator doesn't have an I/O link port anymore and USB music was never attempted  on older models (if possible at all)

Music on the 83+/84+/SE/CSE used the 2.5 mm jack.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

utz

As I've speculated before, it would probably be possible to make music on the non-link port models by driving the USB in direct mode. However, as DJ_O said, this hasn't been attempted yet. Well, send me a TI with USB and I'll try it out :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dream of Omnimaga

The main issue is that the USB protocol needs to be documented first. I don't even know if the 84+ one was 100% documented because I recall people asking TI for doc before, to no avail. On the TI-Nspire it hasn't even been attempted either, despite the calc coming out years ago. The audio player requires connecting a wire or two somewhere in the dock port.

Also there is the problem about how to hear the sound. USB headphones are next to impossible to find in brick and mortar stores, so you might have to use USB speakers  or online shopping instead.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

utz

I don't think you'd need to know the full USB protocol, knowing how to enable direct mode would be enough. And luckily, that's documented for the 84+.
To hear the sound, one would need to construct a custom usb-to-audio cable, which should be quite easy, easier than building a parallel link cable in any case.
The main problem that I anticipate is power consumption. It's actually fairly easy to knock out a 84+ in software by drawing too much power, and the USB usually draws quite a bit.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah, I was sure we couldn't use sound that way due to lack of doc. I guess I was wrong. But I thought we could just buy usb headphones or speakers somewhere without needing to make our own cable?

One issue with calc music though is that since the calculator doesn't have a mainstream audio in (by mainstream I mean 3.5mm jack in which regular headphones will fit), then few people are willing to buy extra hardware or cables just to hear music from their calculator, so it's more to show off. This is why so few games have music. (I don't even think TI-Boy CSE has sound)

Dudeman313

There's a TI-Boy CSE?  :blah:
The answer is "Sure."

utz

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 03, 2016, 01:06:34 AM
But I thought we could just buy usb headphones or speakers somewhere without needing to make our own cable?

In that case we'd need to output actual digital music data on the USB, and yeah, for that we'd need to know the full protocol. My idea is to simply use the USB as a cheap DAC, bit-banging sound through it like we do on analogue link ports. In any case you're right, probably not many people would bother to make a custom cable, so the target audience is basically non-existant.

Adriweb

With the recent Get/Send() USB stuff in TI-Basic, one could just send about anything to a cheap board having a speaker.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

utz

Ah yes, didn't even consider that possibility when I read about the new get/send(). A music player in BASIC, now that'd be something!

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 03, 2016, 01:46:07 PM
There's a TI-Boy CSE?  :blah:
Yes, at https://www.omnimaga.org/ti-boy-se-game-boy-emulator-for-ti-83se84/official-ti-boy-cse-alpha-thread/ (it's not finished, but it can play some games fine)

Quote from: Adriweb on February 03, 2016, 07:13:20 PM
With the recent Get/Send() USB stuff in TI-Basic, one could just send about anything to a cheap board having a speaker.
It depends if cheap sound boards are readily available at most places and don't require extra adapters, else, as utz says, the userbase would be nearly non-existent. THe main issue with TI calculators is that the main audience is under 18 years old, so you pretty much have to rule out online shopping or anything that requires giving your home address to "strangers" without your parents' permission.