Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

E37's projects

Started by E37, December 05, 2016, 08:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorunome

Quote from: E37 on February 20, 2017, 04:46:52 PM
Well... I may have to abandon the project just due to size limitations. It is already above 26000b and a large amount of features are unimplemented.
I will need to expand my skill before going forward.
How are you currently doing memory mapping and thelike? I'm curious because we discussed this quite a lot on IRC ^.^

EDIT: nevermind, i just read the post.

Why couldn't you use the pageswap axiom? That allows you to swap in different things in MemA, just what you said would fix all your issues "if i made it an asm multi-page app it would fix all the issues".
Using some custom script stuff you might be able to combind them into a single large app, even though it is axe, not too sure on that, though, you'd have to change some addresses in your branch tables (should be doable) and change the header and then re-sign. Developing might be very hard, though.
  • Calculators owned: Too many (why are you even reading this?)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Gamebuino!
This is a signature.
And now......give me an internet!

To be or not to be.........is that even a question? Who gets to decide this anyways?

Dream of Omnimaga

I think he mentioned something about safeRAM conflicts, such as his game using the same RAM areas as Fullrene. I don't know if Runprgm or Pageswap would have similar problems.
Quote from: E37 on February 20, 2017, 05:55:22 PM
I could finish the project today if I needed to. It wouldn't have any real challenges though. Most of the units are finished, but there aren't any enemies. (you do run out of air though)
I may end content there and work on debugging, adding the last levels and rewriting the whole thing in assembler as a multi-page app.

What do you think?
I guess if all else fails you could turn the game into a puzzle strategy like this.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

E37

So... after an intense programming and debugging session, I am ready to try a beta release.  :w00t:
As the game currently stands, there are no challenges besides running out of air (which is pretty difficult in the later levels)
If anyone is interested in testing the game pm me and I will send you the game and instructions on how to play it.
Thanks for all the support!
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Ti83,Ti84!
I've never finished a project, there is always a way to improve!
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!
Look! A slime!    <(^.^)>

p2

that is very, VERY impressive!! I really LOVE how u can select units with the cursor, those controls look most intuitive and advanced, much better thsn most other games, I am really impressed  :thumbsup:
Awesome job you did there!!  :love:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

Very impressive so far. I would definitively like to give it a try if there are instructions. ALso I like the unit movement and selection. It almost feels like a real strategy game.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

E37

Here is the beta. All the instructions are in the readme.
I THINK that the app is correctly signed.
What's my calc's name? Convert $37 to decimal. Look up that element in the periodic table. Then take the abbreviation of that element and you have it!

Dream of Omnimaga

What's a readme?

Jk I'll give this a try soon (maybe Tuesday?)

E37

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 26, 2017, 02:30:16 PM
What's a readme?
O.O

I found one other bug: opening the menu (with the graph key) and then closing it without doing anything leaves an empty rectangle on the screen. Scrolling offscreen removes it. I fixed it but haven't updated the download.

Dream of Omnimaga

My readme comment was because so few people actually read them :trollface:

I didn't have time to download the game and try it yet but I really can't wait to do it soon. I was side-tracked with various life things, the music CDs project and more recently Zelda: Breath of the Wild <_<

:walrii:

E37

I am continuing to debug and am finishing up creating the last couple levels!
Mostly movement bugs are all that is left.

Dream of Omnimaga

Glad it's coming along nicely. Make sure the level order is somewhat balanced so that we play most veryhard levels first, the bats*** insane hard ones second and the sadistic ones last. :P

p2

indeed, but a difficulty setting would be awesome, too ;D
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Dream of Omnimaga

I was kidding about how some games got difficulty settings that only includes hard modes or where even the easy mode is hard :P. But also calc games tend to be hard

Edit by p2: removed the SENT FROM MOBILE thingy

EDIT 2: :walrii:

E37

I'm back to work after taking a short break. The levels are a race against time until you can get a support station. After that, it is much more resource management.  The later drillers are quite powerful and you need to create the infrastructure to support them or your calc slows WAY down. You probably won't be losing a lot of levels. (the first couple are impossible to lose) It is more focused on planning and building. I have created all but the last level by now. I would like to add a random map generator, but that seems unlikely to happen due to space problems.
I am patching up the last couple bugs with the end levels. Levels 1-11 are completely stable (I have completed them 6+ times each without any bugs)
The big problem is that past level 11 some maps are bigger than 32x32 tiles (256 pixels) so I have to patch some really weird visual bugs.
Another beta release within the week!

E37

Quote from: E37 on March 14, 2017, 04:46:35 PM
Another beta release within the week!
I sure am punctual...

This could very well be my last update. Two weeks ago I found a but that caused slight memory corruption when revealing a large cavern which is not noticeable until the game quits. It only happens past Frozen Frenzy.
I still have not found a fix. I will post again IF I can fix it.
Other than that, I introduced a bunch of small tweaks and a new unit. Other than that one bug, I believe I have finished debugging.
I have to stop because I have hit the limit of the calculator - it is simply not fast enough.
Playing the game up until Frozen Frenzy Is the best approach. Later levels can suffer form lag because of their large size. However if you don't mind a bit of lag and the possibility of a ram clear, those levels are the coolest. (The last level especially, you can spend hours exploring and still have areas to uncover)
If I get some interest I can make a unit and strategy guide.

Until next time,
E37