Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New member introductions: Say hello here!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 20, 2014, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, to clarify, I wouldn't say it's the direct successor of Omnimaga, but rather the direct successor of Omnimaga as it used to be until July 2011 (or arguably, November 2013)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Lephe

Well, I would have liked to show up and say "nope, I'm actually Dark Storm", but you guessed correctly DJ Omnimaga - the principle of least surprise, I guess. I'll make sure to tell you if I ever manage to write a decent piece of music (which I doubt, but who knows, I'd even say I'm on something good right now).

So it was you mazhat who sent all those folks to my house? Well, thanks a lot. I'm still stuck with them and I'm not sure they'll let go of me before a few more hours. Especially the Canadians, they obstinately refuse to leave unless I give up on this mission. They seem pretty influential around here :P

I really don't know much about communities that originated in other countries than France. Could you explain a bit what you mean, DJ Omnimaga? I would really like to know what happened.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually Dark Storm already has an account here :P. As for what happened on Omni, the first post of the following topic should explain more in details, although it doesn't mention everything since the post is incredibly long to begin with https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=676.0
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Lephe

Thanks for this! I read the whole post and I pretty much realize how hard it can be when communities like this are passed on to new maintainers. As for what CodeWalrus stands for, I would think that being transparent is a good habit. Maybe we actually need to be clearer about what happens on Planète Casio sometimes. :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Well to be fair, my biggest worry about PC was the risks that the v5.0 upgrade would break all old URLs and force other community websites to update their old news, articles, tutorials and download links to point to the new locations. Both Omnimaga and United-TI did this and half of the community got pissed at them.

And sometimes it doesn't take a new owner to change everything on a community. Just look at Capcom and Konami <.<. What was bad about the Omni changes is that as the founder, I not only spent over half a decade trying to make the Omni forums what it is while trying to persuade the rest of the staff to keep it as it is no matter if I remain admin or not, but also I was forced to step down due to health issues and certain community users outside Omni and afterwards it quickly became clear that I would not ever be allowed to return in the team again.

mazhat

Man, that article about the omnimaga website is really sad.
I wasn't there personally, so I can't form an opinion,
but regardless, I hope they know what they are doing :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

Pieman7373

I don't remember if I posted on here already.  ???
  • Calculators owned: TI-80, TI-81, TI-82,TI-83+, TI-84+SE, TI-84 Pocket SE, TI-84+CSE, TI-84+CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-92, TI-92 plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Atari 2600, Sega Genesis (model 2), Sega Game Gear, Playstation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

@mazhat They  do, in the sense that they partly achieved  their goals. They wanted to make the site more attractive to Cemetech users and managed to attract a few people from there, but I wish it was not done at the expense of the traditional Omni users.

@Pieman I think you did :P

p2

wooh, only gone for a long weekend and when I return we got other site'S staff guys spying at us :ninja:
Welcome to the forum @Lephe, I'm glad you like the site so far, especially since ur not new to calc forums in general ^^

And @Pieman7373 if you open your profile, you an click on the item "SHOW POSTS" to see your latest posts ;)
https://codewalr.us/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=3827
And ur posting history tells me you already did introduce urself ^^
But feel free to go for a second round  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

Decon Theed

I created this account primarily to leave a little post/thank you in a specific thread, but the community sounds like a pretty nice one so I figured I'd stick around and say hello!

My name's Decon Theed; I don't have any coding experience, but I write music- including some soundtrack work here and there on a couple of low-key (and still in development) indie games. I used to primarily post on Omnimaga's old TIMGUL forums back when they still ran under the name J-MACHine, and I still use the same software I used back then in t'good old days; Music 2000. No idea if linking stuff is considered rude or not, but I post my music for streaming via a personal soundcloud account here: https://soundcloud.com/103_records

Other'n that, there's not much else to say; I'm a big music fan and collector (there's not a single genre of music I don't like, but I favour various forms of Electronic music and Video Game music in particular), and I'm also a fairly big fan of video games- particularly arcade games. I've written a few pieces relating to video game music both for personal projects and for my job as a freelance content writer, and I research the subject in my spare time (although I'm by no means an expert on it  ;)). Oh, yes; I also host a small netlabel via bandcamp called 103 Records, which serves both as a place to host my own music as well as music by friends or associates of mine - https://103records.bandcamp.com/
I listened to Techno just once, and my entire life fell to pieces instantly.

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya J-Machine and welcome back :D  I remember your music and occasionally listen to it when going through the remnants of my TIMGUL backups. I liked the 90's style VGM style.

By the way, I started making more VGM a few years ago. You should check my songs An Obestian Tale, Mysterious Island and Generic Battle. ^^

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

mazhat

Hey, welcome to codewalr.us!
It's a really great place and I know you'll enjoy your stay.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83Plus, TI-84Plus
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Samsung TAB A (Cheap), DSI, Rasperry PI 3
Sketti

Decon Theed

Thanks a ton for the warm welcome, guys; it is greatly appreciated~!

Awww, I'm flattered to hear you've still got some of my old stuff, Omnimaga. Yeah, I will definitely check your stuff out; I saw you've got a bandcamp page, and I've gone ahead and followed it. I recognise a few of the old releases from back in the day ;) I'll definitely have to go through it all when I get a bit of time to spare.
I listened to Techno just once, and my entire life fell to pieces instantly.

Dream of Omnimaga

Just as an head up, try to call me DJ Omnimaga, DJ Omni, DJ_O, djo or DJ to avoid confusion with the Omnimaga website of the same name :P (which I'm no longer associated with)