Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Zelda remade in voxels

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, April 04, 2016, 05:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I just tried this and this looks amazing O.O
http://zelda30tribute.com/

It's a 30th anniversary fan tribute of Zelda for the NES, made in voxels.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

That's cool! And fun! :D
Even my x61s with a crappy graphics card, it runs pretty fast.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Well, voxels are designed to run on old machines in general. There's actually a voxel engine for the TI-89.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

Nice!
Took me a moment to figure out which keys were A and B
Ran perfectly on a Dell Chromebook 11...
But I don't know what I'm supposed to do  :P
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, I first played it on mobile so they showed a virtual NES pad at the bottom. I bet it's not the full game, so perhaps you can't do that much. If it's completed, though, then just get the sword in the first cavern first. The early Zelda games can be confusing for people used to newer games, since you usually start in the middle of nowhere with no clue. And some are poorly translated.

Yuki

I never really figured out the early Zelda games, you can go in those caverns and get items because it's dangerous to go alone, then where are you supposed to go? Anyway, nice remake here.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, back in the days, the game story was usually put before the title screen if you waited long enough for it to scroll, then when hitting start you started instantly with no intro. You really had to search. Even Final Fantasy 1 was like that back then.

Dudeman313

I got the sword, then couldn't figure out how to use it, so I gave up. :P
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

You just press the attack button. :P

EDIT: It seems to be spacebar. I don't know what is the button for the 2nd item, though. Anyway the game isn't complete because you can buy items for free and they don't work.

Dudeman313

Thanks for that. Now I can continue playing! :D
Do you know if there's a shortcut for the [Start] key?

And I'm guessing you are allowed to get those first three items for free because there's no way to get coins b4 you get them.

I wonder if I could create a non-semi-educational game section on my website so I could add embed this into my site? Of course, I'd have to have some way to contact the creators first, unless it's open-source.
The answer is "Sure."

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 05, 2016, 07:20:17 PM

EDIT: It seems to be spacebar. I don't know what is the button for the 2nd item, though. Anyway the game isn't complete because you can buy items for free and they don't work.
It seems to be, on computers, X for A, Z for B.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dudeman313

The game also states at the top that you can use K for A and L for B, but I want to know the [Start] key.

@DJ Omnimaga , where did you find this? I want to know if I can put it on my site.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: 123outerme on April 05, 2016, 10:51:22 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 05, 2016, 07:20:17 PM

It seems to be, on computers, X for A, Z for B.
Weird, those keys didn't work for me. I guess it depends of the OS, system and browser.

Quote from: Dudeman313 on April 05, 2016, 11:13:33 PM
The game also states at the top that you can use K for A and L for B, but I want to know the [Start] key.

@DJ Omnimaga , where did you find this? I want to know if I can put it on my site.
K and L won't do anything for me. Start is Enter.

As for putting it on your site, I found it in the URL I posted in the first post. I am betting this will be gone at any moment (as soon as Nintendo notices, basically, then send the author a DMCA notice), so we probably won't have enough time to find a way to download the game demo to be played offline, sadly. There was a Unity remake of the first stage in Super Mario 64 a while ago, but it was taken down after just a few weeks for copyright infrigment. (Nintendo seems to care more when the game is either sold, is a remake of one of their existing games or includes the original music)

Dudeman313

Thanks!
The top of the screen lists 2 keys for both B and A. I'm not sure why they don't work for you.  :-|

I'll just exclude it, then.
The answer is "Sure."

TIfanx1999

This is pretty neat. The perspective seems a bit weird though. Sometimes, I was able to strike enemies when I didn't think I was close enough, and other times I got  hit by enemies when it looked like they weren't close enough.