Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 20, 2017, 03:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So anyone here has played the new Zelda game for the Wii U and Switch? I personally like it and love the graphics and how polished it is, but I personally wouldn't give it 98-100%, more like 95%, because I feel that the difficulty has been ramped up way too much, thanks to the weapons breaking too often.

Not that it increases the difficulty that much, but when combined with the frequent one-hit kills by enemies, it kinda breaks the flow of the game. I think if they did like some Xbox and Playstation games and added a difficulty setting menu at the beginning, then the game would be pretty much perfect. Easy mode would be more for those who are still looking for a typical Zelda experience but wants to focus more on the story, while an unlockable hard mode could actually make the game even harder. I also feel that they could add more hints about how to do certain things, for those who are new to open world games of that scale.

The open world aspect is really nice, though, because sometimes I like to goof around and do what I want. Plus it makes the game more realistic. (although I don't think having to replace your sword everytime you kill one enemy is realistic :P). As for graphics, I like them and the lag is not even bad. Besides, have you ever seen a PS4 and Xbox One game that doesn't lag (Star Ocean 5 is particularly bad for that)?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p2

I myself haven't done it yet, but a friend of mine has (it's pretty much all she's doing right now besides eat and sleep) and she totally LOVES it.
Looks like it's a worthy successor of the ancient Zelda games  :thumbsup:

I love the graphics of the nature ^^
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

tr1p1ea

Yes! I have it and it is and awesome game!

I love the open world and I immediately just went off into a random direction once I could. I even tackled one of the divine beasts before I even went to Kakariko village XD.

The weapons breaking is a bit annoying, and I got some rare ones that I didnt want to use due to this issue ... so I had to build some displays in my house to hold them.

Basically it will take me forever to actually finish the main storyline due to me basically doing all the side quests and such first.

Dream of Omnimaga

Part of my lower activity lately is due to this game. When I play it I usually play it for many hours at a time because I can be anywhere home when doing so, so I can sometimes do other things.

Anyway I started liking the game more, now that I know some self-sufficiency tricks, such as how to cook meals. The problem is that this game comes with no instruction manual (maybe there's one included in the cart?) and no in-game tutorial other than small tooltips, so you're on your own right from the start and have to figure out everything else by yourself for the most part. I think this might be the only negative aspect. Everything else is just plain awesome because it still has that Zelda feel but you can go anywhere, do anything (or almost), goof around, etc. I'm unsure if I'll ever beat the game since it seems so long but I'll most likely have quite a lot of fun.

My main advices are the following:
-Some enemies have explosive barrels near them. Try to shoot those from a distance with fire arrows or find a way to make them explode without having to go nearby, such as making a big rock roll down on them. The bombs you get in one of the sanctuaries are also very handy for that.
-Cook a lot of meals! Ingredients alone barely gives any hearts back and you really need many meals to keep your health high, since early on you take a lot of damage.
-Complete as many sanctuaries as you can so you can increase your max hearts as high as possible

Now @tr1p1ea what I am wondering is how do you get an house lol? Do you have to build one,  Minecraft-style or what? XD If that's the case then that's even cooler but I wish I knew if it is
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

***Spoilers***

[spoiler]In Hateno Village there are a bunch of people dismantling a house (its in the SW part of the town on a hill and over a small bridge) - which you can buy for 3000 rupees and some bundles of wood. The guy (Bolson?) who sells it to you is a pink pants dude with a neck-er-chief(?) and earrings etc. They also let you buy upgrades and stuff too. This also opens up another side quest that's along the same lines as well.[/spoiler]

Hayleia

With all the awesome reviews everywhere, I was kind of underwhelmed when I finally gave it a try.

If there is a storyline, it isn't obvious from the beginning. I mean a female voice saying "wake up, Link" with Link sleeping in a magical bath in a cave. Could you even make it more stereotypical if you tried? I couldn't. Then towers coming out of the ground. Saints Row IV did this. And Saints Row IV mocked every unoriginal everything. And then "wow wow, evil Ganon has taken over the castle, or maybe the contrary, we're not too sure anymore, but whatever, at some point we'll be doomed and need a savior". Really? Even Monster Hunter makes better scenarios than this.

Then again, that's only after one hour of playing. Maybe there's more to the story after that. But yeah, that's kind of the other annoying point. In one hour I just got that due to running around like a fool just to get to my objective. If that's just the beginning where it's supposed to be more tutorial-ish and the rest is going to make me run around even more, it's going to be boring.

So yeah, of course, don't take this as the best opinion ever on BoTW since I usually don't like Zelda games (the only one I liked enough to finish was Minish Cap, then I could have finished ALBW if I didn't lose my savegame maybe) and I only played for one hour. But that just explains why I stopped BoTW for Splatoon.

Does the game get more interesting later on? I usually love open world games (which is why I tried that particular Zelda) so I would really be annoyed if I missed something huge just because the beginning is bad. I'd give it another try with other expectations if you would tell me I should.

Dream of Omnimaga

I would say it gets more interesting once you stop getting killed in one single hit by every monster and finally find out how to not break all your weapons with 3 hits, but it takes a while. I think it's just more exploration-oriented overall. It's hard to tell which Zelda I like the best, since I didn't play all of them and this one is vastly different. My favorite was A Link to the Past since ages.

tr1p1ea

There is a story - but it isnt going to be spoonfed to you. You have to actually discover it.

Complaining that Zelda has Zelda elements reminds me of people who complained that Rogue One had too much Star Wars in it ... what exactly are people expecting?

It is a game that requires the player to engage for an extended period, not '10 minute rounds at a time' like most other games these days.

Dream of Omnimaga

I guess people are used to Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past

tr1p1ea

It's horses for courses I guess - Either the type of game appeals to you, or it doesn't.

Nothing wrong with having a preference.

I personally like it, but can understand why it's not everyone's cup of tea.

The REAL question is: What would this game have done for the WiiU had the Switch not been announced yet?

Dream of Omnimaga

On launch day I heard that in France, the Wii U version sold three times less copies than the Switch version. I think it will sell about 1 million copies on the Wii U and maybe 4-5 on the Switch (unless it's more due to how long it took before a new Zelda comes out).

Personally I see this new Zelda as Zelda, but with a slightly different experience. All Zelda games got different experiences and I somehow liked many of them. The freedom is astounding. I just went to some village in Gerudo desert after spending an hour climbing mountains and stuff, even though I'm not even supposed to go there (I just left the first map section and crossed some bridge)

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 06, 2017, 03:26:31 AM
I guess people are used to Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past
Quote from: tr1p1ea on April 05, 2017, 11:05:42 PM
Complaining that Zelda has Zelda elements reminds me of people who complained that Rogue One had too much Star Wars in it ... what exactly are people expecting?
This can't be me since I'm not a fan of Zeldas, so I don't really know what are "Zelda elements" and never played A Link to the Past (and was bored in OoT) :P

Quote from: tr1p1ea on April 05, 2017, 11:05:42 PM
It is a game that requires the player to engage for an extended period, not '10 minute rounds at a time' like most other games these days.
Well that's a problem. I don't have long periods of time available in my schedule outside of week ends.
I guess I'll play Splatoon during weeks and consider BoTW in week ends.

But ok. If that was just a bad first impression (at least on me, not necessarily on everyone), I don't mind. I mean, Monster Hunter makes even worse first impressions and MH4U is one of my favourite games of all times (my current inner debate even puts it before Smash in my list). So ok, I'll discard that first impression and give that game a serious try later.

tr1p1ea

Agree that in this day and age it's harder to find time to play games that require a prolonged sitting.

You never know, it may grow on you!

Hayleia

Quote from: tr1p1ea on April 06, 2017, 08:51:13 PM
Agree that in this day and age it's harder to find time to play games that require a prolonged sitting.

You never know, it may grow on you!
Yeah, I agree, but it's going to have a hard time growing on me. I do not have enough "prolonged sitting" periods of time in my schedule.

Dream of Omnimaga

Zelda games, especially the 3D ones, are very oriented towards puzzle solving and tend to be less linear than action JRPG's out there.