Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Gamebuino (Arduino-based portable game console)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, February 16, 2015, 03:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkestEx

Yeah, this thing supports microSD's up to 32GB.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

CKH4

If you port one of your RPGs DJ I'll be sure to play it. I got mana force on my friends cse and while a little confusing the ASCII art is really good. On this it might be difficult to use ASCII though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

Unicorn

So yeah, dj, if your RPG is over 32gb you are out of luck.
I also wanted to ask, can you program on the gambuino?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Do you want it though? i mean i don't know if it only has gamepad-like controlls. Would be a bit hard to program on that...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Unicorn

Oh yeah... In that case, no it wouldn't be very good. :P
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

DarkestEx

Quote from: Unicorn on May 15, 2015, 04:18:05 PM
So yeah, dj, if your RPG is over 32gb you are out of luck.
I also wanted to ask, can you program on the gambuino?
You can't yet. I am working on some kind of a BASIC dialekt (but project is pretty inactive). Maybe Java could be possible too or my new bytecode language could be ported to it. But there will obviously never be a C compiler on this device :P
The programs are written in C on a computer though.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Unicorn

Coolio, I want to get this though, are the emulators nice?

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

CKH4

I have not been able to get the android emulator to play a game. Sadly the only way to get games onto it is through Dropbox in the android version.

Snektron

What a horrible system. At least you're not running the Android SDK's emulator. Right? Right?!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

Quote from: CKH4 on May 15, 2015, 08:48:14 PM
I have not been able to get the android emulator to play a game. Sadly the only way to get games onto it is through Dropbox in the android version.
Don't use the Android emulator. It sucks.
The .Net powered Windows emulator is great though.

CKH4

Oh that's good to know, I was worried that all their emulators didn't work.

Dream of Omnimaga

What languages can Gamebuino games be programmed in by the way, besides C?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 16, 2015, 06:07:22 PM
What languages can Gamebuino games be programmed in by the way, besides C?
Not too many, but:

• Assembly
  • C
  • C++
  • Java
  • Scripting languages / Bytecode languages

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I suppose that everything that gets compiled into binary code could be run on the 'duino. As long as the result isn't too heavy... (Goodbye C++'s STL)
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

DarkestEx

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on May 19, 2015, 05:16:13 PM
I suppose that everything that gets compiled into binary code could be run on the 'duino. As long as the result isn't too heavy... (Goodbye C++'s STL)
Yeah, exactly. The only limitation is the fact, that there's no MMU and no way of natively executing dynamic assemblies.