Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Thunderbirds v2.0.0

Started by JamesV, February 09, 2016, 06:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesV

I feel like I should cross-post about this here - CodeWalrus didn't exist when I first started this project!! :P

Around 15.5 years ago I released Thunderbirds for the TI-83/83+ calculators, but there were a lot of things I wasn't happy with. Thus I'm working on an updated version, which will feature much smoother gameplay & controls, hopefully all 4 missions at some point, and will be available on the 83+/84+ as a flash app and on the 84+CE as a standard program.

I actually started this new version about 5 years ago but never got it finished - and it got to about here:

I've recently resumed/restarted it, including working on the 84+CE version. It's very early days, but you can see one of the characters (not yet animated properly) walking around in an empty room:

The game is based on a game for the Amiga, which was based on the 1960's TV series, which was one of my favourite shows as a child.

Anyhow, I shall post more as it progresses :)

aetios

That looks really cool! :D I like Thunderbirds, even when I didn't really watch it as a child :P
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

Hooray! Another thing to add to my small game directory before DCE comes out!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

For some unknown reasons, I didn't realize that there was a topic about this here and I'm glad I saw it now because this looks really awesome, especially the landscape graphics in the monochrome version. The CE version is a nice addition as well. I hope you can manage to finish both versions :)

Also was Thunderbirds that one puppet show like Terrahawks? I never got into those shows as kid but I want to watch some episodes at one point. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 13, 2016, 05:00:53 AM
For some unknown reasons, I didn't realize that there was a topic about this here and I'm glad I saw it now because this looks really awesome, especially the landscape graphics in the monochrome version. The CE version is a nice addition as well. I hope you can manage to finish both versions :)

Also was Thunderbirds that one puppet show like Terrahawks? I never got into those shows as kid but I want to watch some episodes at one point. :)
I hope I get both versions finished too! ;)

Yeah Thunderbirds was a puppet show originally screened back in 1965. There's also a new CGI series that started last year, which for the most part remains quite faithful to the original series, albeit being more obviously targeted towards younger kids (the original series was generally aimed for kids, but did have some amusing humour & references that adults could appreciate too).

Dream of Omnimaga

Was the show from USA? Because I tend to have issues understanding humor from UK and Australia if it uses slang from way back then. >.<

I wonder if they ever made Terrahawks-based games, or if it would be feasible to do a Thunderbirds 84+CE spinoff based on Terrahawks instead of Thunderbirds?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 01, 2016, 05:49:27 AM
Was the show from USA? Because I tend to have issues understanding humor from UK and Australia if it uses slang from way back then. >.<

I wonder if they ever made Terrahawks-based games, or if it would be feasible to do a Thunderbirds 84+CE spinoff based on Terrahawks instead of Thunderbirds?
The show was a UK production, but most of the main characters were North American.

I've not seen Terrahawks. But when Thunderbirds is finally complete, I'll be releasing the source, so anyone would be welcome to adapt to their own version if they wanted :)

Dudeman313

Have you begun implementing missions and tools yet? And might there be some sort of on-calc help page, even just for the conrols? On the monochrome version, I was confused as to what I was to do, where, and how to do it-but then again, I ignored the readme... And some things were hard for me to figure out without color or greyscale.
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 02, 2016, 03:41:28 AM
Have you begun implementing missions and tools yet? And might there be some sort of on-calc help page, even just for the conrols? On the monochrome version, I was confused as to what I was to do, where, and how to do it-but then again, I ignored the readme... And some things were hard for me to figure out without color or greyscale.
I haven't done much on this in the last week or so, as I've been doing Spaze Invaders and going back to Alien Breed for a bit. I intend to make some more progress on Alien Breed over the next week or so, then I'll probably switch over to Thunderbirds again to push further. I need to try to rip the original character sprites out of the Amiga ROM if I can, to simplify the graphics side of things :P

I do intend to make things much clearer in this version, perhaps with a tutorial or help page as you've suggested :)

Dudeman313

Quote from: JamesV on March 02, 2016, 04:03:18 AM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 02, 2016, 03:41:28 AM
I haven't done much on this in the last week or so, as I've been doing Spaze Invaders and going back to Alien Breed for a bit. I intend to make some more progress on Alien Breed over the next week or so, then I'll probably switch over to Thunderbirds again to push further. I need to try to rip the original character sprites out of the Amiga ROM if I can, to simplify the graphics side of things :P

I do intend to make things much clearer in this version, perhaps with a tutorial or help page as you've suggested :)
If I could just play the Amiga game, I could probably recreate the sprites, unless you're already past that step.
The answer is "Sure."

JamesV

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 21, 2016, 01:42:31 PMIf I could just play the Amiga game, I could probably recreate the sprites, unless you're already past that step.
I've been experimenting with ripping the sprites directly from the Amiga disk ROM using WinUAE, but I haven't been successful so far. Hopefully I can get it to work though, as it would make things much faster :)

Dudeman313

Yeah, I hope so too. But I'm bored a lot, so if you can give me screenshots and a sprite size, I could help, if you want. :P
If you manage to get that to work, then hopefully it'll be soon. :)
The answer is "Sure."