Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How to test website on iOS legally without owning an Apple device?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, August 19, 2015, 02:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unicorn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on August 19, 2015, 06:33:28 AM
Wait, I thought that XCode and its emulator required an paid Apple Developer license or membership in order to be installed? Also is the emulator guaranted to emulate iOS browsers exactly how they are on the real thing or are they just desktop browsers set to a smaller resolution with the user agent replaced to show mobile websites by default?
I had a version running with an IOS 6 emulator included that had a working web browser. For free, of course. I believe that you only need to pay if you want your thing on the AppStore.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

Hmm I see. Nonetheless, I wish that there was an alternative that is available for Windows, such as a browser that emulates iOS engine, for web devs. Maybe Apple patented it? The issue is I don't really want to depend on someone else who owns an iDevice/Mac just to test a website, although that can always be a solution I guess.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

So yeah, until @Juju or someone else with a Mac finds some time to help making the site compatible with iOS browsers, I encourage people who use iPads and iPhones such as @c4ooo to upgrade to at least Internet Explorer 6 for Windows, since it appears to be much more compatible. :P

Also for some reasons I posted this topic in the calc sub-forums. I moved it now.

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Yeah, you need a mac to run the "emulator" (it's more of a simulator) and you can't debug on hardware unless you pay for a developer account (fu apple).

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh wow... if it's a simulator, then I am not 100% confident it will even display the site exactly like on the real iDevices.

With Apple's greediness and restrictions, I sometimes have to wonder if small sites like CodeWalrus aren't better off doing what sites sometimes did with IE6 and simply place a big warning box at the top of the page saying the site  will not run properly on iOS and that switching is recommended? I mean, I am kidding about IE6 above, but IE6 and iOS browsers are the only browsers on which WalrusIRC doesn't work. It's a serious problem if all web developers have to pay extra money just to make sure that their sites work on iOS. >.<

novenary

I was talking about applications, but obviously if you want to test on hardware you need to buy a device. I have an ipod touch but it's ancient (gen2, won't upgrade past ios 4.2 or so).

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh ok I thought you meant a browser simulator. So basically there are no iOS browser emulator/simulator?

novenary

The iOS IDE comes with a device simulator which includes the browser. I have no idea how close it is to the real thing though.

Dream of Omnimaga

I see now. I don't trust it. What if Juju buys it for his Mac, only to end up with an innacurate simulator like old versions of TI-Smartview and the TI-Nspire Student software that can't reproduce the error? Better wait until we get an iOS user who is commited and motivated enough to test our stuff.

Unicorn

I'll try to set something up myself. I mean, getting the simulator to work is really easy.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

novenary

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 01, 2015, 02:44:22 AM
I see now. I don't trust it. What if Juju buys it for his Mac, only to end up with an innacurate simulator like old versions of TI-Smartview and the TI-Nspire Student software that can't reproduce the error? Better wait until we get an iOS user who is commited and motivated enough to test our stuff.
IIRC the IDE is free.

Yuki

I downloaded it yesterday, then fell asleep. Now gotta check if my Xcode upgrade contains an iOS Simulator as advertised.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol I see. Let us know if it has one. Hopefully Friday you are done moving and cleaning completely so you can finally settle back into your school and non-school projects.