Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Swords!

Started by Frost Sheridan, September 23, 2015, 04:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frost Sheridan

Because this topic orginally came up on Omnimaga, it's going to be weird because I basically never post here so anyone here that isn't on Omnimaga won't know me, but DJ Omnimaga suggested that I post this here too. When I originally tried to talk about this on Omnimaga it didn't go well, mostly because I was quite a noob when it comes to swords at that time.

Somewhat recently I developed a weird new interest in swords (which is kinda why I don't do much with calcs or programming any more). Even more recently I started learning and practicing Figueiredo's montante rules (for fun, I guess. idk) and many water bottles and pumpkins have been killed in my back yard. :P My sword that I use for montante stuff and cutting things is a Hanwei claymore with a 40-inch blade that weighs 5.2 pounds. I named it Kieran :P

So, does anyone else have swords/practice sword techniques/cut stuff?

Dream of Omnimaga

You should probably be fine, since several CW members are former Omni members who were around when you were active. :)

Also I love that sword. I wish I had money to afford one like this right now. We had sword stores here but they all closed years ago and the only one left mostly sells foam swords. Nice hobby by the way, although I do not know much about sword practicing rules and stuff like that. Do you have other weapons?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Frost Sheridan

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 23, 2015, 05:33:03 PM
Also I love that sword. I wish I had money to afford one like this right now.
Thanks! I didn't really have the money either when I got mine, but I don't regret it at all. It was well worth it.

Do you have other weapons?
No, just Kieran. Other weapons don't do it for me. Just swords :P

alexgt

I go to local renaissance festivals but I don't own any :( I would like to but I have limited money any my parents would say no xD
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Spyro543 on September 23, 2015, 07:25:33 PM
Also I love that sword. I wish I had money to afford one like this right now.
Thanks! I didn't really have the money either when I got mine, but I don't regret it at all. It was well worth it.

Do you have other weapons?
No, just Kieran. Other weapons don't do it for me. Just swords :P
Oh I meant weapons including other swords :) . Also there was a small festival like this a few years ago here (they call them medieval festivals here, though, not renaissance) but I don't remember if there was  a sword exposition or store.  In any case, if I buy a sword it better be discrete when I bring it back home, else I am unsure if I would be able to get inside public transit lol (since it would be a weapon).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Frost Sheridan

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on September 24, 2015, 06:22:23 AM
Oh I meant weapons including other swords :)
No, just this one sword. I might get like one or two more, but that's it really. I don't have any interest in starting a collection, I want to actually learn how to use them. If I had a huge collection, I could never have enough time to really learn how each of them works. To me, swords are a lot more than just something pretty to hang on the wall.
Also there was a small festival like this a few years ago here (they call them medieval festivals here, though, not renaissance) but I don't remember if there was  a sword exposition or store.  In any case, if I buy a sword it better be discrete when I bring it back home, else I am unsure if I would be able to get inside public transit lol (since it would be a weapon).
I told another member on Omnimaga this and I think I mentioned this to you on Facebook, but watch out for fake swords being sold there. You'll most likely find stuff that won't survive one swing, or extremely overpriced functional swords. The best place to get them is online from a trusted manufacturer and vendor. I like Kult of Athena. Hanwei is a good manufacturer. Expect to pay at least $150 for a functional sword (mine was $220).

princetonlion.tibd

I assume that it didn't help the Omni discussion by sidetracking it to Tolkien on accident?

I should look into swords
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84 + CSE, Voyager 200, TI-Nspire
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)

Snektron

Cool sword! I don't really have any weapons, except some pocket knives. A few years back i made an air rifle though, that thing packed quite the punch too O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Frost Sheridan

Quote from: alexgt on September 24, 2015, 02:35:52 AM
I go to local renaissance festivals but I don't own any :( I would like to but I have limited money any my parents would say no xD
You never know. I was sure that my parents would say no and they would think it's a stupid hobby, so I just kept my interest hidden for a couple years before deciding I could try to ask them, and when I did,  they actually thought it was awesome and were fine with me getting it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Spyro543 on September 24, 2015, 11:40:11 AM
Oh I meant weapons including other swords :)
No, just this one sword. I might get like one or two more, but that's it really. I don't have any interest in starting a collection, I want to actually learn how to use them. If I had a huge collection, I could never have enough time to really learn how each of them works. To me, swords are a lot more than just something pretty to hang on the wall.
Also there was a small festival like this a few years ago here (they call them medieval festivals here, though, not renaissance) but I don't remember if there was  a sword exposition or store.  In any case, if I buy a sword it better be discrete when I bring it back home, else I am unsure if I would be able to get inside public transit lol (since it would be a weapon).
I told another member on Omnimaga this and I think I mentioned this to you on Facebook, but watch out for fake swords being sold there. You'll most likely find stuff that won't survive one swing, or extremely overpriced functional swords. The best place to get them is online from a trusted manufacturer and vendor. I like Kult of Athena. Hanwei is a good manufacturer. Expect to pay at least $150 for a functional sword (mine was $220).
I wouldn't mind a replica sword or a copy of an original, but as long as the quality allows me to use it. I don't want shiny stuff where the bright finish is actually paint that will peel off just at the slightest impact. $150 seems like a good price, although with the Canadian dollar nowadays that might be a little steep for me right now. Knockoffs are almost always done cheaply (I wouldn't be surprised if sometimes the blade went loose at the first swing. But again that might be funny if used safely, since someone could film a live-action Zelda II movie :P)