Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your rarest and most expensive physical video games (collectibles)

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 05, 2016, 08:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So we have a topic where people can post their game purchases or their collection, but it pretty much includes anything, even digital downloads. But with the recent release of Xenoblade Chronicles X, Devil's Third and the skyrocketing price of Bayonetta 2, I thought I would create a topic about rare game copies and ones that are now pretty expensive so we can brag or discuss about the ones we got or wish we could get. You can also include games that are not that expensive in loose cartridge form, but ends up very pricey when the box or manual is included or if factory-sealed.

I would advise against posting anything expensive you own if people in real life knows you by your Internet nickname, though.

I don't own any of the super mega crazy expensive games like Hagane, NWC, Stadium Events or Worms Armageddon N64, but the games I got that would be worthy of a mention are the following.:

-Bomberman 64: The Second Attack (N64 cart)
-Demon's Crest (SNES cart only)
-Lufia II: Rise of Sinistrals (SNES cart only)
-Super Buster Bros (SNES box with cart)
-Secret of Mana (SNES cart, poster and manual)
-F-Zero (SNES factory-sealed)
-Dragon Warrior 4 (NES cart)
-Zelda: Windwaker+OoT/Master Quest combo (GCN complete)
-Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN complete)
-Super Smash Bros Melee (GCN complete)
-Custer's Revenge (Atari 2600 complete)
-FIFA 14 (PS2 complete)
-Ys I & II Premium Edition (PSP complete)
-Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm Collector Edition (PC factory-sealed)

I might have forgotten some, but I'll edit the post in such case.

Among those, Bomberman Second Attack used to be like $80, but prices recently skyrocketed for some reasons, same for the factory-sealed version of F-Zero that I got. Super Buster Bros isn't expensive when you only want the cart, but with the box it gets quite pricey. As for FIFA 14, the copy I got was only sold in South America in small quantities it's next to impossible to find on Amazon/Ebay in NTSC format (I don't even know how much it's worth but I once saw a $100 copy on Amazon).

Seeing the price of some of those games nowadays makes me glad that I got them back when they were less expensive, especially with the Canadian exchange rate. Maybe I should sell one of them to get Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii.

I also got a SNES repro cart of Terranigma with a custom box, but it doesn't keep its saves unless I keep the game in the SNES cartridge slot.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

I don't think I have any rare game in my collection, all I have is a few GCN and GBA games from my childhood. :/

alexgt

Those sound really cool DJ but I don't really own physical games :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Dream of Omnimaga

@Streetwalrus don't you have Twilight Princess? That would fit the category if it's complete with instructions. The Wii version is dirt cheap, but the GCN version was released at the end of the Gamecube lifespan and thus, is more rare.

@alexgt I personally prefer physical copies, because if e-Shop, PSN, Xbox Live Arcade, Steam, GOG or Desura ever closes, then I can lose my games, and at least with physical copies I can trade them in at local game stores.

Also I just got Kid Icarus Uprising for 3DS, but I didn't add it to the list because it's an used copy that only has the regular box so the price is standard.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Nah I don't own Twilight Princess, I finished it three times on GC though. :trollface:

Dream of Omnimaga

So you played a pirated copy during the entire time? :P

Also I think Mario/Yoshi/Kirby/Zelda games on the Wii U will end up as expensive as the ones on the GCN because the console didn't sell well either. The N64 had the same issue, but not as bad. It's more the late N64 games that became expensive.

Ivoah

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 05, 2016, 09:46:34 PM
@Streetwalrus don't you have Twilight Princess? That would fit the category if it's complete with instructions. The Wii version is dirt cheap, but the GCN version was released at the end of the Gamecube lifespan and thus, is more rare.

@alexgt I personally prefer physical copies, because if e-Shop, PSN, Xbox Live Arcade, Steam, GOG or Desura ever closes, then I can lose my games, and at least with physical copies I can trade them in at local game stores.

Also I just got Kid Icarus Uprising for 3DS, but I didn't add it to the list because it's an used copy that only has the regular box so the price is standard.

We have a copy of Twilight Princess for the GC, we got it pre-owned at game stop for $30, and it doesn't have the manual.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

novenary

Yeah, I'd love to get a copy of twilight princess and wind waker though.

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 05, 2016, 09:46:34 PM

Yeah, but I buy all my games with Steam and they are a multi multi billion dollar business, so them closing is quite slim :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Indeed, but we never know. After all, Target is very big, yet they failed very hard in Canada (to the point even their US parent barely recovered), and I heard that McDonald's and Walmart had some troubles since over a year due to decreasing profits. :P

Also, I wonder if this will sell? :P

alexgt

Yeah, big businesses can never fail according to Obama, so  he just pumps money into them (that is what he did in the 2008 depression <_<).

I actually have a really rare game somewhere, (I can't find it :trollface:)

Dream of Omnimaga

What is it?

Also I don't know if this is a hoax or if it's really Natsume Ebay account, but I found this O.O http://www.retrocollect.com/News/japanese-publisher-natsume-selling-factory-sealed-super-nintendo-released-from-new-old-stock.html

Apparently, Natsume had some factory-sealed SNES/N64 games in their storage and put them on auction on Ebay. The big titles obviously increased fast in prices, though.

This reminds me how some uncirculated copies of F-Zero for the SNES printed in 1997 (with the E logo from ESRB) eventually made it on Ebay. Those remained for $30 for years, factory-sealed, although it seems they increased in price lately. The same thing happened with Custer's Revenge.

EDIT: Wow, look what I see here? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/F-Zero-Super-Nintendo-SNES-Factory-Sealed-6-Pack-Game-Box-/111877995243?hash=item1a0c72baeb:g:RMwAAOSwKtlWnCgA

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder if anybody could explain to me what made Super Bowling (N64) price increase so much in just a few months recently?

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/nintendo-64/super-bowling#

Was it featured by some popular Youtube reviewer like what happened to Hagane and Demon's Crest in 2012?

aetios

I got Zelda : LTTP CIB. That qualifies I guess. I also got Metroid Prime Trilogy.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow nice. I never could find a full copy of Zelda LTTP but one friend IRL did a few years ago for $15. I got the French version, though, which is very rare in North America. However, it was only sold in Quebec and isn't known well outside that province, so since the demand is not very high, the price/scarcity don't qualify for this thread. There's a $70 copy on Ebay right now in Canadian dollars.