Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

New member introductions: Say hello here!

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 20, 2014, 02:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hll9264

Hello All!  My name is Anne and I'm new to this forum. ;D
In December I bought a TI-Nspire CX from a classmate, he only used it for linear algebra a couple years ago.  At the time, I didn't realize that the CAS has a lot more capabilities.  I'm already passed my math classes, now I'm in engineering classes where no regard is given to the type of calculator used (in the classes where a graphing calculator is allowed).  I'd like to install the CAS OS onto my CX along with anything else that would be beneficial for my electrical and computer engineering classes.  I'd also like to learn how to program my calculator to do tedious operations in engineering/physics/math.  I've only had introductory courses in C, C++, Java, and Assembly, so I'm afraid to do this on my own.  But I'm here for the helpful calculator community!   ;D  :blah: (I really wanted to do this emoji)  :w00t: (and this one too)

Dudeman313

Welcome to the glorious :walrii: haven, home to Walrii (:walrii:), awesome projects, and awesome people. Feel free to ask about anything when you need help.
I, personally, think that coding is awesome. My problem is, I can't code to save my life. :P I've always wanted to learn C and ASM, but I can't find anyone to teach me or enough time to sit down and follow a tutorial.

I hope you are able to get help with your Nspire. I only have a CE, and no nothing when it comes to that. :P
As for the emojis, I KNOW THE FEELING. This is my second month here, but also my 400th something post. :w00t:
;D
But don't go overboard. :)
:blah:
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Araidia

Hello @hll9264 and welcome to the forums!
For the TI Nspire, there is Ndless, that allows you to code in other languages for your Nspire!
Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 26, 2016, 01:35:33 AM
But you have over 400 posts averaging 10 posts a day  ;D  ;D  ;D
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dudeman313

Quote from: Araidia on February 26, 2016, 02:17:58 AM
That has nothing to do with my emoji :ninja: ness. I can sneak in as many of these as I want. :P Have you read the thread about @Ivoah 's CHIP-8 Emulator? I'm just a master that way. :P
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya @hll9264  and welcome to the forums. If you need help or want to showcase something you made, then feel free to do so on the forums. :) Also a lot of people know C and C++, since they are useable on several calculators and platforms, and they might be happy to help.

By the way, since your TI-Nspire is a few years old, then this probably means you can use Ndless. I don't remember if hardware J through V can run nLaunchy, though (which lets you use a CAS OS on a non-CAS model, as well as Linux).
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

Quote from: Dudeman313 on February 26, 2016, 04:28:03 AM
Quote from: Araidia on February 26, 2016, 02:17:58 AM
That has nothing to do with my emoji :ninja: ness. I can sneak in as many of these as I want. :P Have you read the thread about @Ivoah 's CHIP-8 Emulator? I'm just a master that way. :P
I thought you were talking about posts  ;D
So many  :ninja: s
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

• Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

DexterCD

Quote from: aeTIosaugh, misspelling my name the first time you mention me <_<;;
Woops!   :-[ :P Won't happen again!

Quote from: DJ OmnimagaDexter yeah I noticed that the new Ndless softwares cannot run on newer hardware. I think that nowadays, TI just changes the calculator hardware to block Ndless, which might explain why they are so lax about it on older models and no longer patch Ndless as hard as they used to on an OS standpoint. I'm betting another exploit will be found in new hardwares, like with previous ones, though, but that might take longer.

Also good idea to start small. Then you can gradually move up the latter in terms of project size and complexity. :)
They're that invested in blocking Ndless!? That's really frustrating. :banghead: The Ndless developers seem very invested in what they're doing, so I'm confident they'll find something.

Yup, the project is going pretty well! I had a few problems, but most of them are resolved! Right now it features a leader board and allows you to fill in pi! If you make a mistake you're asked to fill in your name and then asked if you want to play again. I have many more ideas for the application, like a more complex scoring system rather instead of solely how many digits you know (time bonus etc..), and I want to make it prettier.

Quote from: AraidiaDo you know any good resources to learn c++ or did you learn it in school(I'm currently learning Python)?
I'm self taught. I learned C++ first by following online video tutorials, after that I got a modern C++ book (C++ primer, note: there's also a book called c++ primer plus. that one is not as good though). That book and the world wide web taught me everything I know about the language.
If you want to learn C++ I suggest you follow a few online tutorials so you're sure you'd like it, if you do like it I suggest buying a book because online tutorials can often be misleading and teach you bad programming habits.

Quote from: Dudeman313Oh. I would sell the TI-83 on eBay, but that's just me. :P
Again, welcome! I hope you feel comfortable settling into our friendly and Walriified environment. Maybe eventually, you'll make your own :walrii: ! :P
I might sell it later, but my little brother ('little', 6 minutes younger :P) needs a graphing calculator for school next year, so I'll lend him that one!
So far this community seems great and I definitely feel welcome!
  • Calculators owned: TI 83, TI 83+, TI Nspire CX

Dream of Omnimaga

That's good to hear. Don't feel afraid to participate in existing topics too :3=

aetios

Glad you feel welcome! :D

mumble mumble our trick is working mumble mumble lure them in mumble mumble lead them awaymake them lose the game
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dudeman313

The answer is "Sure."

nullweist

Hello, my name is Andrew. I have an HP Prime that I got for my birthday. I enjoy building programs on my calculator (mostly simple ones) and wanted a place to share some of them and get help.
  • Calculators owned: Hp Prime

Dream of Omnimaga

Heya @nullweist, I think I remember you from a few months ago, but you had a different forum account (Andrew Weist, at https://codewalr.us/index.php?action=profile;u=784 ). Would you like your two accounts to be merged?

I'm glad to see you back, by the way. We are not many HP Prime owners here but some have it and love it. I myself plan to make some games for it in the future (I only made a Tunnel game so far). If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and we will be happy to help whenever we can. Also feel free to showcase what you have made (calculator, PC, mobile, art, etc) :)

Quote from: aeTIos on February 29, 2016, 08:41:48 AMmumble mumble our trick is working mumble mumble lure them in mumble mumble lead them awaymake them lose the game

@aeTIos when I saw your small text, I lost the game before even zooming it, because I knew the text would end with that. :P

nullweist

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 02, 2016, 04:30:31 AM
Would you like your two accounts to be merged?
That would be great, I didn't like the username of the first one, and the only solution I could find was to make a new account.
Thanks.
  • Calculators owned: Hp Prime

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah I see now. I thought you forgot your password or forgot you had another account. That can happen when users don't visit the site for a long time. @Juju , @aeTIos or @Streetwalrus can fix that (they can also change nicknames if you want it changed again in the future)

EDIT: Actually I have enough privileges to add your old posts to your new account, just not deleting the old account. :P (I also discovered a SMF bug that causes the option to recount the user post count to not work so I had to edit it manually)