Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[nspire] nSquirrel : Squirrel programming language on Ti-Nspire

Started by Duke "Tape" Eiyeron, March 30, 2016, 08:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

Nice Duke! Maybe I will actually use my nSpire then :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: alexgt on May 13, 2016, 02:17:58 AM

This sentence sums up what I feared from the Nspire scene? "Oh? A new thing for them? Meh". Can we declare the official death of the Nspire scene and forget this calculator so we don't have to do it later?
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

aetios

Quote from: Ivoah on April 08, 2016, 01:12:33 PM
Quote from: aeTIos on April 08, 2016, 01:06:08 PM
I should try this, gotta dust off my nspire :P
I thought you Nspire's USB port was broken
That's my 84+ :/ A real shame. Eiyeron: I'll be sending this to my nspire sometime soon. (think: tomorrow or the day after)
Will report back.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Duke "Tape" Eiyeron on May 13, 2016, 07:25:20 AM
Quote from: alexgt on May 13, 2016, 02:17:58 AM

This sentence sums up what I feared from the Nspire scene? "Oh? A new thing for them? Meh". Can we declare the official death of the Nspire scene and forget this calculator so we don't have to do it later?
I wouldn't say it's dead, in fact it's more active than the fx-CG20 and HP Prime, but from 2011 to 2014 TI alienated most prominent Nspire coders by repeatedly locking down their calcs against Ndless development, so there are a lot fewer Nspire projects now.

I wouldn't recommend giving up, but for future projects it might be a good move to make them cross-compatible between the TI-Nspire and TI-83 Premium CE or at least between the Nspire and fx-CG20.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U
Now active at https://discord.gg/cuZcfcF (CodeWalrus server)

Vogtinator

I think the main reason for Nspire activity declining is that it's just not special.
The Nspire is just way too close to smartphones and there is nothing special and hard about development.
No hard restrictions like a Z80, 1bit greyscale etc. just a "normal" embedded ARM system.
Also, there are not that many Nspire users as TI-[0-99] users and even there the developer/user ratio is quite small.

QuoteI wouldn't recommend giving up, but for future projects it might be a good move to make them cross-compatible between the TI-Nspire and TI-83 Premium CE or at least between the Nspire and fx-CG20.
Not really. The platforms are too different (just from a performance standpoint) for it to work out.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah  yeah I forgot about the non-special factor. Most calc programmers started calc programming because they liked to push old-school platforms with 80's style technical specs to their limits and make them achieve things that no one thought that could ever be possible before.

The TI-Nspire caught on at first because smartphone games were not that popular when Ndless came out. But then smartphones got much more powerful and unlike the TI-84 Plus CE, the TI-Nspire CX lacked the charm from vintage platforms. It's a shame, though. Also I bet that if the Nspire CX had a BASIC-like language that could do decent games, but more old-school than Lua, then it might have gotten quite a following, just like PICO-8 on the PC.

But seriously, while the Nspire CX activity declined over the year, it was much more severe around when TI released hardware J and OS 3.2.4. Hardware J and OS 3.2.4 seemed like the final nail in the coffin at the time, so many developers left. Plus back then, Lua was much slower and less powerful, or at least if it got more powerful then it took too long before people finally realized it.

Also console emulators probably made some game programmers reluctant about making brand new games for the platform, since their smaller games would have to compete head-on against big franchises. But of course it depends of how people sees it. Some people might just want to make new games just for the sake of creativity.

Also, it's possible that some schools switched to the color TI-84+ models.

Also about cross-compatibility I wasn't necessarily refering to big projects, but rather smaller ones. For example, Axe Parser for both the Nspire CX and 84+CE would be nice, same for C versions of Reuben Quest, for example, both of which ran on 6 MHz calculators fine.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on May 14, 2016, 04:59:34 AM
Ah  yeah I forgot about the non-special factor. Most calc programmers started calc programming because they liked to push old-school platforms with 80's style technical specs to their limits and make them achieve things that no one thought that could ever be possible before.

The TI-Nspire caught on at first because smartphone games were not that popular when Ndless came out. But then smartphones got much more powerful and unlike the TI-84 Plus CE, the TI-Nspire CX lacked the charm from vintage platforms. It's a shame, though. Also I bet that if the Nspire CX had a BASIC-like language that could do decent games, but more old-school than Lua, then it might have gotten quite a following, just like PICO-8 on the PC.

But seriously, while the Nspire CX activity declined over the year, it was much more severe around when TI released hardware J and OS 3.2.4. Hardware J and OS 3.2.4 seemed like the final nail in the coffin at the time, so many developers left. Plus back then, Lua was much slower and less powerful, or at least if it got more powerful then it took too long before people finally realized it.

Also console emulators probably made some game programmers reluctant about making brand new games for the platform, since their smaller games would have to compete head-on against big franchises. But of course it depends of how people sees it. Some people might just want to make new games just for the sake of creativity.

Also, it's possible that some schools switched to the color TI-84+ models.

Also about cross-compatibility I wasn't necessarily refering to big projects, but rather smaller ones. For example, Axe Parser for both the Nspire CX and 84+CE would be nice, same for C versions of Reuben Quest, for example, both of which ran on 6 MHz calculators fine.
I agree, I first started programming on my 84+ to make games but also it was super easy to make a good equation solver :P. Now I code on the Prime since it is so powerful but not too powerful that you can have crappy code and make a FPS :P
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

I faced some issues with the interpreter now, I'd like people to check them (specially the second one, as it'll impact the scriting language/functionality)

https://github.com/Eiyeron/squirrel/issues

(And now, I just had he idea of porting another version of the interpreter to the 3DS, it's not happening yet >.>)

Also, still poking @matrefeytontias to ask him to fix his loadBMP function as it blocks a programmer from using a non multiple of 8-sized bitmap. (Also I might ask help from Vogtinator to see what could fail with the first issue. Any ideas to set up DDD and firebird correctly? Or a better debugger coudl also match my needs, thanks in advance.)

matrefeytontias

• Calculators owned: TI-83+.fr, TI-Nspire CAS prototype, TI-84+ CSE, TI-Nspire CX
My TI games (some got their own article on non-calc websites !) : http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/authors/112/11202.html

My moozik (100% free metal) : http://www.soundcloud.com/matrefeytontias

matrefeytontias

Alright, fixed and tested. I pushed it to Github.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+.fr, TI-Nspire CAS prototype, TI-84+ CSE, TI-Nspire CX
My TI games (some got their own article on non-calc websites !) : http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/authors/112/11202.html

My moozik (100% free metal) : http://www.soundcloud.com/matrefeytontias

SiphonicSugar

Well! This seems to be turning out pretty well. I was too lazy to look but can you program with this on-calc?  ;)
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Ivoah

Quote from: SiphonicSugar on May 15, 2016, 09:19:34 PM
Well! This seems to be turning out pretty well. I was too lazy to look but can you program with this on-calc?  ;)
Yep, as it's a scripting language you can use any editor you want.
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

SiphonicSugar

Well, this is great, I'm looking forward to using something new on Nspire.
  • Calculators owned: TI-89, TI-84 Plus, TI-92, TI-84 Plus C SE, and TI-Nspire CAS with Touchpad
I'm just trying to grab some inspiration. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: matrefeytontias on May 15, 2016, 08:47:21 PM
Alright, fixed and tested. I pushed it to Github.
Thanks
Quote from: Ivoah on May 15, 2016, 09:30:25 PM
Quote from: SiphonicSugar on May 15, 2016, 09:19:34 PM
Yep, as it's a scripting language you can use any editor you want.
Indeed,  even though I have yet to find a good text editor for nspire (nTxt almost bricked my calc once), you can directly code on it. YOu'll have just to send yourself some pictures to the calc.

Edit : Weeell, the float issue is deeper in the code than expected, I have to discern where the system doesn't get the float. Also, the next version will get the updates of the original version, which includes a printf function to avoid print(format(meh))

Edit 2 : I have opened the gate to hell, Vog and me don't know the hell what's happening from my side. Vogtinator's builds works (and the float issue is fixed) where mine are more and more broken. 8|

Dream of Omnimaga

Ouch, good luck fixing those issues. I hope it's not related to mysterious hardware differences or something.