Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Your favorite chiptune music

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, November 26, 2014, 07:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aetios

ceci n'est pas une signature

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

• Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh wow aeTIos I heard this before and this is epic. :D

Also Eiyeron do you have mirror links for those songs? The site on which they are hosted is extremely slow. It keeps buffering for 1 minute every 5 second in the song.

EDIT Nvm, only Song #2 seems do have issues loading. My favorite that you posted is the 3rd, because despite being 8 bit, it still manages to sound very close to electro and dubstep.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Scipi

Came across this just now. It's really well done in comparison to the original!

Original:

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 19, 2014, 11:39:43 PM
EDIT Nvm, only Song #2 seems do have issues loading. My favorite that you posted is the 3rd, because despite being 8 bit, it still manages to sound very close to electro and dubstep.

Here's the soundcloud for that one: https://soundcloud.com/cooshinator/synecdoche
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

Dream of Omnimaga

Those random cat sounds O.O. Both sounds pretty nice by the way, although beating the original is very hard IMHO. Also thanks for the link to the 2nd song Eiyeron linked to. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

• Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 19, 2014, 11:39:43 PM
Oh wow aeTIos I heard this before and this is epic. :D

Also Eiyeron do you have mirror links for those songs? The site on which they are hosted is extremely slow. It keeps buffering for 1 minute every 5 second in the song.

I have them on my server, if the license is okay I could publish them on my server as a mirror.

Quote from: Scipi on December 20, 2014, 04:05:48 AM

Here's the soundcloud for that one: https://soundcloud.com/cooshinator/synecdoche

Actually the soundcliund version and the uCollective version are quite different. The SoundCloud one is the original, running at 140 bom. The uCollective is the same song, with the DMG underclocked to reach 110bpm and tweaked a little to tune it correctly. I prefer the uCollective one than the SoundCloud one. It's more gritty, less happy and have a feeling finish that is fantastic.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right I didn't realize both were different. That said I tend to like happy songs more so I guess I might like the slower version less. :P

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

After all, it's me that find sadness in a lot of songs I listen to, make your mind about it and don't mind mine! :p

Dream of Omnimaga

More awesome Chris Huelsbeck stuff :D

And now some random unrelated stuff:

Yuki

Speaking of PC88... (although those ones are PC98)

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't know much about the PC98 but seeing Ys on it looks and sounds identical to the PC88 I assume it's in the same computer family, right?

Nice by the way :D

Also talking about Ys, here's an FM version of Valestine/Ballacetine Castle theme on a MSX tracker:

Yuki

THe PC88 and the PC98 are made by the same company, NEC, but the difference is that the PC88 is based on a Z80 CPU whereas the PC98 had Intel CPUs (so it's kind of the japanese equivalent of the IBM PC). The PC98 is pretty known here for Ys and the first 5 Touhou.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah weird, because I didn't know there was Ys for the 98 then. Maybe the 98 can emulate 88 games? The version of Ys for the PC98 seems identical (even the music) to the 88.

Also does anyone know about the FM77AV? It also has a similar Ys version but the final boss song is longer.

FM77AV

PC88

Travis

I've come across so many chiptune favorites I couldn't possibly list them all. In the NES genre, the most recent gems I've found (using VRC6) are Esper Dream 2 and Madara. Neil Baldwin also made some awesome NES music, and I liked music by Alberto Gonzalez, too (who did music for GB Turok series, NES Asterix, Smurfs, etc.). Oh, and NES The Immortal (Rob Hubbard) and the Namco N106 audio games are cool. Sorry I don't have specific links/videos handy; I downloaded all of these as NSFs years ago from sources I no longer remember.

Lot of cool homebrew NSF stuff I've come across on forums and 2a03.org before it vanished, as well. I've come across a lot of great MOD tunes, too, though they're a huge PITA (I haven't found a single MOD player that plays all of them correctly, if at all).

• Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g