Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

CodeWalrus to reopen its doors

Started by Yuki, March 04, 2015, 03:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: tr1p1ea on March 04, 2015, 10:05:17 AM
I'm more than happy to support the cause ... but yes I would also like to know roughly what the site requires per month to run? And if there are any yearly discounts etc?

Also taking a leaf out of MC's book ... the site has basically fallen off the face of the earth, but its still open. Due to spambots we disabled new user registrations which probably hurt us a bit ... but its still open as a resource and stuff. I am virtually the only semi-active member but its cool.

I personally think that Codewalrus is a great place. It also gives me the motivation to work on my xLIBC BASIC RPG ... or even the Zelda demo :>.

I also love the mascot sprite, especially the eyes hehe :D.
It depends. I don't have full server access so I don't know exactly how many resources it uses. But IIRC about half of the RAM is used on a consistent basis and while disk space usage by the site is low, it adds up pretty fast with backups and other files. Our hosting plan currently runs off credits juju got from school. I still paid him anyway since those credits were not mine, though, until now. He has 5 months left of credits. Normally it costs $12 per month (although it's more like $17 for us due to the low Canadian dollar exchange rate lately) and the domain name will cost about $12 ro renew IIRC. We got 30 GB of disk space, 2 terabytes of transfer, 1 GB of RAM and a single core CPU.

Thanks for the support by the way. If you feel like donating you would probably need to ask juju, though. Otherwise you can always support the site via showing off your work and participating in interesting discussions (although I understand that in a few months you will no longer be able to do so)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Well, we can host quite a lot of stuff with half a gigabyte of RAM. But yeah, if anyone want to help feel free to contact me.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Do you need processing power or space, I have some spare.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't think it will be necessary especially that WalrusIRC seems less demanding on resources. But I guess it would depend if juju decides to add more features.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Keep it in mind : if you help me migrate the site, I'll be glad to host the site for you. (As long as it doesn't make the mumble server stutter)
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

DarkestEx

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 04, 2015, 04:46:35 PM
Otherwise you can always support the site via showing off your work and participating in interesting discussions (although I understand that in a few months you will no longer be able to do so)

Look, that is why there are not that much users. Such a site needs time to grow and it has to be stable. A "crysis" like that in the first months might just not happen!
Even now, when DJ Omnimaga told me, that the site won't die, I don't feel like writing here anymore, as it could be gone in a few months. Cemetech is way more stable and I think it is not going to die for the next 5 years. The only way to go is let it die now, or make sure it will be still here in one or two years!

If not, I'll leave. And others will follow. :(

EDIT #1: I really don't want to be rude or anything and I can understand, that problems will always appear on any project that humans start. I won't leave CodeWalrus, but I still don't fully trust it anymore though :(

EDIT #2: Don't get me wrong, I really like this site and I really don't want it to die. It has in some parts more freedom than other calulator specific ones. And your projects get more attention and more people are finding it. I really want to support this site (not financially, but by using and recommending it).

EDIT #3: Lol this is not a problem anymore. But still I get minus karma for it...
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

I'm sorry you feel this way. I can understand why you feel that way though with what happened yesterday. The issue though is not that it didn't have much users, but rather that most of the ones who joined would leave only a few weeks later, even before yesterday's post. I wish that if people were unhappy about the site that they would let us know why. That's how we can improve and avoid repeating some mistakes.

Have we done something that scared people like Art of Camelot, Mateo, AssemblyBandit, Phyxie and some others away? Was there something missing on the site that made them never come back? Has somebody said negative things about us in our back and people decided to only listen to their side of the story?

We might not get many members (maybe we could just be like Revsoft), but it helps if we know what not to do to avoid scaring people away. So thanks at least for speaking your mind (although I feel that leaving would be a very counter-productive thing to do). There are things we can do to guarantee that this site will remain open.

Snektron

People are nostalgic, if they have a place they feel at home to, like other forums, they won't easily go to a new place and start all over again.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

I am perfectly fine with that. It's more that if someone actually decides to join this site, posts a lot for three weeks, then suddenly vanish in an instant while still being active elsewhere, then it's possible that we have done something bad. Hence why it's best to know what happened so we won't repeat the same mistake. It could just be a coincidence and maybe I'm too paranoid due to past community experience, though.

Unicorn

Well I definetly won't be leaving unless I leave all other calculator related websites. An idea i have for getting more users is to maybe start up a project that people want on their calculators that is exclusively on CW. We could make a utilities ASM program for the CSE or something like that.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Dream of Omnimaga

I am thinking more of a game. We got Mana Force, SWL and Herocore, but the problem is finding motivation to work on them. Mana Force is also hybrid BASIC, which some people might not be interested much about.

Of course mentioning the site in your readme can also help.

Snektron

@Unicorn i'd love to do some CSE ASM Hacking, since it seems there are not quite as many hacks as on the normal TI84+, but unfortunately i
don't own one :(. I can set up some emu's though, i'll see what i an do. Also, i'll need to find some more resources since for instance WikiTI has about 10% of the bcalls on CSE as it has on normal :/
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

DarkestEx

@DJ Omnimaga Don't worry. I was not scared away. I had to do a lot for school and was just busy otherwise. I wasn't active on any other forum, but I answered PM's where they appeared.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah right, just making sure. The problem is my communication issues can sometimes lead to things I say being taken negatively by many people, as I explained in my Omni/Cemetech posts, or vice-versa. I even had it happen in real life O.O

Yuki

I have some project I would post here, I should probably post a topic about it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here