Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Nationstates

Started by Turiq, November 04, 2015, 09:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turiq

Oh gods, I love Nationstates so much. So I'm probably somewhat biased on the matter. But here goes anyway.

Nationstates is, in essence, a browser game involving running a nation. Every day, you'll get a set number of issues to resolve, from freedom of speech laws to space research, and even a huge, branching, multi-issue chain dealing with turmoil in Brazilistan. And you're supposed to choose from the options you're given to shape how your nation develops. The best part of this, really, is the sheer absurdness some of the proposals, or issues for that matter, display. Banning anything from automobiles to the internet, deifying your leader, and processing dead people into snacks are absolutely things that you can do. So that's pretty fun. Not to mention, choosing an option might not necessarily bring the result you expected. Allowing flag burning apparently increased the tendency for flag-burning mobs of people to turn into straight-up burning mobs of people. It's best not to question the madness.

Besides issues, there's a couple more things as well to note. Nations are grouped into regions, which essentially serve a social function. Through the regional message boards, people can talk about whatever suits them. Plus, the fact that a region's WA Delegate (more on that in a bit) often has the power to change regional settings, including kicking people out of regions, a metagame of sorts has developed, where coordinated groups of raiders try to wrest control of a region's delegacy, mildly vandalise it, and then run off. So that's a thing, I guess.
Now, the WA. In short, 's a group of nations that pretty much anyone can join, and it functions as a rough analogue to our UN. Drafting resolutions on various things, and putting them to vote. I'm not overly active in that sector, so I'm afraid my explanation pretty much stops there.

Anyways, it's fun. I personally run a couple nations, mainly for the variety. And 'cause having a cartoonishly evil dictatorship brings me much amusement. Especially when I tattoo barcodes on my citisens and spike their drinking water with drugs to keep them under control.
>.>
<.<

/ramble
  • Calculators owned: 84+SE, Nspire Cas, Nspire CX, Prizm
*blinks*

alexgt

Looks interesting, I already made a Nation:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

Turiq

Main nation! [spoiler][/spoiler]
And my two primary alts. I have a couple more, but they haven't gone in as much of a direction as I'd planned quite yet.
Egplanton and Patagoniae. They're fun places. Check out the causes of death ^~^
*blinks*

Yuki

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Sounds fun.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Turiq

@Juju
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Nearly forgot, I dug this one out of the graveyard during the hallowe'en zombie thing.
*blinks*

Araidia

It's nice to see other Nationstates players.
My nation is the Kingdom of Enguard
My region is The New Inquisition
(The Zombie Apocalypse event screwed us over because a person had puppets that had billions of zombies)
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol I should try that at one point, and lol at the Walrussia nation.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

semiprocoder

So I just started with a few nations, because I wanted to experiment with the options. I pretty much always have good civil rights and political freedom, but how do you get a good economy?? The best one I ever got was ~40/100, and the next day after selecting the issues it dropped to ~20/100.
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Turiq

Quote from: semiprocoder on November 08, 2015, 01:54:07 PM
So I just started with a few nations, because I wanted to experiment with the options. I pretty much always have good civil rights and political freedom, but how do you get a good economy?? The best one I ever got was ~40/100, and the next day after selecting the issues it dropped to ~20/100.
Difficult. Generally, the best way to go is to drive it up through issues that would help your economy. Problem is, those tend to impact negatively on over stuff, be it civil/political freedoms or one of the other factor, like the environment or whatever else. So, keeping everything up to reasonable levels is a bit of a juggling act.
*blinks*

semiprocoder

Well Whatever. I guess I will have to just play it out. For now I'm content with the 36/100 eco I have.
Anyways, here is my nation:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Btw how are you supposed to upload images properly?
  • Calculators owned: ti nspire, ti 84 plus se
My cemetech username is awesommee333.

Turiq

[spoiler]Murder, He Shouted!
LEGISLATION PENDING
The Issue

Your Chief Economic Adviser, Mr. Shylock Holmes, was found dead in your office with several stab wounds in his back early this morning. A baffled Arneholm P.D. has called in the assistance of world-renowned Lilliputian private investigator Mr. Marple to help untangle the mystery. After several hours of thorough investigation, the notoriously eccentric detective has called all the suspects to the parlour.

The Debate

"You can't possibly think it was me," states Colonel Custard, the victim's old business partner, while trying to hide a red stained shirtsleeve. "He and I were the best of friends. In fact, I was paying him under the table to give you terrible advice that would favour my company; why would I kill him? If anything, it was probably that harlot secretary of yours. I know for a fact they've been getting it on all over your desk when you leave the office. This is clearly the result of a sordid affair gone wrong; arrest that minx! And while we're at it, throw a tiny tax break in my direction. It's what he would've wanted."

"Lies, all lies!" your young secretary Miss O'Hara hisses aggressively at Col. Custard. "He was no friend of yours, or those polluting Book Publishing facilities you have set up everywhere. He was a tender soul, and our love made him a new man; yes, with such a big heart, no wonder the old man had so much blood in him! He was going to propose cutting every one of those subsidies propping up your business, and you knew it!" O'Hara turns back to face you with crocodile tears forming in her eyes. "Goddess-Queen Elro, I demand you have that greedy phony arrested, and then convert his damned factories into a series of national parks! It's what my love would've wanted."

"Silence!" shouts Detective Marple, as he stops grooming his impeccable moustache in one of your antique mirrors and walks to the centre of the room. "Mon dieu, enough with the talking of the words and the pointing of the fingers. The Great Marple hears nothing but the jibber and the jabber. The old friend, the foxy secretary; such clichés! Are any of you cold-blooded enough to have done this deed? I say, non! When you add it all up, there is really only the one solution. Only one in this room deserves to be put in the little grey cell." The elderly detective then proceeds towards your desk, and retrieves a quite exquisite candlestick from one of your drawers. "It was you, Goddess-Queen Elro! It was you who stabbed and stabbed with the stick that holds the candles until he was no more! All out of fear for your young and dashing advisor outshining you. Take him away, Chief Inspector Snickers; he disgusts me."

"Oh my Violet, this is just like the ending of 'The Maxtopian Falcon'," opines amateur filmmaker Professor Prune, who inexplicably appears from your closet. "You are being framed, Goddess-Queen Elro. It was the detective all along. He killed your adviser just so he could take the case and make headlines for putting you away for murder! You need to hold him responsible, and the rest of the Arneholm P.D. too, for that matter, for being too slow to realize his ploy!"

[/spoiler]

This issue made me so very happy. It's really a beautiful thing.
*blinks*

Dream of Omnimaga

What I wanted to create is the most satanic, dictatorial/oppressive nation, just to see how it ends up. But I am unsure what to pick. The motto would probably be "Destroy humanity" :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

alexgt

Make it like Nazi Germany DJ :P

p4nix

Or like germany today - in the 'refugee '''crisis'''' :P
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

alexgt

Quote from: p4nix on November 13, 2015, 06:00:49 PM
Or like germany today - in the 'refugee '''crisis'''' :P
But Nazi Germany had concentration camps and was directly for World Domination.

Also what is the refugee crisis (I didn't see it on American news)