You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

Color Speedrun[unity]

Previous topic - Next topic

b/PC, Mac & Vintage Computers publicado por u/semiprocoder February 21, 2017, 03:04:58 AM
Well, I decided to make another game.
It is a speedrun game, with the simple goal of reaching anything blue(with rgb of 0, 0, 255. Also opens up possibility of trolling :P)(thinking of having a level with like 1 blue pixel in the beginnning that is hard to get).
Anyways, so yeah, its that simple. Black is regular speed. White makes you go fast. Grey makes you go slow. Yellow is wall, and red kills you. The hitbox is just the center of the circle, so I am planning to have the last level have a one or two pixel gap that you have to pass through.
The levels are just png or tif images, with each color corresponding to something.
So far I have made levels 1-3, and you can see that here:

EDIT(levels 1-5. And yeah I know I am terrible):
Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:44:18 AM by semiprocoder
Inicia sesión o crea una cuenta para dejar un comentario
u/Dream of Omnimaga February 22, 2017, 12:58:10 AM
Haha I like the idea actually. Even if it looks simple it looks very fun and challenging to play :)
u/Yuki February 22, 2017, 08:08:12 AM
Nice. Any downloads yet?
u/p2 February 22, 2017, 09:56:35 AM
that game looks terribly hard O.O I love it  :thumbsup: Really nice game idea!! :)

But could you maybe add a little bit of physics to it? So the white areas dont directly add speed, but rather acceleration? so you get faster and faster on white ground, and slow down until you reach regular speed again once you touch grey ground?
That sould make it easier for the player to react in time  :thumbsup:
(given you can't stop the ball from moving at all, only steer it)
u/Dream of Omnimaga February 23, 2017, 01:28:09 AM
Actually, my idea would be to have some areas make you automatically move in a specific direction for the final levels

Also maybe power-ups such as extra lives or immunity against hazards?
u/kotu February 23, 2017, 01:52:03 AM
Quote from: p2 on February 22, 2017, 09:56:35 AM
that game looks terribly hard O.O I love it  :thumbsup: Really nice game idea!! :)

But could you maybe add a little bit of physics to it? So the white areas dont directly add speed, but rather acceleration? so you get faster and faster on white ground, and slow down until you reach regular speed again once you touch grey ground?

On the contrary, I like the purity of the game as it is.

This looks really inspired!! Unique
u/Dream of Omnimaga February 23, 2017, 02:30:34 AM
Actually, I think adding physics such as acceleration would make it much harder, because the deceleration process will make it much more difficult to control the ball when you try to stop. :P
u/semiprocoder February 24, 2017, 04:55:55 PM
Quote from: kotu on February 23, 2017, 01:52:03 AM
On the contrary, I like the purity of the game as it is.

This looks really inspired!! Unique
Thanks so much for the support!

Quote from: p2 on February 22, 2017, 09:56:35 AM

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 23, 2017, 02:30:34 AM
Actually, I think adding physics such as acceleration would make it much harder, because the deceleration process will make it much more difficult to control the ball when you try to stop. :P
Yeah that is why I decided not to do that. I have played a somewhat similar game with acceleration, and the acceleration just makes it too difficult. The game is already really hard as it is, and I have only really made 3 non tutorial levels. The reason for that is whenever I step in to make a level or something, I just end up playing the game instead. Anyways, I am not very good at level design in any case.
Anyways, for the reason that level making is going really slowly as I want to flawless my game(I only just managed to BEAT the last level, much less flawless it), here is a dropbox link to download the early game. No readme yet or anything; I will eventually add that, just not yet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysjs2495eq9r1l0/Color%20Speedrun.zip?dl=0.

And yes, the final level is a walrus(although badly modified, the basic shape is still decent).
Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 04:57:51 PM by semiprocoder
u/Dream of Omnimaga February 24, 2017, 05:19:38 PM
This is the most awesome level in the game :3=
u/p2 February 26, 2017, 06:51:45 PM
Quote from: semiprocoder on February 24, 2017, 04:55:55 PMThe reason for that is whenever I step in to make a level or something, I just end up playing the game instead.
hehe then it's a good game ;D
I can't wait for more levels tho :)
will you add special colors that accelerate u in a special direction or something like that as well? Or is it just different speed blocks? :)
u/Dream of Omnimaga February 26, 2017, 11:00:42 PM
Will there be levels where some colors alternate every two second?
u/semiprocoder March 13, 2017, 04:19:02 AM
Ok so haven't worked on this project in a while(started doing math. Haven't done any math in a while, resulting in me not even getting AIME this year. I really need to do more math). Anyways, so today I worked on the game for while and ported it over to unity. That means I can compile it for any platform!

Thus I added some buttons for phone support. You also go at half speed and invincibility lasts twice as long(since you only go at half speed) in order to compensate for the harder controls on touchscreen. I am thinking of developing this some more and then posting it on the play store. Do you think I will be able to make enough sales of this game(with better levels)(at 99 cents a pop) to make up for the $25 fee to be allowed to publish apps on the appstore?

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 26, 2017, 11:00:42 PM
Will there be levels where some colors alternate every two second?

Possibly, but no support for that right now. Could be cool to have some levels like that though, so I may very well implement that.

u/Dream of Omnimaga March 13, 2017, 09:16:45 PM
Glad to see multiplatform support and some updates. :) As for sales, I'm unsure as it's hard to tell and some games might get more purchases based on downloads. You might want to go for ad-based revenues instead.
u/semiprocoder March 17, 2017, 12:17:59 AM
Well I created the "easy" difficulty levels and some settings and a menu and stuff. While it may be easy difficulty, the levels are still pretty challenging(especially on phones, even with the speed hindering). Anyways, attached is a sample level(hopefully a friend of mine is going to make my levels look nicer). Also here are links for current builds of color speedrun. I don't recommend you play anything other than easy difficulty levels as the other levels are not finished and really are just tests/placeholders. Since your highscore still gets saved, you will have a ridiculously high high score.
windows: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-gtij90No_fWjBJNWx5MlRRX2M
mac: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-gtij90No_fTXRsSkVmckl5WTA
android: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-gtij90No_fT3FMUUlQamVMSnc
u/Dream of Omnimaga March 17, 2017, 11:26:56 AM
Woah, is that beatable? O.O I will give it a try later
Start a Discussion

b/PC, Mac & Vintage Computers

Computer programming discussion and project showcase

Topics
Explore Board
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators