Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-83+/84+][TI-82][TI-83] HoustonTracker 2 on-calc music editor

Started by utz, October 06, 2015, 01:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Quote from: Ivoah on October 08, 2015, 04:05:02 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 08, 2015, 06:26:25 AM
Also Houston Tracker 2 is that large for a reason: It has many features. :)

He said that it's so large because it saves data back into the program instead of an AppVar or something.
So we can't easily export and share songs with others in a native format?

Otherwise, I tried it, that's a pretty nice software.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

So I was messing around with this in WabbitEmu in 83+ mode and for some reasons it seems to freeze quite often. Could it be the emulator or the fact I was using OS 1.16? Also, on OS 2.53 MP on the 84+ notes takes forever to play. For example with 8 F-4 notes followed by G-2 at speed 10, what I hear is the first note, then some weird noises in the background.

EDIT: Nevermind I figured out the second problem: I need to use all 4 channels per row.

I am now curious about what would be the best drums :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

utz

@Juju: Not yet. I do however plan to release a PC-based utility which will allow you to extract and manipulate the internal savestates.

@DJ Omnimaga: Hm, as much as I would like to blame WabbitEmu, I can't rule out completely that there is a problem with OS 1.16. Quite a bit of testing has been done with OS 1.17, which appears to be stable so far. Would you be willing to give it a try in tilem2, to see if the issue persists?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82, TI-83, TI-83+, TI-85, TI-86, TI-92+, Sharp PC-1403

Dream of Omnimaga

Something to convert songs to MP3, OGG or WAV would be great. I use Audacity in Stereo Mix mode but fewer and fewer people got that option on their computers.

Also TilEm for Windows lack sound support, unlike the Linux version. I tries the latest exe a few months ago and no sound option was available.  So far it seems like I have no issue with OS 2.53MP, though, other than a few occasional freezing. I just have to savestate often.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

I tried the latest SVN on OS X and I can't find the sound option either.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

What I'm thinking is that sound support was added for Linux, but then FloppusMaximus and the other people in charge of TilEm pretty much disappeared, leaving other versions without the additions. I wonder if the Linux version could be recompiled for Windows/Mac or something?

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 10, 2015, 03:34:01 AM
I wonder if the Linux version could be recompiled for Windows/Mac or something?
That's exactly what I did.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh but you said you got the version from OS X (Mac), not Linux. ???

Yuki

I said I tried it on OS X. Actually, I think it's the same code for all three OSes anyway. If it works only on Linux, it's probably because it only works with the Linux sound system and automatically gets disabled when compiled on other OSes.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Well your two posts contradicts each others. One of your post says you used the Mac OS X version, then you suddenly say you used the Linux version. Unless you mean that the Linux and Mac versions are identical?

Yuki

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 10, 2015, 03:46:18 AM
Unless you mean that the Linux and Mac versions are identical?
That's exactly what I meant. The Linux version can be compiled on Mac without problems. Probably even on Windows too.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh ok. I guess that clears things up then. I am curious about why it still lacks sound, then. Perhaps the author said the Linux version got sound added, but finally never pushed the changes.

DarkestEx

@utz you really did a great job with the sequencer. But I really think you should make a save format. It shouldn't be hard saving the program state to a file and retrieving the data from there later.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

Dream of Omnimaga

That could be handy for people who wants to reuse the data in other softwares or people who wants to share song files easier.

Also is it possible to duplicate or clone note sequences and copy+paste one row in the sequencer? That could be handy when we got two similar sequences of notes with just one different note and the other idea for when we have multiple similar song sections.

Ivoah

• Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE