Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

My gaming setup

Started by Jokeriske, March 21, 2016, 07:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokeriske

So i thought you might be interested in my gaming setup (if not here's a pic)

My setup (old)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

My setup (new)

[spoiler][/spoiler]

The setup Ben used during our livestream.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

tr1p1ea

What kind of games do you play?

Dream of Omnimaga

Not bad. Mine is kinda old and messy, plus I only have 1 screen. But I don't game that much anymore (I mostly play Starcraft and retro style games). Otherwise I game on the Wii U and Xbox one or older consoles for the most part.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Araidia

Nice gaming setup!
I can't really have a gaming setup since I don't make any money and I can't really have a job(most jobs only accept 16 year olds due to some laws and I'm 15)
Once I make some money, I'm looking at the Razer Blade Stealth to do some light gaming(like TF2 and maybe CSGO) and be able to carry it around in school.
Whether I'll get the Razer Core though, is whether my mom will allow me to and how much it costs...
  • Calculators owned: TI84+ CE

Also Known as: Soul | Enguard

Dudeman313

I wish I were allowed to play video games! But for now, my secret gaming set up is only for two free Windows 10 games I own.
I have my own money, I'm just not allowed to spend it.
If I could work over the summer, I would, but I'm 12(and will be 13 on the 31st of this month), and I think NY State requires 14 or older.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

Jokeriske

Quote from: tr1p1ea on March 22, 2016, 02:58:40 AM
What kind of games do you play?

i play call of duty black ops 1 , 2 , 3 , battlefield 3 , 4 and fifa mainly but i have some other steam games , if you want i can post some screenshots of all my games.

Quote from: Araidia on March 22, 2016, 02:27:58 PM
Nice gaming setup!
I can't really have a gaming setup since I don't make any money and I can't really have a job(most jobs only accept 16 year olds due to some laws and I'm 15)
Once I make some money, I'm looking at the Razer Blade Stealth to do some light gaming(like TF2 and maybe CSGO) and be able to carry it around in school.
Whether I'll get the Razer Core though, is whether my mom will allow me to and how much it costs...

CSGO is a fun game but please dont ever ever buy keys and chests , they are really a waste of money , except my cousin (jeroen) once got a €150 knife

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 22, 2016, 03:22:34 PM
I wish I were allowed to play video games! But for now, my secret gaming set up is only for two free Windows 10 games I own.
If I could work over the summer, I would, but I'm 12(and will be 13 on the 31st of this month), and I think NY State requires 14 or older.
You can't even play Nintendo games? I wish parents were not still close-minded like this about games. I mean, we're not in 1992 anymore.

As for me, if I start gaming again it will most likely be Starcraft II so as long as the expansion requirements did not skyrocket compared to HotS I should be fine. And I play Minecraft.

My main issue right now is my PC tends to overheat and when I play Minecraft for a while it sometimes reboots by itself. I need to clean it up >.<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 22, 2016, 08:04:02 PM
Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 22, 2016, 03:22:34 PM
You can't even play Nintendo games? I wish parents were not still close-minded like this about games. I mean, we're not in 1992 anymore.

As for me, if I start gaming again it will most likely be Starcraft II so as long as the expansion requirements did not skyrocket compared to HotS I should be fine. And I play Minecraft.

My main issue right now is my PC tends to overheat and when I play Minecraft for a while it sometimes reboots by itself. I need to clean it up >.<
I'm not allowed to play any games at all. I wish I could play Minecraft, though. I know my computer, despite its old graphics card, can handle it because I've played the demo.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Is that video game ban in place for as long as you live at your parents home? Any reason why they disallow games entirely? Is it because they fear they will hurt your grades, because they think games are too violent or because they just hate technology and wants to force you to venture into non-technology-related carreers? I know that you are 12 and that video game violence and stuff could be a factor, since my mom was reluctant about buying me a NES even when I was 8, but still, it would suck if you were locked out of the gaming scene until you turn 18. If I was you, I would not take any chance: Save money as much as you can until you reach 18 then move out. But then university studies might be a problem since it's expensive.

Snektron

I was allowed to play video games at 12 O.O. Not that i played much, my dad runs Linux so nothing except some basic games worked and we had a timer set at 1.5h a day. I think when i turned 13 or 14 (14 iirc) i got a mini laptop. I still remember playing minecraft at max 5 fps, and running heavy Eclipse when i first
tried to make bukkit plugins. I still have it, but the HDD died :(
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dudeman313

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 22, 2016, 08:59:16 PM
Is that video game ban in place for as long as you live at your parents home? Any reason why they disallow games entirely? Is it because they fear they will hurt your grades, because they think games are too violent or because they just hate technology and wants to force you to venture into non-technology-related carreers?
Yes, I believe so, but my mom knows when I'm playing games and sometimes says nothing.
I think it's the first reason, that she thinks my grades will drop, and that I have kind of abused my technological privileges in the past...
I don't play violent games, as I'm not into that stuff. I think the most violent video game I myself played was Titan Fall without gore on a friend's Xbox.
I don't think my mom wants me to stay away from tech in the future, she's fine with me wanting to become an engineer.

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 22, 2016, 08:59:16 PM
I know that you are 12 and that video game violence and stuff could be a factor, since my mom was reluctant about buying me a NES even when I was 8, but still, it would suck if you were locked out of the gaming scene until you turn 18. If I was you, I would not take any chance: Save money as much as you can until you reach 18 then move out. But then university studies might be a problem since it's expensive.
Yeah, I think so too, but I'd want my parents to pay for college and such.
It's not so bad missing what you hardly know, but I think by then I'll have my own smartphone. :)

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on March 22, 2016, 10:36:49 PM
I was allowed to play video games at 12 O.O. Not that i played much, my dad runs Linux so nothing except some basic games worked and we had a timer set at 1.5h a day. I think when i turned 13 or 14 (14 iirc) i got a mini laptop.
I still remember playing minecraft at max 5 fps, and running heavy Eclipse when i first
tried to make bukkit plugins. I still have it, but the HDD died :(
I've always had my own laptop, since 8, but wasn't allowed to play on it until I passed 3rd grade(same year) because Poptropica "was for little kids."
I loved playing games with my sister (mostly just Cool Math Games and Kongregate stuff) but that was "outgrown" by the time I was 10, because I was in middle school(6th grade) and was therefore too old and busy for computer games.
The answer is "Sure."

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see now. The par where you abused your technology privileges in the past might not have helped. Some parents are prone to permanently banning their kids from technology after they screw up. For example, if you get caught watching adult stuff while under 18, if your grades suffered at one point or if you did some hacking. Basically the trick is to be careful and hope that eventually you'll get some gaming privileges again. In my case I could only play one hour of video games per day  (or 30 minutes when I had homework), which I thought was limited, but fine considering it was to keep my grades high and to have variety in my hobbies.

Dudeman313

I take back that last part of my previous post. My mother said she doesn't want me going into engineering with technology because I've "spoiled every technology she's given me" and that it would "be like telling an alcoholic to go work in a bar; I'd destroy myself."
The answer is "Sure."

aetios

That's odd; what does she want you to do? I don't think parents should put restrictions on a kid's career choice (as long as it's reasonable, of course). Of course they can voice their opinion, but putting restrictions goes too far imo.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's rather disrespectful of her IMHO. Once you turn 18 you have all the rights to pursue the career you want. We are not in the 1950's anymore where parents forced you to marry who they wanted you to marry and pursuing the career they wanted you to pursue.

Just save all the money you can, then once you're 18, choose the career you want (if she complains, then bring up the 1st ammendment from the United States constitution). If she kicks you out in revenge then you will at least have some money saved. You shouldn't pursue a career into something you don't like, else trust me, you won't be happy in your future life.