Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

84+CE to be locked down against 3rd-party Flash APP development or tools?

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 12, 2015, 11:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Adriweb on March 19, 2015, 04:40:11 AM
So, you guys may have missed that:

More tests, with tr1p1ea's program showing a full-screen image scrolling:

Video: http://gfycat.com/ScholarlyFeminineEeve
(it'd be nice to have a webm bbcode :D)

A full scroll takes around 4.2 seconds (with USB not plugged in), and according to Runer112, that's like ≈ 35 FPS.
Wow amazing, I didn't know his program could run on actual hardware. Does it use the screen scrolling features or does he display the entire image every frame? That is definitively very fast no matter what. O.O

Quote from: Eiyeron on March 19, 2015, 06:24:37 AM
USB does slow calcs? I've never noticed that. Howuch does it slow down the calc?
It does on the HP Prime at least.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Probably because of the interrupts. Maybe if you disable them it will run faster

Dream of Omnimaga

Wouldn't that prevent the calc from being recognized by TI-Connect afterward? In such case, ASM coders really gotta make sure that their programs successfully re-enables them on exit. That said, since the calc slows down in USB mode even during ASM programs, does it mean that we can now send files from/to the calc even when it's busy doing stuff?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

well you can always reenable interrupts after youre done, though it will block ALL interrupts and you probably don't want that

Adriweb

It runs (probably) a bit faster without interrupts, but then, you wouldn't be able to quit it with pressing a key (which is what's done right now).

Also, with USB plugged in, a full scroll takes ≈5.3s, compared to ≈4.1 seconds if it's not plugged in.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Yeah, that's a noticeable slowdown. :/ Hope that the interrupts can be shut down.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Adriweb

di and ei are still there, and running stuff without interrupts it a bit faster than with them.
But in this case, we want/need them anyway.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios

tr1p1ea

Yeah it runs on hardware and its a fullscreen manipulation (not an LCD scroll feature (this LCD doesnt have a scroll feature that im aware of (plus TI locked us out of accessing one even if it did exist))).

Also, yes he does have an Emulator, and hardware :).

I left interrupts running because of the _getCSC syscall, though it could be disabled around the screen update stuff. It's only a test afterall.

That being said, fullscreen graphics are faster than the CSE at least. Not incredibly fast, but it just *might* be fast enough with any luck.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: tr1p1ea on March 20, 2015, 05:13:32 AM
Yeah it runs on hardware and its a fullscreen manipulation (not an LCD scroll feature (this LCD doesnt have a scroll feature that im aware of (plus TI locked us out of accessing one even if it did exist))).

Also, yes he does have an Emulator, and hardware :).

I left interrupts running because of the _getCSC syscall, though it could be disabled around the screen update stuff. It's only a test afterall.

That being said, fullscreen graphics are faster than the CSE at least. Not incredibly fast, but it just *might* be fast enough with any luck.
Aah awesome :D. The screen definitively looks MUCH faster than the CSE. Even if we do lose hardware scrolling, it looks like we will no longer need it from what I saw, or at least it won't be as necessary anymore. :)

Quote from: Adriweb on March 20, 2015, 05:08:12 AM
di and ei are still there, and running stuff without interrupts it a bit faster than with them.
But in this case, we want/need them anyway.
At least you can enable/disable them, right? I am wondering because of all the stories about how locked down the hardware is.

Also it appears that the 84+CE has now been released! O.O tr1p1ea pre-ordered it from Underwood Distributing a while ago and his calc has shipped today. :D I wonder if the French model will be released soon as well?

Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

I think it's TI-Smartview, but I think it's a trial and I don't remember if it's publicly available yet. TI-Planet is affiliated with TI-France so they probably got early access.

Snektron

Ah that explains a lot, since i saw it but i was not yet available to download/buy it

Adriweb

Snektron

Or someone should write one :3 (though that probably requires some HW knowlege <_<)