Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[83+ Family] Source Seekers Redacted

Started by 123outerme, January 22, 2015, 11:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

I've decided to revisit that old 10k bytes of a "gem" I made 6 months ago, Source Seekers. To jump straight to my plans:

[spoiler=Plans]
*Fix the size
*Fix bugs/issues
*Improve graphics generally
*Rewrite story
*Add HP
*Revamp enemies
*Revisit previous levels
*Add in Village system (don't worry, there's a reason. If it doesn't really work, I'll remove it)
*Ideas:
**CSE-exclusive engine/program?
[/spoiler]

Add your own ideas if you have any!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

I would definitively like to see a remake of this. It might not have been Portal, Mario or SSBOpen but it was still quite fun to play considering when you joined Omni you were still new in programming. ASCII graphics would be fine, but you might want to take advantage of Celtic2CSE for the CSE to add colors. Maybe you could also make it a bit more RPG-ish in the way that you can go back to previous dungeons and perhaps have a village?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Hmmm Celtic 2cse would be a good addition to your game. I never played it though. :P

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 22, 2015, 11:44:40 PM
I would definitively like to see a remake of this. It might not have been Portal, Mario or SSBOpen but it was still quite fun to play considering when you joined Omni you were still new in programming. ASCII graphics would be fine, but you might want to take advantage of Celtic2CSE for the CSE to add colors. Maybe you could also make it a bit more RPG-ish in the way that you can go back to previous dungeons and perhaps have a village?
I'll probably have a village with like a "Memory Link" that can take you back to previous dungeons or replay the game at a higher difficulty, sorta like OoT(3D)'s  Boss Rush/Master Quest.
Quote from: Streetwalrus on January 23, 2015, 06:56:51 AM
Hmmm Celtic 2cse would be a good addition to your game. I never played it though. :P
I'll look in to Celtic but I might just stick to the original mentality of complete portablilty. That's why I also never used Text(-1,... and why the text was so compact on the CSE.

I also have the bare minimum for the main engine in place, I just have to start the level interpreter.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually Text(-1 works on every 83+/84+ models including the color ones ???

That said if you ise Text instead of home screen, then you don't need Celtic for colors.

Also I like the boss rush idea.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on January 24, 2015, 07:11:36 PM
Actually Text(-1 works on every 83+/84+ models including the color ones ???

That said if you ise Text instead of home screen, then you don't need Celtic for colors.

Also I like the boss rush idea.
I know, but I believe that CVSoft was working on the TI-82 port, and the first game, apart from the amount of strings it uses (which I can fix) was fully compatible. I might as well take that extra step and keep it compatible.
The Text( commands are only really used for the main menu and when you acquire an artifact. I suppose I could use the homescreen for it all, however. In fact, that way I can add more text.
Thanks! I might have a Boss Rush mode as well if I add more bosses, since only 2 bosses are present in the original version.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right, I didn't realize people still used the TI-82 O.O (it was discontinued in 2002)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Ya know, my first acalc is a model from 199X where they almover never changed the contents inside it. (Casio AFX 2.0, yeah they just added a better flash memory and a USN cable for the 2.0. New Processor? You still can dream. We still have a NEC running at a whopping 3MHz)
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait the AFX 2.0/Graph 100+ used a NEC processor?? O.O

I wonder if it's the same as in the PCEngine/Turbografx-16 console? I also wonder if the FX 1.0 Plus can run AFX 2.0 games (although in my case it would be worthless to even try because my computer won't be able to send files to it)

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

It used a Nec V30Mx. It don't know if the AFX 1.0 would run such games. I don't know the changes between them.
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually I just checked and the difference is that with the 1.0 PLUS there's no symbolic stuff and on the non-plus models there is no advanced stats. I am betting it's the same hardware as the Algebra FX 2.0 PLUS. There's no French equivalent for the FX 1.0 PLUS. Also Algebra is not part of the FX 1.0 name so I'm unsure if it should be called AFX or not.

That said, at least with Z80 TI calcs the hardware doesn't change enough to break old programs most of the time. The only bad change was the removal of extra RAM pages in 2007 in TI-84+ models. Other than that you will take a 1999 ASM program written for the TI-83+ and it will still run perfectly on a 2014 TI-84+SE.

Back to Source Seekers if you really want to add 82 support I think it should be done at the end and probably either with an option in the menu or a separate version. Since almost nobody use the TI-82 and 82 Stats/83 anymore, I am unsure if sacrificing features and graphics just to keep backwards compatiblity with a calc from 22 years ago would be worth it.

123outerme

Well, years later, I actually did it!
A reddit user (who I can name if they want, not sure if they do) asked me if I had a fix for Source Seekers, the infamous Level 4 glitch (aka stop playing, it's broken). I couldn't let this person, who had taken the time to hunt me out, be turned down empty-handed. So, I basically rewrote the entire game! All glitches are fixed, gameplay is tweaked a bit, and the version number increased!

Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/fkz3j8zwhcpzrt0/sourceseekers.zip/file