Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Metroid: 30th anniversary

Started by Yuki, August 07, 2016, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

The first Metroid was released on August 6, 1986 in Japan... yeah it's this old :P

I found this, it's a remake of Metroid 2, originally on Game Boy, looks pretty interesting: http://metroid2remake.blogspot.ca/p/am2r-downloads.html

UPDATE: As expected, Nintendo sent a DMCA takedown notice to people hosting copies of the game. So in order to download it you will have to torrent it or find alternate mirrors in Russia, China or the like
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

I still remember swearing a lot at that game. Goddamnit the Final boss room was hard, plus you had to refill your HP on every restart. I loved it, though. My favorite in the series will always remain Super Metroid, with Metroid Zero Mission not far behind.

On a side note, there are only three Metroid games for TI calculators: Metroid 83+, its sequel Metroid II: Evolution (or Metroid II: The Last Chozo Expansion Set) and Metroid 68K.

And wow I didn't know the Metroid 2 remake was finished. O.O I thought it was dead half a decade ago.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

I have the first Metroid, and I find it quite confusing. Really confusing.

And yeah, it took like 6 years to do that remake...
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

Dream of Omnimaga

To be honest I didn't find it that confusing, but maybe because there weren't that many rooms compared to some other games. But there were indeed many rooms that looked similar, often with just a different color palette.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way people should probably download this game as soon as possible and save the mirror download URLs if they can't, in case Nintendo sends a C&D to the authors and cause the site and original download link to go down.

gameblabla

Unfortunely, Nintendo has already taken it down... Two days after the release !
That was quick...
I LOOOOVE NINTENDO

Thankfully, i kept a copy of it and it's already on websites like Thepiratebay.
I uploaded it on my website, get it here.

I tried the fan-game and it is not too bad.
Shame for the awful keyboard controls though...
It is also easy to get lost. (Metroid 2 was not a great game for me)

There's one thing about the remake that chuckles me a bit...
The story is composed of 3 images, just like Opossum Massage Simulator.
They are pretty similar, just take a look.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

So while Sega celebrates Sonic's 25th birthday by doing a collab with fans, Nintendo celebrates Samus' and Zelda's 30th birthday by DMCA'ing the c out of their fans.

Sega does what Nintendont.

EDIT: With Atari 2600 homebrew Nintendo did the same thing to Princess Rescue (an Atari clone of Super Mario Bros), yet Sega has yet to take Zippy the Porcupine down: https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1052

Yuki

The Streisand Effect is always on our side, though.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

True. For the time being it looks like they're out to take down every mirror link, though. I think the best is torrents, unless they start going after seeders. But if they start doing that this will most likely make the headlines, because downloading a free to play game is legal (arguably, it's not free to play in the sense that Metroid 2: Return of Samus is still being sold for money, but the fan game is not).

gameblabla

Somewhat related : Nintendo ordered archive.org to remove online copies of all nintendo power issues.
RetroMags is concerned as well, they are really becoming agressive.

Since i can not enjoy anything Nintendo related without being DMCA'd to death,
i think i will go watch some child c instead.
At least i will not get a DMCA for that.

Thanks Nintendo for running gaming
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Dream of Omnimaga

Darn, they remind me of Gamma Ray music band as well as the owners of Dragon Ball now. The worst part is that if you post footage of Mario Kart Wii, sometimes some songs will get censored now or your video might get blocked worldwide.

If they go too far I wonder if the online gaming and homebrew community could eventually start a big revolution like in Libya, Tunisia and Egypt in 2011, but by boycotting all Nintendo products, petitioning big gaming blogs so that they stop covering Nintendo first party releases in protest and other similar things? I mean, I don't want Nintendo to die, but maybe a big protests against their cish attitude towards their fans might help? Similar boycotts helped in the past (for example, there was a boycott of Molson beer products in 1979 in response to Molson trying to block the entry of Quebec City in the National Hockey League. Molson were the owners of rival Montreal Canadiens and the boycott spread across all of Canada. It hurt beer sales and as a result, Molson caved in and changed their vote to allow Quebec in.)

The problem, though, is would Nintendo fanboys try to block such boycott? And would Xbox/PS4/PC master race people care enough to help such boycott spread?

Yuki

The United States' copyright laws are broken and the only way to fix it is to get the Congress on the case, which is unlikely to happen and if it does, the big companies will probably lobby against it. Sad, but true.
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah true. From what I saw, it seems like people can sue others or send C&D for almost no reason or in overzealous ways. It also seems that every case ends up with lawsuits in USA.

ANyway, the problem here seems to be Nintendo of America. Would Nintendo of Japan have done the same thing? It's not the first time Nintendo of America made controversial decisions. Remember back in the NES and SNES days, before ESRB ratings became a thing? They censored so much content (some of which wasn't even that bad) from North American releases that it often ruined the whole game. Heck, in Final Fantasy IV and VI (released as Final Fantasy II and III on the SNES in USA and Canada) they even renamed the Holy spell to Pearl. They removed anything that had a religious connotation or anyone that didn't have enough clothes on them. Oh and don't get me started on the SNES port of Mortal Kombat.

garvalf

A very good remake indeed.

Thank you Gameblabla! (and also to Julu for the original post)
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ fr, TI-82
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: c64, zx spectrum, atari st, sega megadrive, sega master system, nintendo NES, gameboy...