You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here. | New CodeWalrus | Old (dark mode) | Old (light) | Discord server

Keyberry Pi - A small, keyboard sized computer

b/Hardware Started by DarkestEx, December 14, 2015, 12:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

u/DarkestEx December 17, 2015, 12:18:00 AM
I returned the original keyboard and bought following items:

- USB hub (4€)

- Keyboard (20€)

- Set of one right and one left angled microUSB extension (10€ for both together)

- miniHDMI (left angled) to normal HDMI (7€)
u/c4ooo December 17, 2015, 01:02:32 AM
Well, nothings free :P
How do you plan to power the pie? It will be a bit uncomfortable having a power cord going to a keyboard :P
u/DarkestEx December 17, 2015, 01:21:43 AM
Quote from: c4ooo on December 17, 2015, 01:02:32 AM
How do you plan to power the pie? It will be a bit uncomfortable having a power cord going to a keyboard :P
It will just be powered using a micro USB power supply. I will put a micro USB jack on the outside together with a few USB ports and standard HDMI.
u/DarkestEx December 18, 2015, 02:06:33 PM
Great news!
The new keyboard has arrived and its just awesome. It feels great, it looks great and the quality is awesome.
It has a ton of free space inside and the buttons feel good.

I will not put the jacks inside of the keyboard anymore but I will bring the cables outside. It will have standard HDMI for video, 3 USB ports and micro USB for power.

This is the new USB hub (9€):
u/alexgt December 18, 2015, 02:36:31 PM
Wow nice! glad to hear this is coming along ;)
u/DarkestEx December 18, 2015, 04:47:13 PM
Quote from: alexgt on December 18, 2015, 02:36:31 PM
Wow nice! glad to hear this is coming along ;)
Yea, I am still waiting for everything to arrive. The hub and the Pi are still not there yet.
As soon as everything's there I will start building it and making the guided tutorial with photos, links and everything else that is required to build it :)
u/alexgt December 18, 2015, 09:04:59 PM
Cool, would it be a good starter project (starters as in almost no experience with RPi like me :P)
u/Dream of Omnimaga December 19, 2015, 09:43:57 AM
Hopefully you don't run out of space again this time. It would be cool if you could recreate some sort of clone of older machine. One thing I wonder, though, is if a RPi Zero requires ventilation for heat? Wouldn't putting it inside an enclosed space such as the inside of a keyboard cause overheating?
u/aetios December 19, 2015, 10:07:47 AM
Interested how this is gonna turn out :D
u/alexgt January 03, 2016, 06:45:36 AM
Are there any updates so far @DarkestEx ? I am ordering a RaPi Zero soon I think ;)
u/DarkestEx January 03, 2016, 10:14:10 AM
Quote from: alexgt on January 03, 2016, 06:45:36 AM
Are there any updates so far @DarkestEx ? I am ordering a RaPi Zero soon I think ;)
Great!
Well my Pi has not arrived yet as the online shop still does not have them in stock. But all other parts have arrived so far and work fine. I can't wait to start with the build and the tutorial :)
u/ben_g January 03, 2016, 03:19:06 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on December 19, 2015, 09:43:57 AM
Hopefully you don't run out of space again this time. It would be cool if you could recreate some sort of clone of older machine. One thing I wonder, though, is if a RPi Zero requires ventilation for heat? Wouldn't putting it inside an enclosed space such as the inside of a keyboard cause overheating?
If it is anything like the B+ or 2B, then it doesn't generate a lot of heat, especially not as long as it is not under high loads for a long time. A few small holes drilled in the plastic near the CPU to allow a bit of air circulation will probably be enough.
u/alexgt January 03, 2016, 04:07:05 PM
O.O it has taken a long time for the Pi to get there O.O
u/DarkestEx January 03, 2016, 06:48:24 PM
Well the preorder site I ordered it on 14/12/2015 says it's sold out. I'll have to see when they ship me my item.
u/alexgt January 03, 2016, 08:29:11 PM
I meant you would think they would have it in stock by now with such high demand xD
Website statistics

MyCalcs | Ticalc.org | Cemetech | Omnimaga | TI-Basic Developer | MaxCoderz | TI-Story | Casiocalc.org | Casiopeia | The Museum of HP Calculators | HPCalc.org | CnCalc.org | Music 2000 Community | TI Education | Casio Education | HP Calcs | NumWorks | SwissMicros | Sharp Calculators