Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Hero Core - Tools

Started by Keoni29, January 01, 2015, 12:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keoni29

Separate topic for development tools for Hero Core. I wanted to create my own tools because I was not happy with the existing ones.

Core Editor (short: cEdit)
Type: World editor
Platform: Win32/Linux
Source: https://github.com/keoni29/cedit
Progress: Almost done for first release

TRAXE2
Type: Music editor
Platform: TI83+
Source: https://github.com/keoni29/traxe2
Progress: Tracker screen and scrolling works.
Eiyeron is helping me with this one :D
If you like my work, why not give me an internet?

Keoni29

Tool update: Core Editor

You can now place tiles, but it's just drawing them directly to the screen buffer instead of saving them in an array. You cant save anything yet. That will be the next step.

pimathbrainiac

Sweet! I'll have to rebuild my TIMID soon to use TRAXE2.
Well, I'm bach here too!

Dream of Omnimaga

What will be nice in TRAXE is if we can hear what we type in the notes sequencing, like in Music/Music 2000, if that's not implemented already. Also nice work on the editor so far. Looking at those maps makes me smile because I like looking at big maps for old school games. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Keoni29

Yeah, I like making maps as well. Already this editor works much nicer than the editor supplied with gamemaker >_>

Keoni29

Tool update: Core Editor

It is now possible to save and load. Next thing I will be working on is moving around the world map, so you can edit all rooms.
Whenever I post a tool update I will also push my commits to github.

Dream of Omnimaga

Is the world map similar to the other maps or is it like an early Final Fantasy game world map linking every area together?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Keoni29

This is what the map screen looks like on the PC version. I want mine to be similar.

You see where you can pass trough walls (indicated by a gap.) This only shows for rooms that you visited.

Here's a miniature of one of the maps found in Hero Core for the Pc

I'd like to add a miniature preview to the editor as well, but that does not have top priority right now.

I just cleaned up some code and added scrolling. You can now edit the entire world. Next I will add commandline parameter parsing, so you can select your input and output files, specify a tileset image, world size, that sorta jazz.

Edit: Some graphical updates

Dream of Omnimaga

Ooh pretty nifty. For the mini map I hope you can manage to fit it in one calc screen. :P

Will your map tool eventually support 20x15 chunks too in case someone wants to port your game to color models?

Keoni29

It already does support that! There is no way for the user to change these parameters yet. I will be working on the command-line editor parser.

These are the settings that will be available:
Grid size
Word size
Room size
Tileset size
Tileset image
View size

Tool Update: Core Editor
I made a world miniature which will show where all the entrances to rooms are. For this I need to write an entrance-detection algoritm (fancy term for empty space checking.)
You can use it to navigate trough the world. You can drag the view across the world map using the miniature.

It's now possible to export to 8xv using the included tool: to8xv :D

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah cool to hear. :D And how is the 8xv laid out?

Keoni29

header field:
1 byte: World width
1 byte: World height
perhaps some more info will follow
data field:
in Hero Core's case 9 x 8 chunks of 88 bytes tilemap data.

aetios

Are you aiming for a 1:1 clone or are you going to create a version with different maps and stuff?
ceci n'est pas une signature

Keoni29

I will be using the same game mechanics, but a different map. I am not sure what I will be doing with the story.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Keoni29 on January 03, 2015, 12:39:39 PM
header field:
1 byte: World width
1 byte: World height
perhaps some more info will follow
data field:
in Hero Core's case 9 x 8 chunks of 88 bytes tilemap data.
Ok thanks. That would be useful if we ever decide to use the editor to make the game for a different language or calculator and if we want to convert the data.