Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

KnightOS Updates

Started by Vijfhoek, March 22, 2015, 04:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 30, 2015, 03:35:59 AM
Yeah, I meant due to the fact it keeps getting reset to factory settings, though, unless I am missing or misunderstanding something.

You're right that it's useless for keeping track of the time if you have a lot of crashes.

CKH4

You could probably add the backup clock code to the calculator off code. It'd only back up the clock when you turned it off and on the ram reset it would restore the last clock time. I don't know though because if someone were to constantly turn off and on their calc it could cause issues.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

DarkestEx

How about using different triggers to save the time. Like every 5 min or on power off, but only if more than 5 mins elapsed since the last time.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

SirCmpwn

Sorry guys, but saving the time isn't feasible. It's not happening.

DarkestEx

Why not?
The OS can back it up to a file.
But if you don't want we can't do anything though.

Knight OS is awesome.
Maybe we can make another version of the shell as I always found it one of the coolest features of it.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DarkestEx on March 30, 2015, 02:02:56 PM
Why not?
The OS can back it up to a file.
But if you don't want we can't do anything though.

Writing files can't be done that frequently. The minimum amount of space a file will take up is 256 bytes (for a 4 byte number that's a bit much) and eventually you have to garbage collect. There would be a lot of Flash erasures involved which would wear out your Flash chip and lead to a bricked calculator in a few years of use.

Quote from: DarkestEx on March 30, 2015, 02:02:56 PM
Knight OS is awesome.
Maybe we can make another version of the shell as I always found it one of the coolest features of it.

Are you talking about the app launcher or the old and deprecated command line shell? You can replace the former with your own version very easily, KnightOS is made to be customizable like that. It's as simple as installing a new one and changing the /bin/launcher symlink.

pimathbrainiac

* pimathbrainiac mutters something about KOS being open source

Seriously, if you can do it, contribute! I'm sure if it were feasible and someone made a pull request with that modification, it could happen.

EDIT: ninja'd by sir
Well, I'm bach here too!

DarkestEx

@pimathbrainiac: do you mean me?
Well, I know a lot of C, but only a little Z80-ASM.
Maybe I can still help one day somehow?

@SirCmpwn: I am talking about the shell.
Can we (the users) make another new version of it as it is soo cool :)

pimathbrainiac

I mean in general. Although Sir pretty much proved that your feature request can't be done just now.
Well, I'm bach here too!

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DarkestEx on March 30, 2015, 02:06:54 PM
@pimathbrainiac: do you mean me?
Well, I know a lot of C, but only a little Z80-ASM.
Maybe I can still help one day somehow?

You can write a new shell in C if you like. C support is still experimental but it's getting to the point where it's workable. Of course, if you just want to contribute to KnightOS, there are loads of KnightOS projects in C that run on PCs which you could definitely help with.

Quote from: DarkestEx on March 30, 2015, 02:06:54 PM
@SirCmpwn: I am talking about the shell.
Can we (the users) make another new version of it as it is soo cool :)

I don't understand. Do you mean the command line shell? That was removed because we don't have standard I/O or unix pipes yet.

CKH4

I think that he may mean port it to regular tios.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

SirCmpwn

Quote from: CKH4 on March 30, 2015, 02:14:14 PM
I think that he may mean port it to regular tios.

That would be very difficult. It depends on a lot of KnightOS specific features like configlib and reading from files in /var/castle/ and KnightOS threads and spawning model.

Edit: the code for the castle is here if anyone wants to give it a shot: https://github.com/KnightOS/castle

DarkestEx

Quote from: SirCmpwn on March 30, 2015, 02:12:06 PM
You can write a new shell in C if you like. C support is still experimental but it's getting to the point where it's workable. Of course, if you just want to contribute to KnightOS, there are loads of KnightOS projects in C that run on PCs which you could definitely help with.
Okay. I will see where I can help.

I don't understand. Do you mean the command line shell? That was removed because we don't have standard I/O or unix pipes yet.
Oh, when will there be Unix pipes and POSIX?

SirCmpwn

Quote from: DarkestEx on March 30, 2015, 02:16:42 PM
Oh, when will there be Unix pipes and POSIX?

There will probably never be POSIX support. There will be Unix-like pipes sometime after kernel 1.0.0 (i.e. in a very long time).

novenary

POSIX compliance isn't planned, the goal is to implement the general concept but not to make a full blown unix. That'd be overly complex and it's not needed anyway.

Woops another ninja.