Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Internet no longer exists

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 05, 2015, 06:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I actually considered making CW logo SVG before, but I wasn't sure if every modern browser supported that file format.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

Pretty much every browser supports it actually. Wikipedia uses it a lot.There's one context where you should avoid it though : mobile. SVG is much heavier on the CPU than regular images because it needs to render it, when images only need to be decompressed. If it's properly implemented it should use hardware acceleration though in which case it's just fine.

c4ooo

hmm... although i don't really care about logo changes, i find it sad to see the iconic "g" go away :( Now it uses sans serif, which i find ugly :(

Dream of Omnimaga

I don't mind it personally, other than the G. But it's definitively weird to no longer see the original Google logo after that many years.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

calcplays

I think the new (almost 2 months old) Google logo is fine. Serifs seem a bit wrong for internet logos at this point. I also like the new "Big G" favicon. It sort of resembles Simon.

Dream of Omnimaga

I wouldn't be surprised if at one point they made the icon look closer to Google Chrome logo to promote their browser. :P

Yuki

Serif is classy and all, Google's logo was pretty fine before, but of course when you want to rejuvenate a brand that's getting old, a good way is to remove the serif.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here