Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Firebird - New TI-Nspire emulator

Started by Vogtinator, June 05, 2015, 01:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

Whoa this is awesome, if I start using the Nspire again I will definitely keep this in mind O.O.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

TheMachine02

Indeed, this emu look really cool. Good job here  :D

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, does this new emu fix the connectivity issues found in the original? In the original, it often would only let me send stuff to brand new folders and it would often take multiple tries before my program finally sends.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Vogtinator

I heavily modified that part to add the file browser stuff and a queue, which should fix most issues, but there may be some breakages,
however, I haven't found anything like that (yet).
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspie CX CAS, Casio FX-85ES

Dream of Omnimaga

Cool to hear.  Can we drag and drop files like we could do in WabbitEmu and TI-Nspire Student Softweird?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Vogtinator

Yep, but not yet into the file explorer. You can drop files on the screen, the destination directory for drops can be changed in Settings->File transfer.

Dream of Omnimaga

alexgt

Man I wish the Nspire wasn't locked down like the HP Prime then I would use it more <_< But there are not many people that can mod the HP Prime that have one (if any) so that is probably the reason why :-|

Lionel Debroux

Like the TI community, the HP community contains a number of good programmers and tinkerers. But they seem to stick to the older models, e.g. the 50g, whose potential hasn't been fully tapped.
Member of the TI-Chess Team.
Co-maintainer of GCC4TI (GCC4TI online documentation), TIEmu and TILP.
Co-admin of TI-Planet.

alexgt

Yeah, the Prime has a lot of potential for awesome stuff...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: alexgt on June 09, 2015, 08:25:43 PM
Yeah, the Prime has a lot of potential for awesome stuff...
The thing is that on the HP Prime, to make shells/kernels/program launchers (yes, I am serious. Even Doors CSE 8.2 and PreOS would be possible in HP PPL), 3D graphers and high-end games, you don't even need ASM/C. Since HP PPL is so fast and powerful compared to its TI-Nspire Lua counterpart, that is probably another reason why not many people are interested in hacking the Prime.

On the TI-Nspire, with Lua you can do far less and what you can do will run much slower, so Ndless is seen as even more needed.

And of course HP market share is incredibly tiny, so I bet there are about 100 times fewer HP Prime owners than there are TI-Nspire owners.

Vogtinator

QuoteOn the TI-Nspire, with Lua you can do far less and what you can do will run much slower, so Ndless is seen as even more needed.
Before 3.0 there wasn't even lua so you couldn't program at all (TI-Basic is a joke).

QuoteAnd of course HP market share is incredibly tiny, so I bet there are about 100 times fewer HP Prime owners than there are TI-Nspire owners.
Yep. If I had a Prime I'd definitely code the hell out of it...

</offtopic>

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I still remember the days where only BASIC was available. But even with Lua, try to achieve this in OS 4.0, for example:

Back in the days, I doubt anyone currently in the TI community would even have bothered making an emulator for the TI-Nspire if only BASIC was possible, and even with Lua, I am betting that it would still not have happened, because emulators for calcs are often made so that developers can debug their softwares easier.

Anyway, I'M glad that the Nspire got so much support despite all actions from TI in the last few years and that the emulator is still updated. Hopefully it eventually becomes on-par with WabbitEmu in terms of features, while still remaining open-source.

That reminds me, would a Nexus 5 be enough to use New TI-Nspire emulator?

Vogtinator

QuoteThat reminds me, would a Nexus 5 be enough to use New TI-Nspire emulator?
It runs on a tablet (dell streak 7, 384 MB RAM, 1 GHz) at a usable speed (see also the video), but not fast enough for games.
As a nexus 5 is about 2.5 times faster, it's probably much better, just try it.
The smaller screen is a more limiting factor, although it might work in landscape orientation.
Both speed and a better mobile UI are being worked on ATM.

novenary