Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Raspberry Pi 2

Started by novenary, February 02, 2015, 10:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Oldiges

Quote from: Keoni29 on February 02, 2015, 01:32:07 PM
I hope they ever make a pi with a sata interface, cause SD cards are incredibly slow.

I wouldn't call 10MB/s U/D slow personally.

Quote from: Juju on February 03, 2015, 02:06:46 AM
I tried once with a friend's Pi, this is possible, you just have to plug a screen, keyboard and mouse in and there you go. But that would be pretty slow, due to the SD card.
I use mine as a remote desktop to Purdue's network.  With decent network speed, I love it!

Unfortunately I just got a B+ for Christmas.  Oh well, I'm still happy :)

aetios

Quote from: James Oldiges on February 03, 2015, 06:36:35 AM
Quote from: Keoni29 on February 02, 2015, 01:32:07 PM
I hope they ever make a pi with a sata interface, cause SD cards are incredibly slow.

I wouldn't call 10MB/s U/D slow personally.
My USB3.0 external HDD gets to more than ten times this speed, though. USB flash is also something like 100mb/s ud. So yea, in comparison SD is incredibly slow.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Snektron

okay now hook up a PI 2 to your ti 84 with usb to boost it's performance
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

I got USB 2.0 only so my fastest external HDD is about 40 MB/sec while the slowest is 20 MB/sec. That's when not copying stuff to both simultaneously, though, in which case it won't ever get above 40 MB/sec total.

Also lol I think RPi guys will have a lot of work on their plate because even their site is slow now, due to all the traffic from people rushing to get the Raspberry Pi 2. I am willing to bet that unless they are many people creating RPi boards that it will take a few months to get one shipped to you.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

I remember when they first came out, it took half a year for shipping.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

That is nice. I guess they figured that people who get the Pi will most likely get a more powerful platform at one point, on which Windows 10 is paid ;). But for now I still need to buy the Raspberry Pi 2 anyway, which doesn't appear to be available on the official site.

I wonder if any Canadian site sells it? Or any American site that ships to Canada? Because I don't want to buy from European/Australian resellers who will charge 50% higher than their North American counterpart. <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

So I got one of those the other day, it's /much/ faster than the original model but it still suffer from the lack of hardware acceleration. This means that browsers are slower than on a phone, and even running vim in the framebuffer with syntax coloring is sluggish. <_<

I couldn't get snes9x to run (maybe it was just that it didn't like Earthbound), xbmc/kodi runs wonderfully tho. But yeah, still not usable as a general purpose computer.

Dream of Omnimaga

Sorry to hear about lack of hardware acceleration. I would have thought that it got some considering that the HP Prime does and is a calculator. ???

I personally might just go with the CHIP computer since it's much cheaper.

novenary

Well it has a very nice GPU (same as the first pi) but there's still no driver for the GUI to use it. I settled with using a framebuffer console to run vim and do Nspire dev in that.

Dream of Omnimaga

Wait, is it powerful enough to run the Nspire emulators? I always felt it was very tedious to develop for a calc that lacks an emulator or requires me to send the files non-stop to my calc.

novenary

No, the emulator uses x86 ask so it's not very portable. But I automated the sending process, I just need to press a key to compile and send to the calc.

Dream of Omnimaga

Aah that's good then. I wish that jsTIfied actually supported that feature in Chrome/Opera for Z80 development (it doesn't work for some reasons).

Snektron

That would make developement with the IO port way easier <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I meant that jsTIfied can let you send your entire project from SourceCoder to the emulator, not the calc. But that feature doesn't work properly in those browsers. It would be nice if it also supported sending to the calc directly I guess, although I think it might be best if it didn't require extra drivers in addition to the ones from TiLP and TI-Connect CE.

DarkestEx

The new Windows 10 IoT is not what you might think it is. It has no real builtin programs except for the bare OS things and no desktop and no explorer.
It has some sort of wired SSH or Telnet server and you can download apps to it. But it makes GUI development a bit easier than on Linux. It might be worth trying it out, but in my opinion Linux is in many fields the better OS for the Pi. Although for beginners and in speical cases the Windows 10 IoT might be quite nice.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+, Casio 101-S, RPN-Calc, Hewlett-Packard 100LX, Hewlett-Packard 95LX
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Original Commodore 64C, C64 DTV, Nintendo GameBoy Color, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2