Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Golvellius: Valley of Doom! (TI-84+CE)

Started by JamesV, February 09, 2017, 09:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesV

Back in 2001 I started my attempt at cloning the Sega Master System game, Golvellius, over to the TI-86. Two demo versions were released, but ultimately I was unsuccessful, due to the approximate 10K executable code limit on the TI-86. As well as featuring top-down overworld much like older Zelda games, the dungeons also vary between horizontal scrolling platform style and vertical scrolling dodge/stab-'em style, along with 8 bosses.

After that I made two further attempts at completing a TI-86 RPG in the vein of Golvellius by stripping back to a standard top-down RPG, which eventually resulted in Banchor being released in 2006.

However, the TI-84+CE is the perfect TI platform for Golvellius, and so I've started working on it. You can watch a longplay of the original SMS game .

Below is the start of a single map screen with the hero, Kelesis, walking around and stabbing with his sword.

The full game will comprise of 182 maps in the overworld, 9 dungeons, 8 bosses, approximately 25 enemies, sword/shield/defense upgrades, life potions and lots of gold collecting!

Dream of Omnimaga

I remember this project and was sad back in 2002 to see it seemed to have died. I am glad you're resurrecting it :). Also I knew there was a SMS Zelda style game out there but I had forgotten what the name was. I was unaware until now that your project was originally based on that game as  a result. :)

Keep up the good work, because this looks very good so far. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

tr1p1ea

Wow long time between drinks for this one! The speed is awesome though!
Is this in ASM or C?

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 09, 2017, 10:27:29 PM
I remember this project and was sad back in 2002 to see it seemed to have died. I am glad you're resurrecting it :). Also I knew there was a SMS Zelda style game out there but I had forgotten what the name was. I was unaware until now that your project was originally based on that game as  a result. :)

Keep up the good work, because this looks very good so far. :)
I was bummed that I couldn't get it to work either. Ironically, perhaps with some more experience under my belt now, I might be able to get it working on the TI-86 by doing a bunch of executable code swapping, etc. but the TI-86 scene is long gone. Besides, it will look much nicer in its proper resolution and colour on the 84+CE :)

Quote from: tr1p1ea on February 09, 2017, 10:45:36 PM
Wow long time between drinks for this one! The speed is awesome though!
Is this in ASM or C?
It's in ASM. The speed is not too hard to achieve thankfully, due to the background tiles not needing any clipping or transparency. It's only the player and other sprites that will take more time to render. Hopefully it still runs at a decent speed once everything is on screen; I'm confident it will. If it does occasionally lag for a couple of frames when there is tonnes on screen, well at least I can console myself with the fact that the SMS version occasionally lagged as well :P

Dream of Omnimaga

To be honest, I bet you could maybe get it to work on the 86 now, but yeah it would be more limited. Has there been any attempt at finding exploits to circumvent the 10 KB limit? I remember this is what killed the MLC 86 project.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JamesV

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on February 10, 2017, 04:32:32 AM
To be honest, I bet you could maybe get it to work on the 86 now, but yeah it would be more limited. Has there been any attempt at finding exploits to circumvent the 10 KB limit? I remember this is what killed the MLC 86 project.
I'm not sure actually - to be honest, I can't even remember the exact reason for the 10KB limit, whether it was a forced non-executable code thing like the 83+, or whether it was a memory mapping/limited address space lssue. I think it was the latter.

A few different tiles have been added in (including a solid tile), and I've started on scrolling between maps, as well as adding a fade out/fade in routine which will be used to transition into dungeons, etc.

JamesV

I haven't had a lot of time this week, but I've finished off map scrolling in all 4 directions and started on enemy basics (no collisions yet).

Dream of Omnimaga

Wow this looks smooth and that fade-in/scrolling animation is awesome. Gotta love those old-school graphics as well :)

p2

aww I love those snakes :love:

Also great to see another realyl nice game being made :D
looks like we'll soon have more good games for the CE than for the 84+ D:
  • Calculators owned: ti-83+, ti-84+, ti-84+, ti-84+se, ti-84+se(te), ti-nsphire, ti-nsphire CAS, ti-nsphire CX-CAS, ti-voyage, ti-voyage, Who reads this list anyways...?
Anyway war sucks. Just bring us your food instead of missiles  :P ~ DJ Omnimaga (11.10.2016 20:21:48)
if you cant get a jframe set up, draw stuff to it, and receive input, i can only imagine how horrible your game code is _._   ~ c4ooo (14.11.2016 22:44:07)
If they pull a Harambe on me tell my family I love them ~ u/Pwntear37d (AssangeWatch /r/)
make Walrii great again ~ DJ Omnimaga (28.11.2016 23:01:31)
God invented the pc, satan the smartphone I guess ~ p4nix (16.02.2017 22:51:49)

xMarminq_

Nice work! Keep the progress up, can't wait to see what gets added next  :thumbsup:
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

kotu

• Calculators owned: TI 84+CE-T
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Sega Master System, Sony PlayStation 3
SUBSCRIBE TO THE FUTURERAVE.UK MAILING LIST
http://futurerave.uk

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: p2 on February 18, 2017, 02:31:24 PM
aww I love those snakes :love:

Also great to see another realyl nice game being made :D
looks like we'll soon have more good games for the CE than for the 84+ D:
Lol I doubt it since the 84+ dominated for far much longer, but at least it's much easier to find the good stuff on the CE. I remember when there were 100 guessing games in the root Basic folder O.O

JamesV

Thanks for all the positive feedback! :)

There are many people/creatures that Kelesis will encounter on his adventure (located in caves underground), including a fairy named Rio. She can give useful information, but sometimes isn't much help at all :P

Dream of Omnimaga

That cutscene looks nice. Have you managed to work on this lately by the way @JamesV ? :)