Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

A new Casio PRIZM calculator: The fx-CG50

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, January 14, 2017, 03:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Casio has recently announced that a new Casio PRIZM calculator, under the fx-CG50 model number, will be released this Spring. Amidst speculation from community members that this calculator will ditch support for third-party ASM and C development (which was unnoficial to begin with on the fx-CG10/20, but Casio left the door open on those calculators, while locking it down on the fx-CP400) and that the BASIC language will not see any significant speed improvements, here are some of the announced improvements:

-New case design, more rectangular than round
-3D graphing with many features, including zooming and rotating
-Improved catalog so that users can use commands more easily

It is unknown if the CPU will be the same as the PRIZM or if it will be upgraded to the one used in the ClassPad II, which is twice faster.  The memory capacities and whether the 2.5mm jack remains or not are also still unknown. The MSRP will be around $100 USD and many features from those calculators, such as picture plotting (graphing lines over a real life photo) will return in the new calculator. Let's hope that the door will still be open for third-party add-in development and that the BASIC language speed during drawing will be improved (for example, the 58 MHz fx-CG10/20 took 300 milliseconds to draw a pixel or horizontal line, while the 15 MHz TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition took about 10).

Source: Casio (via TI-Planet)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Adriweb

What about the "more squared" design:

(Photoshop troll, yep :P)

(rehosted on imgur just in case)
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Yuki

Ooooh, interesting. Wonder if it will be as interesting as the fx-CG10.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

critor

Petite précision : niveau "source via", une mention plus exacte serait plutôt TI-Planet et non Cemetech :
https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19471&p=211619#p211619

Après avoir publié cet article, j'ai prévenu en privé cfxm qui m'a répondu et a ensuite annoncé sur Cemetech où je ne poste pas, ainsi que sur Casiopeia.
Pour ma part, dans le même temps je me suis chargé de l'annonce sur Planete Casio, ainsi que du message privé à l'attention de l'administration Planete Casio.

Une simple vérification des horaires après correction du décalage horaire le confirmera.

Il n'est pas du tout dans la politique de Cemetech de créditer correctement ses sources, ce que je déplore d'ailleurs fortement.
Il faut donc toujours rester très méfiant quand on trouve une info sur ce site, tant que sa politique ne changera pas.

Dream of Omnimaga

Merci de la précision. Je n'avais pas remarqué que j'étais déconnecté sur TI-Planet donc l'heure était GMT+1 sur la news et j'ai donc cru que l'info venait de TeamFX. C'est maintenant corrigé. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

critor

Oh thank you very much for such a prompt edit, DJ Omnimaga. :)

Adriweb

This was a troll photoshop image I made, if you hadn't noticed (and a made up release date, although who knows...)

Here's a real image from a german press release (http://www.casio-schulrechner.de/de/presse/detail/2414/) that amazonka found.

HD:
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I figured this might have been fake due to how it looked like the PRIZM's original design on a CE. It looked kinda cool but I hoped that the curved keys would be gone.

I like the actual design you just posted now, but not as much as the CE. This reminds me the ClassPad II. Also on Cemetech there are many screenshots posted and what scares me are the new menu icons, which look identical to the ClassPad II. I definitively think that add-in support is gone and that we'll be stuck with TI-BASIC until someone finds a way to hack the calc (hoping it can be done on a software level and without third-party hardware, unlike the Casio CFX-9850 series.)

critor

First pictures of a real fx-CG50 are now online :
https://tiplanet.org/forum/gallery/album.php?album_id=504

It's the sample available at the Casio Europe stand in Didacta-Stuttgart (Germany).

Real add-in support seems to have been kept, seeing the .g3a file sizes in the storage memory.

Please share before tomorrow the tests you'd like to be performed (provided they can be performed in public - dismantling or linking to your own calculator is probably not ok).

Dream of Omnimaga

If you have access to the calculator, then I am curious about how the BASIC drawing commands compare to their fx-CG20 counterparts (a non-overclocked fx-CG20, that is) :)

critor

Do you have a sample drawing program ?
I have no fx-CG20 by hand.

There is one on the stand, but I'd like to avoid monopolizing 2 calculators at the same time. :P

Yuki

Maybe a simple program that counts from 1 to 1000, easy to write. Compare each calc one after the other with timer in hand. Maybe also a set-pixel loop too, would work.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

critor

Anybody with an fx-CG10 or fx-CG20 ?

Could you check how much time is needed for the following program to complete, please ?
1→N
2→U
While U≥0.0001
   (NU+1)/(2(N+1))→U
   N+1→N
End
N

I think it should take less than a minute.

I should then be able to tell you about the fx-CG50 cpu and performances. :)

gbl08ma

@critor, I hope it's not too late and that you'll see this in time.

I understand that transferring files to/from the calculator is out of the scope of possible things.

I'd like to know if add-in languages (like Russian on the fx-CG 20) are still supported, but without a preloaded g3l I guess we have no way of knowing without transferring files. Can you at least tell us the list of built-in languages and respective versions (shown in the Version screen of the System app)?

Besides BASIC speed which can be useful for guessing the CPU speed, the only other thing I can think of that could be tested (given that you already entered the diagnostic mode) is checking if the Test Mode still exists / can be entered with the following key combination:
Press [OPTN]+[EXP]+[AC/ON]
Quickly type 5963
(I think this has to be done starting with the calc in standby state)

If yes, I'd love to see a picture of it - even if just to confirm it's the same as on the fx-CG 20.

Oh and another thing: in eActivity, when editing a document, does the STRIP option still appear on the function key menu, and does opening it show strips for all built-in apps and also Geometry, Pict Plot (and maybe 3D graphing?), etc.?

Finally, could you maybe ask someone where the Probability Sim add-in went and whether it will be making a come back? (maybe someone already deleted it from the demo calc, heh heh)
  • Calculators owned: Prizm CG-20

critor

Here's about the built-in languages :

Speed seems to be significantly better than on the fx-CG20 (+45% to +65%).

But although the fx-CG50 is faster, like the fx-CG20 and fx-CP400 its Basic interpreter is still abnormally slow compared to other models.