Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Sprite Ripper: An utility to convert graphics to grosged's hybrid-BASIC format

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 05, 2016, 08:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

Those who want to program in TI-84 Plus CE BASIC language with the help of ASM/C libraries to enhance the language will now be happy: A few months after @grosged released Sprites v3.3 library, which lets you use 36-color sprites, text and rectangles of any size in your games with very decent speed, Ricsan from TI-Planet has now released an utility for the PC to help you convert your sprite sheets into Sprites v3.3 format!

Until now, you had to use SourceCoder or another image to hexadecimal converter in order to convert each of your sprites one by one, then manually edit the hexadecimal using find/replace for when you wanted to use a different color palette. While this was feasible, it was tedious, especially considering there was no bulk sprite conversion available. It seems like this problem might now at least be partially solved, with Ricsan's utility, which supports bulk sprite conversion! Before using it, you still need to convert your image file into 36 colors, so if you are not tech-savy about what image editor can achieve that, then you might still be out of luck, but it should hopefully speed up development considerably.

Currently, there are four games that use Sprites v3.3: Wal-Rush! CE, Desert Bus II, GalagACE and SokoMario. The library supports scaled sprites, but they take more RAM since they are stored in their scaled form rather than scaled each time you draw them.

Download: https://tiplanet.org/forum/archives_voir.php?id=659602
Source: https://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18974
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

Not trying to make any criticism, but are there any stats as to how many people use grosged's lib? No ill feelings, just curious :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Mostly French people, because the author hasn't uploaded it to ticalc.org and a lot of people are waiting for Doors CE 9 release. But since it seems like the latter is not gonna come out anytime soon, I don't think it's a good idea to wait before DCE9 release before starting using ASM libs again. I personally find the lib easier to use than xLIBC because the sprite command only requires three arguments, but the downside is that it uses the Asm(prgmNAME) command instead of real() so the launch speed is slower (although chained sprites/rectangles solves part of that issue)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

c4ooo

The reason i asked is if there is a high enough demand, and grosged allows it, i can modify the lib to make it use real() instead of Asm() ;)
If you remember, i was making my own lib, but progress kind of halted becouse the basic parser would not allow me to do what i wanted. I could still resume my lib, but i would have to have some hacky setup.

Dream of Omnimaga

You would need to ask him. But I am fairly sure that people would like it if this happened. It would definitively help, providing you can figure out how to implement the text routine input.

Dream of Omnimaga