Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[calcs] Having win7 and win10 on the same PC ???

Started by alexgt, July 20, 2015, 12:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexgt

I have no idea how to do it but I want to keep windows 7 when windows 10 comes out but still have windows 10 on my PC, so I would choose between win7 and 10 when my PC boots. How would I do that?
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

allynfolksjr

Why would you do this? It may be worth considering the reasons and then deciding to stick with one OS or another rather than wrangling with booting multiple OSes.

If you need it for compatibility reasons, a VM may be a better choice.

Yuki

It's doable, you'd have to install Windows twice on 2 partitions and Windows' bootmgr would do the job, but as Nikky said, I'm not sure why you would do that other than compatibility reasons.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Unicorn

Yeah, use a VM like virtualbox to simulate windows ten to check it out.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Well I say this because my sister (@chelsey_dagger) did this for our old computer, it had winXP and linux mint and when you booted the computer up you could choose the OS you wanted (linux for my mom and windows for me)

I want to do this because I don't want to have any compatibility issues as you said, also a VM would be slower instead of having it installed right (sorry my knowledge is limited about this :P)

Unicorn

Quote from: alexgt on July 20, 2015, 01:55:59 PM
Well I say this because my sister (@chelsey_dagger) did this for our old computer, it had winXP and linux mint and when you booted the computer up you could choose the OS you wanted (linux for my mom and windows for me)
Your mom uses Linux? O.O
I want to do this because I don't want to have any compatibility issues as you said, also a VM would be slower instead of having it installed right (sorry my knowledge is limited about this :P)
True, a VM would be a bit slower, depending on how much RAM and storage you give it, and how many CPU's you give it.
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

My mom used to but she has no prefrence now she uses win7 and mostly here tablet :P

Also I want to run Minecraft win10 https://mojang.com/

Unicorn

Quote from: alexgt on July 20, 2015, 03:30:26 PM
My mom used to but she has no prefrence now she uses win7 and mostly here tablet :P

Also I want to run Minecraft win10 https://mojang.com/
Welll, if you own a reg version, you get it. I should actually talk to my friend about getting his account so I don't have to share with another.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Yeah I already have an account so I can get it for free but I don't think a VM will handle it

Unicorn

Quote from: alexgt on July 20, 2015, 04:00:27 PM
Yeah I already have an account so I can get it for free but I don't think a VM will handle it
Probably not, but I expect W10 will work pretty well for a while when it comes out.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

Yeah I think I will just download it to a thumb drive and save it for later :P

Unicorn

Quote from: alexgt on July 20, 2015, 04:03:40 PM
Yeah I think I will just download it to a thumb drive and save it for later :P
I might do that as well, or just use W10 regularly with W8 on a VM.

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

I will see if my sister knows what to do :)

Unicorn

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

alexgt

She lives kinda close so it might work for her to come over so I don't break my PC :P