Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

DJ, Juju and Patrick Davidson meet irl

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, July 16, 2016, 02:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

I am serious *.*

EDIT: Now that I am back home to write a longer post, for those of you who were not around in the TI scene for long enough, he's the guy who has the highest amount of downloads on ticalc.org and made Phoenix, Galaxian, Orznuid and Pac-Man 99 for the TI-8x series, and we enjoyed talking with him and touring some parts of Quebec City. Oh and yes he had his TI-85 :)

Edit by p2: Just turned the "Dj Juju" into "DJ, Juju" ^^
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Patrick Davidson

You left out the most important attendee ... my TI-85!

Yuki

Ayyy

Well, that was fun. Hope to see you again, Patrick. And your TI-85.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh right lol, but of course it was captured in the pictures I took :P . All it missed was the plushie walrus that never comes and my TI-84 Plus CE, but I thought it would rain so I brought a dollar store raincoat in my pocket instead of a calculators.

Anyway that was fun and I hope you like Quebec City so far :)

Also the weird part is that all of us three weared blue t-shirts, which was quite fitting considering it's the color of Quebec flag :P

Also good thing we left McDonald's early because apparently some guy beat his girlfriend in his car when Juju passed by again later and other people on the street tried to block the car so he won't escape. That was quite wild apparently (fortunately very rare here, though). O.O
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

Yeah, brought nothing interesting either. Although your blue shirt was darker than ours, DJ.

Yeah, glad nothing terrible happened while I went back home, it just slightly blocked traffic
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah true about my shirt lol. Imagine if I had worn my Captain America or Nordiques Nation t-shirt O.O

novenary

Pics or it didn't happen. :P
Nice to know you guys had fun at least.

Dream of Omnimaga

I have two pics that ended up being kinda blurry so I guess if @Patrick Davidson doesn't mind it being posted in the members picture thread I will put it there. Which reminds me, a staff should give him access to the safe-haven board.

I was also with him again this afternoon, doing some ghost hunting in the lower end of the city, walking on top of the fortifications near D'Youville Square and wandering around taking pictures and stuff.

Oh and yes we often talked about calculators, especially the TI-85, TI-82 ROM 19.006, Calcuzap, some past community events, the fact we're two of the only community members left from his era, etc. :)

JamesV

That's cool that you guys got to meet up! I was lucky enough to first meet Patrick back in 2006, and then just a few months ago he was here as well.

I'm happy to say that this time around, we were successful in finding some kangaroos :)

There aren't many of us left from pre-2000 days, but real life tends to take over eventually, especially for those with families, etc. It's hard to believe that in 2018 it will be 20 years since I got my TI-83, started messing about with programming on it and found the online community. I guess time flies when you're having fun!

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah, most people stick around until they turn 18 years old, which is around when they move to college or get a full time job and move out of their parents home. I'm happy that some of us are the exception to that rule, though. Hopefully one day I have more money to travel around too :)

And yeah he told me he met you but I didn't know you met twice, especially not in 2006.

Which reminds me, when I made this topic I forgot that I also made another related topic before, so I guess maybe it should be merged with https://codewalr.us/index.php?topic=1413.0 :P

JamesV

Well if you ever happen to find yourself near Melbourne, Australia, be sure to let me know! :P

Dream of Omnimaga

of course! Hopefully I could meet tr1p1ea as well if that ever happens. Or maybe if you get back into some music band that decides to tour all of North America rather than just USA then I could see you play live as well. I wish I had the chance to see Belle Haven live D:

JamesV

Certainly, I hope to return to the USA one day, and Canada as well. I did visit Canada briefly back in 2005, but only Montreal and only for 4-5 days. On a slightly related note, one of my skydiving buddies is from Toronto!

Whilst I wouldn't be there, you might still get the chance to see Belle Haven - the band is still going, just with another drummer now :) There are no plans made in the immediate future, but they are intending to return to North America again when they can afford it.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I think I recall you visiting MTL during a discussion with you on IRC in #tcpa back then. I remember you said you found April mornings to be very cold. I would say that pretty much all day long is cold too XD (although sometimes we do get decent weather that month). I didn't remember if it was during a band tour or something, though. Also yeah I never skydived before. That must be an interesting experience for sure. O.O

And I see about Belle Haven. Do they usually announce concerts on sites like Bandsintown or Songkick?

JamesV

That sounds right, it was April / May 2005 that I was travelling. Montreal reminded me a lot of Melbourne, just with a lot of French influence! It's a really nice city.

Most of the Belle Haven stuff is announced on Facebook these days.