Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Staff, Elite Coder and affiliation updates

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, March 24, 2016, 05:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

In the last two months, there have been some staff, Elite Coder and affiliation changes on CodeWalrus, but not much time to write a news about them. Some just happened now, but others are a long overdue, news-wise, so here they are:

-Although this actually happened over a month ago, we are pleased to have @aeTIos back in the CodeWalrus staff group. He had to step down in March 2015 because he no longer had the time to contribute, but since then, the staff requirements changed and he has gotten more free time. We look forward for his contributions in the near future!

-One month ago, @123outerme joined the CodeWalrus Elite Coder group and this time, we are pleased to add @JWinslow23 as well! Both of them have contributed several calculator programs that have only increased in quality over time. The most recent project by 123 is Sorcery of Uvutu, the first xLIBC RPG for the TI-84 Plus CSE (and soon the CE), and JWinslow23 have just released This is the Only Level. We are pleased to have them in the team. On a less positive note, we are sad to see @matrefeytontias and @DarkestEx go from their respective Elite Coders position due to no longer meeting EC criteria, but once they are ensured to meet them again in long terms, they will always have a spot open in the group. Others are free to apply as well, if they meet criteria and think they can meet them in long terms as well (an average of at least 5 forum posts at any given moment, an active project of a certain quality level and following CW rules, especially the first two)

-And finally, we are now affiliates with Velocity Games. See the bottom of each page or the portal side bar for the 88x31 button link.

-Also, the [youtube] tag is deprecated, so we encourage members to just post Youtube URLs in HTTPS format in order to embed videos in posts. The reason why that tag stopped working is because it only supports HTTP links, not HTTPS, and now that CW uses SSL, browsers automatically blocks embedded HTTP content. We haven't removed nor updated the tag yet because our SMF install is broken on the package manager side (many packages shows as "Uninstalled" even though they're not), so until we find time to re-install SMF and our many packages one by one, that will have to do.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

123outerme

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 24, 2016, 05:59:08 PM
In the last two months, there have been some staff, Elite Coder and affiliation changes on CodeWalrus, but not much time to write a news about them. Some just happened now, but others are a long overdue, news-wise, so here they are:

-Although this actually happened over a month ago, we are pleased to have @aeTIos back in the CodeWalrus staff group.

-One month ago, @123outerme joined the CodeWalrus Elite Coder group and this time, we are pleased to add @JWinslow23 as well!
Welcome back aeTIos, and welcome JWins!
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

JWinslow23

I hope to be able to release many more quality programs during my time as Elite Coder. Thank you so much for the opportunity. :)

On a side note, how many digits of τ can YOU calculate? I'm at 779 on my CE ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

The Pi stuff would be a nice topic to make on the forums, by the way, instead of keeping it all for IRC. :P

Also yeah hopefully you have time to make new programs, calc or not :). Do you plan to do more Atari stuff, by the way?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

I'll do something somehow someplace.

The τ/2 program will be released in its current form as soon as it's calculated as much as it can calculate. I wanna test its limits, there's 150KB of RAM on the CE versus 24KB on the monochrome calc I tested it on.

Oh, and I'm testing it with τ. Because π is wrong. ;)

Dream of Omnimaga

I wonder how long does it take to calculate. Does it require keeping the calculator connected for battery life reasons? :P

Dudeman313

Quote from: JWinslow23 on March 24, 2016, 07:41:17 PM
I'll do something somehow someplace.

The τ/2 program will be released in its current form as soon as it's calculated as much as it can calculate. I wanna test its limits, there's 150KB of RAM on the CE versus 24KB on the monochrome calc I tested it on.

Oh, and I'm testing it with τ. Because π is wrong. ;)
I agree! :D
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 24, 2016, 08:30:55 PM
I wonder how long does it take to calculate. Does it require keeping the calculator connected for battery life reasons? :P
I've been calculating for about 16 hours straight now and it's not dead yet! :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Lol ok. I sure hope that their slow BASIC intepreter doesn't drain batteries too fast. <_<

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 24, 2016, 10:23:08 PM
Lol ok. I sure hope that their slow BASIC intepreter doesn't drain batteries too fast. <_<
It actually still looks like a full meter. And I've calculated 919 digits so far.

EDIT: Oops, never mind, the battery depleted entirely moments after I said that. <_<

Snektron

• Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on March 24, 2016, 10:50:05 PM
Congrats @JWinslow23 ;) you've earned it :3
What about @123outerme ? O.O

Just kidding, I was very late on the news article <_< (even moreso about @aeTIos )

Also, aeTIos and juju still have no :walrii: associated to them
Quote from: JWinslow23 on March 24, 2016, 10:38:08 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 24, 2016, 10:23:08 PM
It actually still looks like a full meter. And I've calculated 919 digits so far.

EDIT: Oops, never mind, the battery depleted entirely moments after I said that. <_<
When the calc is busy, it usually tries to run as long as it can even when the battery is low. But as soon as the calc goes into a mode that allows you to turn it OFF, if the battery is below a certain level the calculator shuts off, from experience.

aetios

DJ I posted about my promotion a few days after though.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

Dudeman313

I didn't see the Velocity affiliate update in here...?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."