Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How to throw money at walruses

Started by Yuki, March 18, 2015, 12:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuki

Hey, it's me, Juju, four favourite admin in charge of funding. As you probably know, this site runs on a low budget (basically, we pay for hosting, the domain name and eventual contest prizes, it's not that expensive) and there's quite a few people who were asking me how they can help to keep the site alive. So, figures I'd make a post on how to do so.

One way to throw money at us, I mean, donate is the Subscriptions feature of SMF. Go in Profile > Actions > Paid Subscriptions and you will find a number of tiers you can subscribe to at various prices per month or per year. Currently, the prices goes from $0.50/month to $4/month (it's the same per year, but multiplied by 12, obviously). A PayPal account is required. If you have any problems, such as SMF eating up all your money, anything not showing up, you don't have PayPal or you want to donate a different amount, feel free to contact me by sending a PM or an email at juju@<the domain name of this website>.

What you get in exchange, you might ask? Basically, the satisfaction your favourite website will continue existing for a little longer while giving out fancier prizes for its contests. Oh, and a little badge in your profile saying "CodeWalrus Supporter" just so you can show it off. We don't really have any intention to give out any "premium" features, your experience should be the same for everyone.

Also, if you want some nice hosting for your website, DigitalOcean, the hosting we currently use, gives you a $10 credit for a VPS of your choice by clicking on this link. Once you spend $25 there, we'll get a $25 credit! Of course, you'll have to know some Linux basics, so it's not for the faint of heart. Another way would be probably selling some t-shirts and mugs of your favourite mascot, we can set this up once enough people would seriously be interested.

Anyway, we have one such contest coming soon, stay tuned!
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Snektron

Walrii shirts? Hell yeah :D
Also i still got some euri's on my paypal which i dont use.
:3= :3= :3=
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually another trick can be to donate via my music page, but it's not guaranteed that all money will go to the site, so if you want to donate for the site directly Juju's instructions should be the best. My music is free since March 15th but you can still do like Humble Bundle and pay what you want.

As for merchandise that would be another idea, although finding the best online customizable t-shirt store would be another story.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Yuki

I think of RedBubble, it's what my friends use.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

Dream of Omnimaga

Btw have you set Paypal micropayment on the site's paypal account? Because the fees for small transactions are way lower with it.

https://bandcamp.com/help/selling#fee

Otherwise if people choose the $0.50 donation thing most of their donations will end up covering Paypal fees.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Oh, I could ask for some artists to throw a high def Walrii for merchandizing products!
  • Calculators owned: A lot.

Dream of Omnimaga

Maybe if someone knows how to make Walrii plushies in bulk? :P

But ideally a merch store should just be something like Redbubble or Cafepress where they create and ship everything for us, so we don't have to take care of that hassle. For example, if I wanted to create my own CD's, if I factor in the printer ink, the special CDs, album jacket packages and pockets, that's probably $5 per CD so I would have needed to charge $10 plus shipping and I doubt many people would have wanted to spend $25-35 total including shipping when they can get Iron Maiden albums and the like for $10-12 at brick and mortar stores.

Unicorn

Contest? T-shirts? Coffee Mugs? OOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

Actually I think I'm going to donate yearly, it's easier to me to gather a pack of money for that.

Snektron

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 18, 2015, 12:25:20 PM
Maybe if someone knows how to make Walrii plushies in bulk? :P
I need one :walrii:

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

One would be fun to have, eyup. Maybe Siapran could knit some for us!

Snektron

Duke "Tape" Eiyeron

A friend that some of us also know. A strange one, he is.

Snektron

novenary