Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Walriimon [PC][Godot]

Started by Scipi, January 21, 2016, 02:46:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipi

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 04, 2016, 08:35:29 AM
Can you import them into one large pic, but BLIT that pic to only show the Walrii you need? That's what I do on the HP Prime with any graphics I use, otherwise it would take too long to import 150+ sprites one by one.

It's possible to do that, yeah, but unfortunately not all Walrii are the same size, so I'd have to custom set each one anyways. Plus I have to do things like descriptions, encounter rates, movesets, and stats for each anyways, so importing each sprite isn't a whole lot of overhead, relatively speaking.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, Nspire, Nspire CX, Casio Prizm

p4nix

Will you have your own file format for your pokemons? Then you could even put the filenames for your sprites in there...
Together with a nice little self-written tool, you could edit that stuff quite fast. Also, memory isn't expensive on PC anyway, and looping through your files 'one-dimensional' is easier than picking 'two-dimensional' from a sprite sheet - especially with different sizes of your walriimons :P

Just my thoughts, but I bet you have long thought of this better than me.
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dudeman313

Quote from: p4nix on March 04, 2016, 08:01:00 PM
Will you have your own file format for your pokemons? Then you could even put the filenames for your sprites in there...
Together with a nice little self-written tool, you could edit that stuff quite fast. Also, memory isn't expensive on PC anyway, and looping through your files 'one-dimensional' is easier than picking 'two-dimensional' from a sprite sheet - especially with different sizes of your walriimons :P

Just my thoughts, but I bet you have long thought of this better than me.
What would the format be? .WMS(walriimon sprite)?
  • Calculators owned: TI-84 PCE
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Android O Phone
Does this qualify as a signature? 
The answer is "Sure."

p4nix

That's up to your imaginaaatioooon. It would be more like a Walriimon Data File though.

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Scipi on March 04, 2016, 04:56:13 PM
Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 04, 2016, 08:35:29 AM
Can you import them into one large pic, but BLIT that pic to only show the Walrii you need? That's what I do on the HP Prime with any graphics I use, otherwise it would take too long to import 150+ sprites one by one.

It's possible to do that, yeah, but unfortunately not all Walrii are the same size, so I'd have to custom set each one anyways. Plus I have to do things like descriptions, encounter rates, movesets, and stats for each anyways, so importing each sprite isn't a whole lot of overhead, relatively speaking.
Can't you just specify the size in the Walrii data, though? That's what I would do for an HP Prime Pokéwalrus game, since BLIT allows using sprites of any size (including scaling them)
Quote from: p4nix on March 04, 2016, 01:51:21 PM
offtopic sidenote:
@DJ Omnimaga indexing your sprite files (headerless of course) saves RAM :P
What do you mean by indexing sprite files? I don't think this feature is available on the HP Prime.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 07, 2016, 06:02:34 AM
What do you mean by indexing sprite files? I don't think this feature is available on the HP Prime.
I don't have a HP Prime. But if you have like a folder SPRITES on your calculator, you could name the images in it img000, img001, img002 and so on. It will also allow you to load them quickly in the program.

Dream of Omnimaga

The HP Prime lacks folder support for external files :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dudeman313

@Scipi ,how's this project so far? And does it have graphic card dependencies? I have a Windows 10 computer that was formerly Vista, and I still have OpenGL 1.1.
Will I be able to play this when it's complete?
The answer is "Sure."

Scipi

Quote from: Dudeman313 on March 21, 2016, 01:46:53 PM
@Scipi ,how's this project so far? And does it have graphic card dependencies? I have a Windows 10 computer that was formerly Vista, and I still have OpenGL 1.1.
Will I be able to play this when it's complete?

It's a bit slow going atm, since I'm working on another project to better learn Godot before continuing, but it's certainly not dead or even on hold.

I'm not sure if Godot's 2D API is completely independent of it's 3D engine, but the minimum requirement as far as I can tell is OpenGL 2.1.

Dream of Omnimaga

Strange that 2D API's would have such high requirements, especially considering the SNES capabilities.

By the way, you should post about your other project if it's another program you plan to release :)

Scipi

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on March 22, 2016, 05:13:00 AM
Strange that 2D API's would have such high requirements, especially considering the SNES capabilities.

By the way, you should post about your other project if it's another program you plan to release :)

I'll be revealing the other project along with a Kickstarter campaign once I have enough done to show. For now it's under wraps, though. ;)

Godot's 2D engine supports things like 2D lighting, normal mapping, particle effects, etc. With all that stuff, it may need a high OpenGL version. And actually, most 2D engines nowadays are really 3D engines with the an orthographic camera aligned to one of the axes. Not sure if Godot does that though.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I see. And yeah I wish they still sometimes did 2D engines that are lightweight for the purpose of making it easier to port games to old school hardware or stuff like that. Anyway, good luck @Scipi and I can't wait for more progress on Walriimon and your other games :)

Dudeman313

Yeah, progress is always a good thing. :)
The answer is "Sure."

jaqualon2