Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

3DS dilemma, need advice

Started by Hayleia, October 25, 2015, 05:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayleia

So, for quite some time now, I've been using pirating tools on my 3DS XL, but pirating nothing. I basically only use those tools for homebrews and other openness-related things that have nothing to do with piracy. You may think this is stupid, and yes it is, especially considering that this tool is really convenient to use for pirates, but really (read: REALLY) annoying to use for people like me. That's why I considered switching to a new hack that is now out and stable, and that suits my needs a lot better (a lot less pirate oriented but I don't care, and a lot (read: A LOT) more convenient to use).

The problem is that due to Nintendo trying to stop pirates, if I switch to that less pirate-oriented hack, I can't use any savegame I have got now, due to encryption incompatibilities. Yes, you read right, by trying to stop pirates, they also prevent people from leaving the pirates they never liked.

So my choice here is :
1) Keep using that stupid first hack even though I know that I can use something that is a lot better (and that actually works, I tried it)
2) Use the new one but lose my MH4U savegame (and other games' savegames too but I only care about my 500 hours on MH4U)

And actually, the real problem about MH4U isn't really farming items. It's really easy nowadays to get anything you want without even farming. So basically I could just do that...
But that's not the spirit. I'd like to keep my 500 hours or start over and play 500 hours then be able to say "I got my armors by farming them and I deserve them" instead of saying "well, I had armors I deserved but due to not being a pirate, I had to use hacks to get them back, flawless logic".

So, what would you do in my stead ?
Or alternatively, do you know if I can somehow get cartridges savegames using 4.X encryption to work on something that's expecting the newest encryption (whatever it is) ?

gameblabla

Just delete your 500+ hours save :D
MH4U is no longer worth playing anyways because :
- The developers behind the game are copyright nazis and have a hatred for poor pirates who just want to have fun.
- Killing a thing in this game takes so long, i would rather waste my time with politics than this game.
- It's not free software, Richard Stallman does not approve this game so should you.

With this in mind, you will have no trouble to delete your save and switch to rxtools.

Or, if this doesn't work :
Record yourself deleting your save and FAP to it.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

Hayleia

Well, not really. I mean, just look at what Smash became (stupid gameplay where no one never dies, paid DLCs, paid Amiibos) then look at what Monster Hunter still is (cooperation, skill-based, free DLCs).

Anyway that's not really helpful. Otherwise, the solution "kill yourself and you'll have no problems anymore" works too, and for everyone moreover...

novenary

Quote from: gameblabla on October 25, 2015, 05:50:45 PM
- The developers behind the game are copyright nazis and have a hatred for poor pirates who just want to have fun.
Copyright is legitimate. Actual money is spent making these games, and while I definitely agree that they are overpriced, piracy prevents people from eating. :trollface:

- Killing a thing in this game takes so long, i would rather waste my time with politics than this game.
Can't argue over that, I don't own the console nor the game and I've never had a chance to try it.

- It's not free software, Richard Stallman does not approve this game so should you.
That guy is an idealist hermit who thinks the world of the Care Bears will come true someday.

Record yourself deleting your save and FAP to it.
Hayleia is not that  kind of person (well I hope, are you hiding things from us Hayleia ? D:). I perfectly understand him not wanting to delete his save, especially if he has 500 hours over recorded playtime.

Anyway about your problem, how did Nintendo handle the transition to the new encryption scheme ? There must be a way to convert the save through official means.

gameblabla

LET THE s***STORM BEGIN (i hope i don't get banned though)

QuoteCopyright is legitimate. Actual money is spent making these games, and while I definitely agree that they are overpriced, piracy prevents people from eating. :trollface:
What happen though if i give a basic income to everyone ?
Developers would have enough money to eat and have a house and make their games for free because they like that
and gamers would be able to play their games for free.
Where your argument is going now ?

QuoteThat guy is an idealist hermit who thinks the world of the Care Bears will come true someday.
Well no offense but if it wasn't for him and the GNU project then Linux would be proprietary & Ndless apps would not be even a thing because
no free software compilers would be available and proprietary devs would refuse to target their compiles just for a small thing.
Linus said that the switch to the GPLv2 was inspired by the compiler, GCC, he was using, and Stallman made the first version of GCC.
Imagine a world where Linux would be proprietary and a world with no homebrew games to old platforms.

Anyways, getting back on topic.
With all seriousness, there are no real solutions to your problem.
I suggest you just to wait for someone else to write a tool to convert your saves,
you must not be alone in this situation afterall.
  • Calculators owned: None (used to own an Nspire and TI-89)

123outerme

Uh... You honestly sound like a troll right now lol
Quote from: gameblabla on October 25, 2015, 06:22:27 PM
LET THE s***STORM BEGIN (i hope i don't get banned though)

QuoteCopyright is legitimate. Actual money is spent making these games, and while I definitely agree that they are overpriced, piracy prevents people from eating. :trollface:
What happen though if i give a basic income to everyone ?
Developers would have enough money to eat and have a house and make their games for free because they like that
and gamers would be able to play their games for free.
Where your argument is going now ?
So communism? And where is this basic pay coming from? They're not getting money in, so they can't put money out.
QuoteThat guy is an idealist hermit who thinks the world of the Care Bears will come true someday.
Well no offense but if it wasn't for him and the GNU project then Linux would be proprietary & Ndless apps would not be even a thing because
no free software compilers would be available and proprietary devs would refuse to target their compiles just for a small thing.
Linus said that the switch to the GPLv2 was inspired by the compiler, GCC, he was using, and Stallman made the first version of GCC.
Imagine a world where Linux would be proprietary and a world with no homebrew games to old platforms.
I've got nothing for these politics, I don't even know who this is.
Anyways, getting back on topic.
With all seriousness, there are no real solutions to your problem.
I suggest you just to wait for someone else to write a tool to convert your saves,
you must not be alone in this situation afterall.
Yeah, I would do that too, honestly.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

novenary

-How would you give a basic income to everyone ? By going to communism ? I think that economic model has done enough damage for anyone in their right mind to keep anyone from wanting any of it in 2015 (except for those who are still deeply rooted into it). Making games then selling them with a profit is the way these people have decided to make a living, and that's perfectly legitimate in a capitalist society.
-I definitely agree that Stallman has done a lot of good, but his time is over and it's up to other people to keep the open source world healthy (which it is). A world without anything proprietary would be the exact same thing as communism. It's harmful.

This kind of debate is perfectly fine on CodeWalrus as long as arguments are given in a civil manner. Please create a new thread if you want to continue though, we've drifted far enough off topic already. As 123outerme pointed out (and I would have too but I wanted to wait and see where you were going first), your first reply is considered trolling.

Hayleia

I think I'll start over actually. Because :
-rxTools's convenience seems to be worth some sacrifice
-I think that my new savegame will have more compatibility for transferring to other systems (like my New 3DS that I never use)
-I don't have anything left to do in MH4U now that I am over HR 300
-I already partly lost my savegame it seems, I had to get back to an old backup I made and I'm only HR296 with 487 hours of playtime -.-
-nope, there is no tool and there won't be I guess, since not a lot of people have problems with encryption.

I have no idea how it worked when that new encryption came out for the first time however. Because it's impossible that everyone lost their savegames, there must have been some transition somewhere.

But wth are you talking about now ? :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I wouls recommend splitting the politics discussion into its own topic for the sake of on-topicness. :P
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Hayleia

Lol, I've been doing some progress into getting rxTools to work very conveniently and guess what... my Pokemon X save is back from the dead :P
I lost it like one year ago and now it works, at least on my sysNAND :P

So yeah, I may have lost a symbolic savegame (game I played most) but I got another one back (first game on my 3DS, and most impossible save to recover according to the internet :P).

edit Other good news: the new MH4U savegame (is empty :'() also works on my New 3DS even though the old one (with 500 hours :'() didn't :D
And it works with svdt too :D
So yeah, in fact, the mistake I made (not exactly all my fault but whatever) was more to play 500 hours on a savegame that would be incompatible with everything even though I could have played them otherwise.

Dream of Omnimaga

Any idea why you got troubles with save files like this? Wouldn't you be better off with no hack? That's unless you use pirated games,in which case we can't help on the forums since they're illegal.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

novenary

He said he wants to use homebrew, not pirated games, and that's why he's migrating to a newer, more stable hack that doesn't allow piracy but works better with homebrew.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah I misread his first post it seems earlier. At one point I thought he was saying he didn't want to pirate before but that he would like to start doing so more :P

I hope he can find something that suits his needs. 3DS hacking is fairly recent, if I recall correctly.

Hayleia

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on October 26, 2015, 12:17:21 AM
Any idea why you got troubles with save files like this? Wouldn't you be better off with no hack? That's unless you use pirated games,in which case we can't help on the forums since they're illegal.
Seems like my 3DS's sysNAND was on 4.5 so even though my emuNAND was on 10.1, with the Gateway, savegames used the old < 6.X encryption. But rxMode seemed to only care about the emuNAND and use the newer encryption. So that's why I said it was not really my fault since when I installed 4.5, there was no better solution actually. Now there is, you can install a lot of convenient exploits on 9.0-9.2, but one year ago, the only exploits available were almost just a door to allow you to go back to 4.5 :P

And no, I don't use pirated games. I'd like to have to a job in the video game industry (and I know I won't) so I won't plunder it before getting there, it doesn't make any sense :P

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah that explains things then. As for pirated games, nobody will know if you used them, unless companies break into your home then monitors your 3DS content. But I recommend supporting the developers and doing things legally :P