Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Ideas to improve CodeWalrus, short term 2015

Started by Dream of Omnimaga, September 15, 2015, 07:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

So I am creating this thread to see if any of our current members have ideas that could improve CodeWalrus. What we are looking at are ideas that will keep people interested in contributing or even bring new members. Basically, we want you to tell us how much we have screwed up. :P Think of it as a mini-survey, but in the near future I might actually do multiple surveys that are actually more elaborate, like the one @happybobjr did a few years ago on Omni. I also want to make a demographics survey at some point.

1) Is the site missing something and is there something you don't like about it?
2) What convinced you to join CodeWalrus?
3) What makes you stick around and post?
4) Any suggestions?

Ideally, if it involves new additions, then it should not be restricted to just calculators and remember we cannot run too many contests either. All opinions welcome, negative included in case there are some things that we could improve.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

aetios

I think that at least the subforum for DarkestEx' project should give us some traffic, so we should get that up and running soon ish
ceci n'est pas une signature

Dream of Omnimaga

There is actually one :P , but as more different discussions starts we will need to create more sub-forums like at https://www.omnimaga.org/otcalc/ (remember that?)

But yeah, basically if we are doing something wrong (even moderation or staff-specific behavior, including myself) that makes people reluctant about contributing or if people think the site lacks specific kinds of promotion, then that is stuff we would like to know, even if we might not necessarily be able to fix 100% of the things. People tend to not talk when they have issues with something. I am giving them the incentive to do it. :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Unicorn

Well, everything seems great to me, aside from the fact that there is more drama than I am used to, but I guess thats a given.

Maybe we could have little contests that don't have rewards?
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Quote from: Unicorn on September 19, 2015, 07:10:43 AM

Could be cool, but i reckon that'd get boring after a while.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

Hayleia

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on September 19, 2015, 11:11:34 AM

Well, just avoid making one per week :P

But yeah, I agree about little contests. Maybe (idea kind of like the TI Concours) make a long contest consisting of short runs (but not too shorts either) and at the end, the one with the most points wins ? For example, I don't know, 10 little contests per year lasting one month each and at the end, there's one winner. And if you want to give prizes, you made 10 contests with only one prize :P

aetios

We can improve CW immensely (I think) by drastically shifting our focus from TI calc oriented to general stuff oriented. Eg, electronics projects, pc projects, etc. That would attract more people I guess.
ceci n'est pas une signature

Ivoah

Quote from: Hayleia on September 19, 2015, 02:32:34 PM
Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on September 19, 2015, 11:11:34 AM

Well, just avoid making one per week :P

But yeah, I agree about little contests. Maybe (idea kind of like the TI Concours) make a long contest consisting of short runs (but not too shorts either) and at the end, the one with the most points wins ? For example, I don't know, 10 little contests per year lasting one month each and at the end, there's one winner. And if you want to give prizes, you made 10 contests with only one prize :P

I really like this idea! +1
  • Calculators owned: TI-86 (now broken), TI SR-56, TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-84+ SE, TI-84+ SE, TI-85, TI-73 Explorer VS, ViewScreen, TI-84+ CSE, TI-83+ SE

novenary

Yeah it's a pretty good idea indeed. Also aeTIos we're already pretty open to things not related to calcs, it's just that there's less interest in it over here. :P

Yuki

Ah yeah, that idea is pretty cool. I myself considered making small events and giving points for them.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+ (dead?), Casio Prizm (also dead???)
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: A lot
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

if you wanna throw money at me and/or CodeWalrus monthly it's here

c4ooo

Well code golf on omnimaga was sort of like that. (@JWinslow cross posted a challenge or two iirc). People eventually lost interest in it though. It could always be re-rebooted, however :P

Yuki

Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN
In the beginning there was walrii. In the end there will be walrii. All hail our supreme leader :walrii: --Snektron

novenary

Thing is, every time code golf gets rebooted it eventually dies out because it gets boring quick. We'd need some more interesting and diverse contests and make sure that it doesn't pull people away from their other projects.

Yuki

Yeah, I'm planning something so it won't be boring and too hard after a few contests. It has incentives!
Read Zarmina!
YUKI-CHAAAANNNN

Dream of Omnimaga

I think it would need to be either something else than Code Golf or at least a challenge that involves more interesting programs, such as games or optimizing a small game. The were just so many Code Golf contests that eventually people got bored of them, even last year when Omni had 50 posts a day.

I was more considering a contest like the 4x3 challenge we had a few months ago or something like cage matches. And like 4x3 contest, it would not be reserved for calcs. We should also avoid contests that drags on during half a year, like TI-Concours 2014 and 2015, as well as doing mini-contests every month, because that prevents any possible progress on larger-scale projects.

Quote from: aeTIos on September 19, 2015, 02:34:11 PM
We can improve CW immensely (I think) by drastically shifting our focus from TI calc oriented to general stuff oriented. Eg, electronics projects, pc projects, etc. That would attract more people I guess.
Yeah, this is why there are non-calc games in the news articles pending queue right now. They haven't been posted yet because I just posted a program feature news a few days ago. This is also why we have so many non-calc sub-forums compared to calc ones. CodeWalrus was built with the possibility of branching out from calcs in mind. However, we will most likely stick to our focus on retro gaming and pixel art for the most part.