Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Pokemon [fx9860]

Started by p4nix, June 15, 2015, 06:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p4nix

Pokemon for fx9860
So, I started with Pokemon a while ago. I'm now willing to do some further work to get it finally done and to make CW a more useful place (for me :3 ).

Plot
Just like in any pokemon, you will start in a small town and get your first pokemon. It will be designed for an endless gameplay, that means trainers can attack you again and some other things will be changed as well. That means that I'll not be required to write a sequel... :D

Engine
Tiles will be 16x16.

Most files will be loaded from the flash memory. That means that they're exchangeable. However I'm unsure if I can make it completely modable, since I don't have an idea for the event system yet.

These are the datatypes:
*.CHR for the character images
*.MAP for the tilemap
*.TIL for the tiles of the tilemap
*.CLI list of all character per map with their different settings
*.POK all pokemons
*.BOX pokemons in your boxes
*.SAV your exchangeable save game.

Art

• Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

CKH4

Nice! Every device needs a pokemon game in my opinion. Nintendo shouldn't care because there are tons of pokemon fan games already. Will this be a battle simulator or a full rpg? Maybe you should have community made pokemon too but that shouldn't be done until after you have the engine and stuff down.
  • Calculators owned: TI-83+, TI-84+

p4nix

RPG with it's own unique story. I like talking to ppl and to be in my own adventure. I also want to have
trading, because that's what makes pokemon special.

CKH4

Sounds great. I cant wait for this to get into development.

Dream of Omnimaga

This would be nice to have a finished Pokemon for the 9860G. Keep in mind that such game requires a long commitment, development-wise, so it's a good idea to start with a shorter story and maybe 30-40 Pokemons max, like @Hayleia game.

Or a spinoff with just :walrii:
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

A wild :walrii: appears!
Hm... xD

Dream of Omnimaga

Actually, there is a walrus Pokémon IIRC. You could add an easter egg that replaces him with Walrii. :P

What size do you plan to use for your sprites, by the way?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

CKH4

3 walrus pokemon I believe it may be 2 but it may be more because I haven't kept up with the newer pokemon versions.

Dream of Omnimaga

Oh I didn't know that. I guess maybe his game could include them all and focus on sea animals or stuff like that. Who knows? Maybe it could be a game with just three Pokemons that you can carry and they would be the walruses.

CKH4

Lol if I ever make a (fake) pokemon game I'll do that. I think he's going for a more pokemon feel but his name contains walrus so who knows.

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's what I think. But as I said, if he's new to calculator programming and especially game programming, it's always good to start with small projects to avoid getting overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work required for a large one, and Pokémon is usually not the best project to start with, unless it's stripped down heavily (eg having much fewer Pokémons and a custom, shorter story)

CKH4

It should be fine if he understands that writing tools can be helpful he should be fine but if he tries to hand code all the complex stuffs like sprites and stuff.

Unicorn

Awesome! Hopefully it doesn't become to much for you O.O Good luck!
  • Calculators owned: I own all of them: PICKACHUP TI 84+ CSE TI 83+ SE TI something something ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: PICKACHUP ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Snektron

Cool idea! i hope you can finish it :)
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

p4nix

Every Asset/Stuff will be load from ROM. Anything else would blast the RAM.
This is why the menu points of the editor are:  TILEMAKER, MAPMAKER, CHAR(acter)MAKER, POKEMAKER.

Tiles in the RPG will definitely be 16x16, altough you can only see 8x4 tiles on the 128x64 screen of the calc.
In contrast to the original Pokemon's of the old days, the character will be centered (half tiles on each side).