Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

[TI-84+CE] Oiram CE

Started by MateoConLechuga, September 10, 2016, 07:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dream of Omnimaga

By the way, do you think it would be hard to add control options in the game like SNES Mario All Stars and maybe also a feature allow people to map both special and dashing to the same key? A lot of people were used to using 2nd and Alpha to jump and dash (although I personally prefer Alpha to jump and 2nd to dash, since I can hold the dash key more easily while jumping). I don't think people would have many issues if the power-up key was the same as the dash key, as this is how it used to work in Mario.

I know it's possible to use different controls, since someone on TI-Planet forked Oriam to use 2nd to jump, but it's up to you.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

MateoConLechuga

I was going to add the ability to define one's own control scheme; but I've gotten fed up with people talking about it and don't really feel like doing it. Since obviously people can just fork it and do how they see fit; I don't see the problem.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah sorry to hear D:, and yeah I understand. Sorry for asking again >.<. But yeah if the project is open-source then I don't see why they can't implement such feature themselves or add improvements (although there isn't that much else to improve in the game IMHO).

Also I hope many people makes levels. I have made one but I want to add more to my pack. The current level in the works is even harder than Rainbow Road, though <_<
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

p4nix

EDIT: I didn't know about the weird keypad hardware thing (I don't own a TI calculator), so check the posts below!
Switching the keys is as easy as manipulating the interrupt isr_keyboard in the main.c (https://github.com/MateoConLechuga/Oiram/blob/master/src/main.c) file.
Just exchange:

pressed_up      = (g7_key & kb_Up);

with

pressed_up = (SOMETHINGELSE);

if you don't like jump being on up and recompile. And if you want bonus-points, just make a fork which allows changing keys ingame and everyone will give you a nice karma++ ;)
Please note that I don't have a CE so I won't even bother setting up Mateo's SDK.

[spoiler]On a side note, it is sad to see how very active users like @MateoConLechuga, @DJ Omnimaga and so on are forced to 'produce content' and 'work hard' especially by users who don't do anything at all and not even check out the source code. Why even set up a project as open source if noone cares at all? After all, calc programming is a hobby which should be funny and relaxing, not exhausting.[/spoiler]
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

PT_

Quote from: Adriweb
Having it bound to that key is not as simple as one may think when dealing with other behaviour that can happen, for instance when holding keys etc. Technically, blame "weird keypad hardware" (Mateo said "I can only generate an interrupt on a data change, so if you are holding the jump key and press a different key, it will register as a jump"). I've heard it's similar, in a way, to the current "hold [up] and press any key to jump", although I've never actually had any issue with this one with [up] as jump ; maybe this conflicts with other key groups if it's put on [2nd]?

Adriweb

Reposting here another post of mine...

The "[2nd] for jump" matter has come up quite a few times already on community forums, and there's already a fork that has it changed that way. I had already discussed it with Mateo a few days ago, and it's not like he hasn't tried different keybindings already and refusing to change that to piss people off, you know :P

Having it bound to that key is not as simple as one may think when dealing with other behaviour that can happen, for instance when holding keys etc. Technically, blame "weird keypad hardware" (Mateo said "I can only generate an interrupt on a data change, so if you are holding the jump key and press a different key, it will register as a jump"). I've heard it's similar, in a way, to the current "hold [up] and press any key to jump", although I've never actually had any issue with this one with [up] as jump ; maybe this conflicts with other key groups if it's put on [2nd]?

But anyway, indeed Oiram is open-source, making it a great opportunity for everyone to learn from the code, and try experimenting with it if they so desire...

And if someone ends up being able to make a version that actually has "better" controls by default (rather: liked by more people, since there's no universal truth in all this...) while having no weird issues under specific circumstances (key holding and whatnot), then it's great, and they can (should) also submit a PR on Mateo's repo on Github. Contributing, sharing ideas/improvement/feedback (constructive criticism) on the code etc. is what open-source is all about.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

xMarminq_

Black screen happened again! Current version
+1

Seems to happen more.
Was just playing my custom lvl and it did that. There were not a lot of enemies on the screen either.

Edited this post because of quote below me
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

p4nix

Quote from: xMarminq_ on January 07, 2017, 02:11:54 PM
Black screen happened again! Current version
This is not how to file a bug report.
What have you done before the black screen happened, are you able to reproduce that behaviour?
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

xMarminq_

Red koopas don't have restrictions to where they walk on the red/blue/green semi-blocks
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84 Plus CE, Ti-84 Plus (can be borrowed from my school)
I don't associate with associations

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: p4nix on January 07, 2017, 12:14:17 PM

[spoiler]On a side note, it is sad to see how very active users like @MateoConLechuga, @DJ Omnimaga and so on are forced to 'produce content' and 'work hard' especially by users who don't do anything at all and not even check out the source code. Why even set up a project as open source if noone cares at all? After all, calc programming is a hobby which should be funny and relaxing, not exhausting.[/spoiler]

The TI community needs at least 10000 more users active at the same time in order to be able to sustain team projects. Normally, about 1-3% of the people in a community do something, meaning that if we got about 100 active users across all sites then this means only about 2-3 people will do stuff. I do notice plenty of cool projects by other people, though. The problem is that many projects don't get finished and I saw the same problem happen in every community I've been to (such as those Mario and Metroid fan game forums). That's the way of life, sadly, and even crowdfundscrewed projects are affected.

Quote from: xMarminq_ on January 07, 2017, 06:53:44 PM
Red koopas don't have restrictions to where they walk on the red/blue/green semi-blocks
Is that what causes the black screen?

Quote from: Adriweb on January 07, 2017, 01:14:07 PM
Reposting here another post of mine...

The "[2nd] for jump" matter has come up quite a few times already on community forums, and there's already a fork that has it changed that way. I had already discussed it with Mateo a few days ago, and it's not like he hasn't tried different keybindings already and refusing to change that to piss people off, you know :P

But anyway, indeed Oiram is open-source, making it a great opportunity for everyone to learn from the code, and try experimenting with it if they so desire...

And if someone ends up being able to make a version that actually has "better" controls by default (rather: liked by more people, since there's no universal truth in all this...) while having no weird issues under specific circumstances (key holding and whatnot), then it's great, and they can (should) also submit a PR on Mateo's repo on Github. Contributing, sharing ideas/improvement/feedback (constructive criticism) on the code etc. is what open-source is all about.
I seem to recall something about monochrome ASM/Axe games having issues detecting keys not grouped in a specific way, making it difficult to make games such as Fruit Ninja to work properly. Is that what you mean? Also, those who make ASM libraries like xLIB and Celtic always seemed to have serious difficulties allowing support for multi-keypresses other than arrows + 2nd.

Adriweb

Possibly - I don't know myself the technical details of what's going on on the hardware side that's making this limitation/annoyance.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah same. So I can't really understand what your post mean, but I did hear tidbits about grouped key issues related to the keypad hardware in the past on monochrome models. Is there any visual chart or wiki documentation about this?

Adriweb

Dream of Omnimaga

That looks kinda bad (the numpad not even being in the same group, if I understand correctly). Casio does what TIn't.

Dream of Omnimaga

Sorry for the double post but MateoC I found a new bug in the level editor (I don't know if it was fixed yet) which involves level corruption: I don't know how to reproduce it, but basically, once I got done with my 2nd stage, I added a 3rd one to my level pack which was 20x253, but when saving it, Mario always started at the last stage no matter if the new level was 1st with a start position setup.

So I closed the level editor then restarted it, only to find out that whenever I try to reload my level pack, it now says "OriamLevelEditor has stopped working". I can no longer open it to edit it, so in other words, I lost everything unless there's a way to repair my level pack D:

I am attaching the level pack below (it works fine on-calc but it starts at the wrong level):

EDIT: I just noticed that Oiram saves the last stage you're in, so this is why I started at level 3 lol, although it's weird since the previous version I have beaten had 2 levels. Anyway this is what my level looks like on-calc now that I can play it: The width seems wrong (it's supposed to be the default 20)