Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

The Anagram Times! [news] [politics] [anagrams]

Started by JWinslow23, April 26, 2016, 09:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JWinslow23

An anagram is a word or phrase made by rearranging the letters of another word or phrase (for example: Astronomers = Moon starers). Generally, these new words and phrases are related to the subject, but in rare cases they can be used to mean the exact opposite (for example: Within earshot = "I won't hear this"). These can even be humorous and outside-the-box (for example: Mother-in-law = Woman Hitler).

The Anagram Times is a news website where news articles and current events are re-interpreted as anagrams. Headlines, important names, and quotes from news articles are taken and anagrammed into different phrases.

Some excellent recent stories to come out of The Anagram Times are:

Cruz and Kasich take on Trump = Men's pact: run, kick out hazard.

Boehner wants Paul Ryan for President = Say, power baron lined up fresh entrant

Alton Towers = Lot to answer

Couple sits on bench. After a while they got up = Scene's nice: the two photograph beautifully

Mars Food tells customers to go easy on the pasta sauce = To analyse: Seems too processed, too much salt, sugar, fat

This is an example of a recent story I submitted (I made it into a gif showing the letters moving):

I have a challenge for some of the more experience wordsmiths on here: make a story yourself, from the headline of a recent news story. Take whatever software you prefer for crafting anagrams (I prefer Anagram Artist myself), or craft one by hand, and submit it to The Anagram Times as a possible story for inclusion.

Submit your anagrams here, and look out for them on the front page! I'm interested in seeing your interpretations of the news!

Dream of Omnimaga

THe first thing I wondered is if there was an automated tool to generate anagrams because I suck myself at doing them letter by letter. I am tempted to try with CW or Internet-related ones, though.

Who knows, maybe we could take the story of First Fantasy: Mana Force then make a brand new one? O.O

EDIT: Woah, are there really that many possible combinations (several thousands) for Lose the game?
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 26, 2016, 11:31:57 PM
THe first thing I wondered is if there was an automated tool to generate anagrams because I suck myself at doing them letter by letter. I am tempted to try with CW or Internet-related ones, though.

Who knows, maybe we could take the story of First Fantasy: Mana Force then make a brand new one? O.O

EDIT: Woah, are there really that many possible combinations (several thousands) for Lose the game?
There is, in the way that you're thinking of, but it costs $34.95 USD. It's wonderful for automatic generation of great anagrams, but the price turns me off to it. Besides, what if you want to make a 1000 letter anagram? :P

Also, sure there are, because there are a lot of words, and the letters in "LOSE THE GAME" are pretty common letters in words. But out of those, only YOU can decide which make sense. My favorite:

Lose the game = Glee to shame.

EDIT: Perhaps we could team up to create one of these games:

Nasty Tariffs: Roman Cafe
Tiffany's Star: Came On Far
Raft Fins Stay: Ocean Farm

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah I tried an online generator and the main issue is that most words did not mix well and 99% had totally obscure words I never heard before.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Dream of Omnimaga

I'll check this out. My main issue is finding anagrams with verbs that matches the right tense and fits. >.<

Also for those who have over 100 posts on Omni: https://www.omnimaga.org/spam/anagrams-of-the-game I lost :P

JWinslow23

Submitted new story!

This was published just recently, and I'd also gotten an email back from Anu Garg (the guy that runs the site...likely a pseudonym, since Anagram Genius = Name Is Anu Garg) regarding this story, saying "Love it!". Apparently he thinks it's clever. :)

Dream of Omnimaga

I like how the anagram seems related to the original sentence. :P

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 28, 2016, 06:58:44 PM
I like how the anagram seems related to the original sentence. :P
Yeah, usually an anagram is related to the original subject, like "Angered = Enraged". Of course, there are some anagrams that are directly opposite the subject, like "The Oscar Nomination = It's not a cinema honor". My personal favorites are the ones that are simply funny, such as "He's a legend in his own mind = Neil Diamond, when he sings". XD

Dream of Omnimaga

Does your anagram generator actually manage to find matching topics, or do you just provide it matching words?

JWinslow23

Quote from: DJ Omnimaga on April 30, 2016, 12:32:14 AM
Does your anagram generator actually manage to find matching topics, or do you just provide it matching words?
Anagram Artist is entirely focused on human anagram generation, and the software simply helps. It has one screen that gives you all the words you can possibly make with your subject (and you can select 5 levels of "commonness" to look at), and you are able to enter in option to restrict your words to the ones you want (you can look for a synonym of a word, or look at only words with or without certain letters, or find a certain part of speech, etc.). To make anagrams and enter keywords, you simply type them in the Anagram field. If 25 letters are left, it also auto-generates anagram candidates (not all of them make sense, though, and if it can't make an anagram, it says that it's not possible).

Anagram Genius is almost entirely focused on automatic generation of anagrams. Simply type in a name or phrase, then anagrams are automatically generated and ranked. You can help steer the search in the right direction by offering keywords and topics, and you can select the best anagrams at the end to keep.

As for that specific anagram (and most others I make), I used Anagram Artist, already having the keyword "Mid-East" in mind. Then, I saw the word "action" as a keyword, so I included that. "Refuse at" seemed like the best words usable with the letters that were left.

Dream of Omnimaga

Ah ok. It would be epic if someone made a software that was smart enough to generate relevant anagrams. :P

Also apparently there are combinations possible for Walriichu, but I don't know if any would make sense. :P

Flippanteer

Does the anagram times accept funny or less relevant news as well? Or does it prefer more big world of cultural news? (Thinking along the lines of nottheonion type news)
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-84+, TI-86, TI-NSpire CX CAS, TI-1706III, TI-30XIIS, TI-30XS Multiview, TI-36X Solar

JWinslow23

Quote from: Flippanteer on April 30, 2016, 03:59:03 AM
Does the anagram times accept funny or less relevant news as well? Or does it prefer more big world of cultural news? (Thinking along the lines of nottheonion type news)
It should accept any type of recent news. It even recently accepted a news article titled "Couple Sits On Bench" (about Will and Kate's visit to the Taj Mahal). So as long as your anagram isn't something like "Twenty unphilosophical bees fetch outrage", it should be fine.

Also, I got an email regarding this one from Anu Garg saying "You're scaring me!", and I don't know if he's referring to a Trump Presidency, or my volume of recent news offerings in a short amount of time.

Here is another one. This is one of my personal favorites: