Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

Programming Ideas

Started by 123outerme, December 06, 2015, 08:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123outerme

Post your programming/game ideas here!

I had an amazing idea for a 3d-ish game for the CSE. It takes advantage of the fact that you can run xLIBC code without going into half-res mode, where it'll draw both sides of the screen simultaneously. Although you won't be able to use double-buffer techniques like switching between buffers to create a more seamless experience, 3D!!! *.*  Of course, you'll also have to make a 3D viewer like Google Cardboard but if it's easy to make and understand the directions, I'll play the game!
I'm not going to make that, so someone else can if they want.
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+CSE, TI-nspire Clickpad, TI-84+SE

Dream of Omnimaga

Unfortunately, the ideas I got are games I want to make myself, which includes First Fantasy II, but one thing I would like to see is PC/PICO-8 ports of calculator games. Juju made one of Supersonic Ball a year ago, but it was not 100% finished and his Reuben Quest remake was even less complete. It could be remakes or direct (colored?) ports of anything that don't already exist for those platforms. Maybe some of the Axe classics from past contests or more recent ones?

Something like Contra in Axe would be nice as well. Or Metroid style. For the 84+CE, I would like to see a port of Axe or something similar (I think Cumred is on it?)

Other ideas that come to mind are PC remakes of calculator RPGs. It could just be an RPG Maker game or something coded from scratch, as long as it doesn't just use stock graphics for dungeon tilesets.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Calculator RPG's ported to PC would actually be cool, especially if the graphics are cool :).
  • Calculators owned: TI-84+
Legends say if you spam more than DJ Omnimaga, you will become a walrus...

alexgt

I have lots of ideas like don't touch the white tile, and other games but I don't want to start new projects especially since I am going to work on MinePrime when I get SynText done.
  • Calculators owned: Ti-84+, Ti-Nspire, Hp Prime, Broken HP Prime, HP 48SX

p4nix

How about PC games ported to calculator.
Crysis 3 on TI-84 in 3D.

* p4nix runs
  • Calculators owned: fx9860GII (SH4)

Dream of Omnimaga

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on December 07, 2015, 01:30:13 PM
Calculator RPG's ported to PC would actually be cool, especially if the graphics are cool :).
Ideally I would like to use 320x240 with 16x16 tiles, but RMVX does larger resolution. I could scale art up but then it would look weird when characters are not aligned to the pixel with the background.
  • Calculators owned: TI-82 Advanced Edition Python TI-84+ TI-84+CSE TI-84+CE TI-84+CEP TI-86 TI-89T cfx-9940GT fx-7400G+ fx 1.0+ fx-9750G+ fx-9860G fx-CG10 HP 49g+ HP 39g+ HP 39gs (bricked) HP 39gII HP Prime G1 HP Prime G2 Sharp EL-9600C
  • Consoles, mobile devices and vintage computers owned: Huawei P30 Lite, Moto G 5G, Nintendo 64 (broken), Playstation, Wii U

Snektron

Well you could always just make pixel games, where each ' pixel'  is 4 or 9 physical pixels, so you get full resolution without needing to update art :)

Dream of Omnimaga

Yeah that's what I meant actually. 2*2 pixels are more likely.

Snektron

With modern graphics it's pretty easy to set up a virtual screen to render to (FBO's) of say 96*64 pixels and stretch that across the whole screen, interpollating as needed.

alexgt

Quote from: p4nix on December 07, 2015, 07:53:23 PM
How about PC games ported to calculator.
Crysis 3 on TI-84 in 3D.

* p4nix runs
* alexgt wishes

c4ooo

Quote from: Cumred_Snektron on December 09, 2015, 07:45:55 PM
With modern graphics it's pretty easy to set up a virtual screen to render to (FBO's) of say 96*64 pixels and stretch that across the whole screen, interpollating as needed.
Is it not recommended to use GLviewPort() to lower the resolution of the screen?

Snektron

That probably uses a FBO internally too, but i'd use my own FBO since you can control that more (interpollation types etc). Big games usually have multiple FBO's too.

Jokeriske

"The Lost Survivors

There's an earthquake that destroyed a nuclear power plant wich exploded.

The whole city is infected with radiation and zombies. You are hit in a car accident the night before it happend.

You wake up in a abandoned hospital.

Your adventure start's here. You need to get to the safe zone but is it possible?

Good luck. "

oh god i really hope we could ever make that game because the storyline we wrote is so good

alexgt

Nice storyline! But what would the game be? Shoot 'em up or what.

Jokeriske

Quote from: alexgt on May 15, 2016, 01:37:18 PM
Nice storyline! But what would the game be? Shoot 'em up or what.

that was just a description of what it would be like, normally it would have been a openworld ish survival ish zombie shooter, but not like GTA or something but yeah with side quests and stuff