Join us on Discord!
You can help CodeWalrus stay online by donating here.

How to code an mp4 video

Started by Ephraim Becker, November 27, 2015, 01:40:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ephraim Becker

Is there a way to code a mp4 video from scratch? How do I do it?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII
I have Aspergers Syndrome

bb010g

"Code" a MP4? Please be more specific. Also, what resources have you already looked at?
  • Calculators owned: HP 50g, Prime, 28S, 35S, Casio Prizm, dead Nspire CX CAS

Adriweb

• Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios
Co-founder & co-administrator of TI-Planet and Inspired-Lua

Ephraim Becker

What programming language do I use to program an mp4 video?
  • Calculators owned: TI 84 Plus, TI 84 Plus C Silver Edition, TI 84 Plus CE, Casio FX-9750 GII

bb010g

Quote from: Ephraim Becker on November 27, 2015, 02:28:33 AM
What programming language do I use to program an mp4 video?
What have you looked at already? We won't help you unless you prove that you've tried at least an iota already.

Ephraim Becker

bb010g

Ok. So you want to play a MP4 video, not "code" one (whatever that means)?

Ephraim Becker

Travis

So you're talking about creating animations? That's one thing. Actually decoding (or encoding) a codec like MPEG is not something you want to be trying to do from scratch at this stage. (I'm not sure very many of us here even know how to do that.) Better just use a program or library for that part.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Ephraim Becker

I actually want to program an mp4 video from scratch in C. How do I do that?

Travis

I really don't understand what you're saying. MP4 is not a programming language. It's just a linear, non-interactive stream of data. If you really want to learn codecs, you're best off starting really, really small. First figure out how bitmaps are stored. Then basic lossless compression (RLE, PNG/GIF, etc.). Then JPEG. Then some very early, very simple lossy codecs. MPEG4/H264 is insanely complicated (and that's not including the audio). It can take literally years to get up to speed with this stuff.
  • Calculators owned: TI-81, TI-82, TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, 2 × HP 50g

Adriweb

Quote from: Ephraim Becker on November 27, 2015, 02:51:06 AMprogram an mp4 video
This does not make sense. "program" or "code" are verbs that don't go with "mp4" or "video". It's like asking "Put your glasses on and listen to the nice smell".
What are you actually trying to do? The end goal.

Also what tev said.
  • Calculators owned: TI-Nspire CX CAS, TI-Nspire CX, TI-Nspire CAS (x3), TI-Nspire (x2), TI-Nspire CM-C CAS, TI-Nspire CAS+, TI-80, TI-82 Stats.fr, TI-82 Plus, TI-83 Plus, TI-83 Plus.fr USB, TI-84+, TI-84+ Pocket SE, TI-84+ C Silver Edition, TI-84 Plus CE, TI-89 Titanium, TI-86, TI-Voyage 200, TI-Collège Plus, TI-Collège Plus Solaire, 3 HP, some Casios

Ephraim Becker

I know that mp4 is not a programming language. I want to know if I can code an mp4 file in C.

Adriweb

Dude. Read what we just said.

Edit:
Actually, here you go, some C code to code an mp4:
FILE* f = fopen("THEREYOUGO.mp4", "rb");
fclose(f);

Ephraim Becker

Any tutorials for how to program an mp4 video in C? I can't find any in my google search or bing search.